Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-18-10, 09:40 PM   #1
rym002
Ray M

Unhappy Hard Crash using MultiSeat

I have a multiseat setup using a GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 and a GT220. The 6150SE is and onboard VGA and teh GT220 is PCIe. Under gentoo kernel 2.6.30-gentoo-r4, I have no issues with this setup. I am trying to upgrade to a 2.6.32 kernel and get a hard crash after X tries to start. If i change the bios setting to make the GT220 the primary display device, I have no issues booting. I think the issue is VGA_ARB, because if i select EMBEDDED and uncheck VGA_ARB then the system boot normally (I have to select EMBEDDED in order to make the option to unselect VGA_ARB). The system crashes hard before an messages can be logged. I would like to keep the system console on the 6150 because I use the ttys there. Any ideas?
rym002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-10, 10:05 PM   #2
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Hard Crash using MultiSeat

Multiseat is not a supported configuration.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-10, 05:22 AM   #3
LIONSTRACS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
Multiseat is not a supported configuration.
Hi Aaron
we have here the same issue..
Do you have one estimate date when this Multiseat configuration wil be again supported?
With the OLD Ubuntu 8.10 was working...now on Ubuntu 9.10 is left...pity.
here the demo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayN7nil1OPE
LIONSTRACS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-10, 10:51 AM   #4
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Multiseat has never been an officially supported configuration, but it sometimes just works anyway. We have no plans to add official support for it or debug why it's not working now.

Your karaoke machine seems like it's running custom software, right? You should be able to use a single X server with multiple screens instead of multiseat to achieve the same effect.

If you're using the same driver and upgrading the rest of the system caused it to stop working, then it sounds like a bug outside the NVIDIA driver.
Old 03-19-10, 12:22 PM   #5
LIONSTRACS

Thanks for reply
honestly my company have havy supported the Xorg server 1.7 developement for resume back this old features:http://www.x.org/wiki/Server17Branch
Tiago Vignatti have worked half year to make working again the Multiseat xorg server and Kernel 2.6.32.
Now the system seem a little working with the noveao drivers BUT are to much slow and will inizialize only one VGA of each card.
We use the Mainboard K10N78 with the 2 embedded VGA+DVI, plus one Geforce 8400GS:
http://www.lionstracs.com/store/images/groove/Pcie2.JPG
that integrate the LVDS interface ( our project)
So..total we have now 4 VGA out ports, but only one of the GS8400 is enalbe.

We don't use custom software, we are running our musical application under a standard Kubuntu 9.10.
We just open automatically some interface on external VGA outs.
I can not use the single X server because then we are not able to changes virtual desktops on each VGA outs.
We need multiple X server where on each display we can running independent application.
If we use your FAST Nvidia driver ( that we need for streaming video too) for each PCIe card, then crash...
On old Ubuntu 9.04 with 32bit Mainboard + Nvidia driver ( without PCIexpress slot) all was running well for many years, we have tested up to 6 monitors.

fedora 12 now have integrated..but stil not work so well and fast..
anyway..let me know if you there can fix some...
regards
Old 03-19-10, 11:40 PM   #6
rym002
Ray M

Thanks for the response about not supporting MultiSeat. How do you explain when I disable multiseat and try to startx with the GT220 as the only card defined in xorg.conf it hard crashes, but startx with the 6150SE has no issue. Also if i run Xorg -configure and try to startx with the new xorg.conf it hard crashes. It seems to me there is some issue with the driver and VGA_ARB. I have attached the xorg.conf generated by Xorg -configure, that causes a hard crash (is this a supported configuration) and the bug report.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (39.4 KB, 68 views)
File Type: gz xorg.conf.new.gz (586 Bytes, 68 views)
Old 03-20-10, 03:30 AM   #7
LIONSTRACS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
You should be able to use a single X server with multiple screens instead of multiseat to achieve the same effect.

If you're using the same driver and upgrading the rest of the system caused it to stop working, then it sounds like a bug outside the NVIDIA driver.
hi Aaron
Just the last question:
You mean IF we use the current single X server with multiple screens, the NVIDIA driver will run up and make working the TWO vga port of the PCIexpress 8400GS? ( VGA+DVI)
If yes, for the moment I can have enough, just for use one external TFT 22" display, untill the multiseat is working again.
we use on this configuration:
The 8400GS have two outputs, VGA is connected to the 800x600 TFT display and the DVI is free to use, with one external display.
In attachment my xorg.conf, do you have a idea how we have to configure for make running two screen with single x server?
really thanks for your help!

Domenik
www.lionstracs.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pcislots.jpeg
Views:	79
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	39790  
Attached Files
File Type: zip xorg.zip (871 Bytes, 73 views)
Old 03-20-10, 12:40 PM   #8
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

There's a section on how to do it in the README: Chapter 15. Configuring Multiple X Screens on One Card.

You can try configuring it automatically by running "nvidia-xconfig -a --separate-x-screens".

Old 03-20-10, 02:26 PM   #9
rym002
Ray M

I assume you are going to ignore the fact that accessing the GT220 causes a crash when it is the only device configured in xorg.conf.
Old 03-20-10, 04:20 PM   #10
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

It does sound like a VGA arbiter problem. Please attach a bug report from 195.36.15.
Old 03-24-10, 08:05 PM   #11
rym002
Ray M

With 195.36.15 I cannot get the system to boot, it crashes before the init scripts start to run. If I change the primary display in the system bios to the GT220 I am able to boot. Here is the bug report with the primary display set to the GT220.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (44.8 KB, 67 views)