Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-22-10, 12:42 PM   #13
frenchy2k1

Default Re: Switzlerland Bans "Violent" Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toss3 View Post
I wish we could ban idiotic politicians..
You can, it's called campaigning and voting...
Old 03-22-10, 01:25 PM   #14
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearclaw View Post
@ MadPistol - Not sure on that. Not trying to start something but more-so just an observation...

While I agree with you completely on what you said, just going off of the smoking thing, most people are pretty complacent and comply with the smoking ban here in Chicago. Interesting.

Again, I agree though with the way people will circumvent the law. I suppose it just comes down to what you can get away with? Much easier to order a game online or pirate it rather than go smoke in an "illegal" place.
The government, at least in the US, has done a good job of slowly turning the water temperature up about how evil smoking is, resulting in the frog that is the population not even really noticing its near-ban until it was upon us and most minds were altered to accept it as a horrible, horrible act.

Every time I watch 80s movies I miss smoking, and I never even was a smoker.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-10, 01:26 PM   #15
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by omzig View Post
Not sure you can draw a parallel with a smoking ban though....passive smoking is a proven killer and a real danger to ppls health,im yet you hear of a case of a passive gamer going on a killing rampage
Gaming is not good for your health either, neither is red meat, sugary drinks or couches for that matter.

Banning everything bad for you is ridiculous and leads to this kind of stupidity in Switzerland. Unless it harms someone else, which smoking at home or in designated structures like a bar does not, it should be left for people to decide what they want to do with themselves.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Old 03-22-10, 02:32 PM   #16
lightman

Send a message via ICQ to lightman

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy2k1 View Post
You can, it's called campaigning and voting...
Sure, provided there is at least one politician those views/ideas you can relate to. Not always the case (and I would say that here (.it) it's almost never the case)
lightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-10, 02:54 PM   #17
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightman View Post
Sure, provided there is at least one politician those views/ideas you can relate to. Not always the case (and I would say that here (.it) it's almost never the case)
There are more than 2 parties, more than 2 candidates... the simple fact is that there are tons of quality alternatives but people ignore them because they don't want to put the effort in to find out about them, support them, and drum up interest in them against a media who are bias to the two main parties.

Old 03-22-10, 03:42 PM   #18
omzig
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
Gaming is not good for your health either, neither is red meat, sugary drinks or couches for that matter.

Banning everything bad for you is ridiculous and leads to this kind of stupidity in Switzerland. Unless it harms someone else, which smoking at home or in designated structures like a bar does not, it should be left for people to decide what they want to do with themselves.
In the case of smoking its not about banning whats bad for YOU its about banning something that poeple do thats passively bad for the health of others who dont smoke

Sure if anyone wants to smoke at home (i dont think parents have the right to make there kids passivley smoke though if you have kids plz take that **** outside) or in places with other smokers thats cool they can poison each other all they like,smoking bans atleast here in england are restricted to public places and places that serve food and why not after all the right of smokers to damage there health should not supersed my right to protect my own health

Yep i agree Banning Violent games or anything for that matter to protect individuals is stupid let them make up there own minds,but banning things that passively effect the standard of living of others well thats not so stupid,after all you wouldnt un-ban the passive effects of getting behind the wheel of a car while your drunk of stoned off your face now would you?
omzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-10, 08:31 PM   #19
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by omzig View Post
In the case of smoking its not about banning whats bad for YOU its about banning something that poeple do thats passively bad for the health of others who dont smoke

Sure if anyone wants to smoke at home (i dont think parents have the right to make there kids passivley smoke though if you have kids plz take that **** outside) or in places with other smokers thats cool they can poison each other all they like,smoking bans atleast here in england are restricted to public places and places that serve food and why not after all the right of smokers to damage there health should not supersed my right to protect my own health
The owner of the building or restaurant should decide, not you or the government, if he wants smoking in HIS establishment or not. Don't want second-hand smoke? Eat somewhere else.

I am not a smoker and smoke bothers my eyes, but I would eat elsewhere, not ruin their relaxing meal.

Old 03-22-10, 09:56 PM   #20
t3hl33td4rg0n
Dethklok Returns!

Send a message via AIM to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via MSN to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via Yahoo to t3hl33td4rg0n

Here in Ohio they banned smoking anywhere inside a public place, including bars. I quit smoking last October (switched to e-cigs) and haven't looked back. The nice thing about e-cigs is that you can still smoke them anywhere you want, even airports.

Although, can't help but laugh when I see a big crowds of people in front of bars freezing their asses off smoking.

Intel QX9650 @ 3.83GHzXFX 780ieVGA GTX 560Ti8GB GSkill DDR800Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium PCI-ESeagate 1.5TB . 4x Samsung 2TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTin View Post
....it's so clear how government makes things worse not better...
t3hl33td4rg0n is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-10, 11:06 PM   #21
skank
Smeg Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
The owner of the building or restaurant should decide, not you or the government, if he wants smoking in HIS establishment or not. Don't want second-hand smoke? Eat somewhere else.

I am not a smoker and smoke bothers my eyes, but I would eat elsewhere, not ruin their relaxing meal.
Exactly. I used to smoke and even then I didn't like people smoking around me eating, this is why most restaurants in the UK had a sizeable no-smoking section. Now there is no smoking in any enclosed public space, this includes PRIVATELY owned bars and restaurants. An enclosed public space in the UK is any structure with 3 or more closed sides. That includes bus shelters. HA.

Bring back smoking, as said, if you don't like smoke, piss off elsewhere (para-phrased).
Old 03-23-10, 01:56 AM   #22
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hl33td4rg0n View Post
Here in Ohio they banned smoking anywhere inside a public place, including bars. I quit smoking last October (switched to e-cigs) and haven't looked back. The nice thing about e-cigs is that you can still smoke them anywhere you want, even airports.

Although, can't help but laugh when I see a big crowds of people in front of bars freezing their asses off smoking.
thats great, smoking should be banned everywhere in public, if you want to smoke do it in your house.
Old 03-23-10, 09:25 AM   #23
Bearclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
thats great, smoking should be banned everywhere in public, if you want to smoke do it in your house.
I completely agree with this. Chicago is doing great on it though. They've banned smoking inside EVERYWHERE in the city. It's a start.
Old 03-23-10, 09:30 AM   #24
t3hl33td4rg0n
Dethklok Returns!

Send a message via AIM to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via MSN to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via Yahoo to t3hl33td4rg0n

Smokers dont bother me

Intel QX9650 @ 3.83GHzXFX 780ieVGA GTX 560Ti8GB GSkill DDR800Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium PCI-ESeagate 1.5TB . 4x Samsung 2TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTin View Post
....it's so clear how government makes things worse not better...
t3hl33td4rg0n is offline   Reply With Quote