Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-23-10, 07:09 AM   #13
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Default Re: I have seen the future....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt8DEEEMTHw

Se for yourselves, PhysX is no "gimmick". It adds a lot to the level of immersion while playing the game, and only NVIDIA DX11 card owners will get the full experience of this game.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/me...ge/review.html
Game critics agree with me that it's a lot of fun.

This what I mean when I say ATi users lock themselves out of what high end gaming has become- you get no PhysX, and this game is optomised for 3D Vision as well.

This stuff transcends brand loyalty IMO- buying an ATi card now is just too limiting. ATi is doing nothing to advance the computer gaming experience.

PhysX is a gimmick. If nvidia was serious about "advancing the gaming experience" they would make it work on all cards so that developers wouldn't have to use it only for minor effects that could be run on any physics engine 10 years ago(or at least let us with ATI cards use a separate PhysX card as well). Mirror's Edge is a perfect example of this. That Metro 2033 video is pathetic as well. Oh and guess what? They've limited the code they've written for PhysX games so that it only runs on one core when using the software version. When properly utilized PhysX runs perfectly on a CPU as well as shown here. Only when running a separate card for PhysX does it outperform the CPU+GPU setup, but that nvidia has kindly chosen not to mention on the box of their graphics-cards.

3DVision is a great feature however. Wish there were better monitors out for it though(3D TVs coming this year).
Old 03-23-10, 07:15 AM   #14
Razor1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toss3 View Post
PhysX is a gimmick. If nvidia was serious about "advancing the gaming experience" they would make it work on all cards so that developers wouldn't have to use it only for minor effects that could be run on any physics engine 10 years ago(or at least let us with ATI cards use a separate PhysX card as well). Mirror's Edge is a perfect example of this. That Metro 2033 video is pathetic as well. Oh and guess what? They've limited the code they've written for PhysX games so that it only runs on one core when using the software version. When properly utilized PhysX runs perfectly on a CPU as well as shown here. Only when running a separate card for PhysX does it outperform the CPU+GPU setup, but that nvidia has kindly chosen not to mention on the box of their graphics-cards.

3DVision is a great feature however. Wish there were better monitors out for it though(3D TVs coming this year).
Hey nV owns physX, they can tell ATi to f*ck it if they want to, and that's what they did, so don't go trying to justify your stance by not understanding business tactics. ATi lacks physics on their cards, and at the moment physX has the marketshare lead.
Razor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-10, 07:21 AM   #15
K007

wow flame bait thread lol...thread should belong in the offtopic or rumorville or just be locked
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-10, 07:22 AM   #16
Xion X2

Although the original post I thought was pretty innocent, I can't help but say this.

PhysX was and still is a gimmick. The only game that I have ever seen a significant difference in was Mirror's Edge where you walk through the plastic drapes in the warehouse.

There's hardly any difference in PhysX/non-PhysX in that metro video. Oh wow.. you mean my smoke cloud radius is enlarged by half an inch. Cool. And three more metal shards fall to the ground after I shoot a wall. Extra cool.

If you want to see games with really good physics effects then check out the new Battlefield BC or Ghostbusters. Both of those are incredible and stomp Metro's physics into the ground, and both are CPU-based physics--proving that it doesn't take a GPU to render great physics effects.

3D I won't speak for, because I have yet to try it, and it does sound cool. But I'm reluctant to try it until prices on TVs come down, and I also don't like that, up until recently, it's been proprietary. That will always hold new tech back.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-10, 07:36 AM   #17
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor1 View Post
Hey nV owns physX, they can tell ATi to f*ck it if they want to, and that's what they did, so don't go trying to justify your stance by not understanding business tactics. ATi lacks physics on their cards, and at the moment physX has the marketshare lead.
This is exactly my point - it's only being used for marketing and not for "advancing pc gaming" as Rollo put it. Nvidia only cares about the logo they can put on the box. This is also the reason why PhysX should mean jack to customers.

PhysX marketshare lead? Since when?(Note that I'm talking about GPU-assisted PhysX.) Havoc is still the norm in pc-gaming today.

Wish nvidia had never bought Ageia...

K007: As long as people don't resort to name calling a thread like this can be fun!
Old 03-23-10, 07:55 AM   #18
Iruwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by methimpikehoses View Post
Is the future loud and hot?
That might be possible.

I don't believe that though, going 50W above the TDP under normal load (not Furmark) would be extremely bad.

/e: ...and of course impossible. This simply isn't true or wasn't translated properly.
Iruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-10, 08:42 AM   #19
Razor1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toss3 View Post
This is exactly my point - it's only being used for marketing and not for "advancing pc gaming" as Rollo put it. Nvidia only cares about the logo they can put on the box. This is also the reason why PhysX should mean jack to customers.

PhysX marketshare lead? Since when?(Note that I'm talking about GPU-assisted PhysX.) Havoc is still the norm in pc-gaming today.

Wish nvidia had never bought Ageia...

K007: As long as people don't resort to name calling a thread like this can be fun!
Have you seen the marketshare trends?

http://physxinfo.com/articles/?page_id=154

I suggest you do your research.....

PhysX has exploded in marketshare since nV bought out Ageia.
Old 03-23-10, 09:59 AM   #20
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Quote:

We were talking about PC-gaming and that list includes console games. Besides only a handful of those titles actually have gpu-assisted PhysX.

Old 03-23-10, 10:05 AM   #21
Razor1

http://physxinfo.com/articles/wp-con...tion_graph.jpg

yeah there is a various platform uptake chart there too

Without consoles in the mix, phsyX has more then a two fold advantage over Havok.

If you want GPU only physics, why even have this discussion, because is there any game that isn't using PhysX for gpu accellerated physX?
Old 03-23-10, 10:05 AM   #22
weevil

PhysX was and still is a gimmick

You may think that if you know absolutely nothing about APIs

You might as well say that correct physics in gaming is a gimmick. But I hope you won't compound your error
weevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-10, 10:09 AM   #23
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:

Yah, those market trends.

Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-10, 10:12 AM   #24
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Talking Re: I have seen the future....

Quote:
http://physxinfo.com/articles/wp-con...tion_graph.jpg

yeah there is a various platform uptake chart there too

Without consoles in the mix, phsyX has more then a two fold advantage over Havok.

If you want GPU only physics, why even have this discussion, because is there any game that isn't using PhysX for gpu accellerated physX?
Crap games with implementation doesn't mean jack.

Havok still has a lead in tier 1 titles. Heck, per the graphs on the site you linked, it has the lead in the top 3 tiers while PhysX dominates in the bargain basement titles that likely see few installs.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote