Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-23-10, 08:31 AM   #13
Noriega
你妈妈喜欢的阴茎

Default Re: EA To Charge For Game "Demos"

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
Except most demos need a Gold Subscription to download them 0 day.
Yeah, Xbox Live was all about munny and this will countinue 4 eva!
Old 03-23-10, 08:37 AM   #14
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toss3 View Post
Did you read the same quote as I? It clearly states that they would have you pay them to be a beta-tester for the full game.

"involve selling "premium downloadable content" before a packaged game's release."

"A full-blown packaged game would follow shortly after the release of the PDLC, bearing a full retail price"

"then [EA will] take the feedback from the community (press and players) to tweak the follow-on full game that will be released at a normal packaged price point."

No way would I ever pay for a demo.
Um thanks for posting quotes that solidify what I said. They will offer dlc/episodes for games prior to their release, no mention of demos costing money.

I think it's a neat idea. Imagine prior to the release of mass effect 2 they released a dlc that consisted of a prequel to the games events.
Old 03-23-10, 10:00 AM   #15
Kaguya

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
This is one of those media hysteria things.

They meant games like Battlefield 1943... smaller proof of concept games, but complete experiences, that pave the way for larger versions of the same type of thing later.

But feel free to freak out, it is EA after all.
This is what I read from the article too... in the case of Dead Space, it's not that we'll get "Dead Space 2 Demo" for $15, we'll get "Dead Space Bonus", a 3 hour self-contained experience which uses the same tech and playstyle as Dead Space 2. So the feedback from the gameplay would still be valid, but it technically would not be Dead Space 2 - it would be some game all its own in Dead Space style.

I know they intent do make DS2 more run-and-gun than the first, so a tester would be good. If their 'demo' receives a lot of negative feedback, they still have time to fix their major release.
EVGA GeForce GTX 470 x2 SLI
OCZ Vertex 2 EX & Corsair P256
LG GH22NS50 22X DVD-RW SATA
Antec TruePower Quattro 1000w SLI PSU
Acer HN274H 1920x1080 3D Ready LCD
Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
Antec 900 Ultimate Gamer Case
Kaguya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-10, 11:04 AM   #16
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Um thanks for posting quotes that solidify what I said. They will offer dlc/episodes for games prior to their release, no mention of demos costing money.

I think it's a neat idea. Imagine prior to the release of mass effect 2 they released a dlc that consisted of a prequel to the games events.
"Pachter wrote, "The PDLC would be sold for $10 or $15 through Xbox Live and PlayStation Network, and would essentially be a very long game demo, along the lines of 2009ís Battlefield 1943.""

The dlc is a neat idea, but given that this is EA we're talking about, I bet you we're gonna end up paying 15Ä for 10minute-long demos and still have buggy titles on release-day.
Old 03-23-10, 12:13 PM   #17
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toss3 View Post
"Pachter wrote, "The PDLC would be sold for $10 or $15 through Xbox Live and PlayStation Network, and would essentially be a very long game demo, along the lines of 2009ís Battlefield 1943.""

The dlc is a neat idea, but given that this is EA we're talking about, I bet you we're gonna end up paying 15Ä for 10minute-long demos and still have buggy titles on release-day.
Thats Patchers words, not EAs but basically it can be compared very long demo since it would be an addition to the retail product but not part of it (unlike a demo which is a portion of the product).

The portion that you didn't bold is more telling of the type of product, it would be like BF1943 which is a whole game just with less content then BF1942. Do you consider BF1943 a demo?

EA has been one of the best publishers the last few years. They have been lax on DRM, Supported new IPs and allowed their developers to really work on their big IPs in a better fashion. They are not the same company of 5 years ago... they are not Activision.
Old 03-23-10, 12:17 PM   #18
|MaguS|

Too add, I would say that this is EAs answer to Episodic Gaming. They have a Full Retail Product and smaller Episodic Parts of that said product released before and after the Full Retail.

I think we really should change the title of this thread because its not demos they are charging for. They even clarified that...

Quote:
EA is working on a number of projects for delivering premium content to consumers before, during, and after the launch of a packaged-goods version of the game.
Problem is that some of you read that the content would be 1 hour long and automatically assume its a demo that they are releasing rather then tie in content.
Old 03-23-10, 12:21 PM   #19
ViN86

If the games are like Battlefield 1943 I would hardly call them demo's...
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-10, 01:19 PM   #20
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Quote:
Thats Patchers words, not EAs but basically it can be compared very long demo since it would be an addition to the retail product but not part of it (unlike a demo which is a portion of the product).

The portion that you didn't bold is more telling of the type of product, it would be like BF1943 which is a whole game just with less content then BF1942. Do you consider BF1943 a demo?

EA has been one of the best publishers the last few years. They have been lax on DRM, Supported new IPs and allowed their developers to really work on their big IPs in a better fashion. They are not the same company of 5 years ago... they are not Activision.
Okay it seems as though you were right. I clearly misunderstood what was being said, but so apparently did nekrosoft and I think the thread title ought to be changed.

Old 03-23-10, 06:06 PM   #21
-=DVS=-
.:. Lafiel .:.

Thumbs down Re: EA To Charge For Game "Demos"

Quote:
"I think that the plan is to release PDLC at $15 that has 3-4 hours of gameplay
Quote:
(essentially, itís the first few levels of the full-blown game)
LoL ok yeah , game like Metro is like 5 hours of play , ill pay 15$ to play 80% of the game then pay 50$ more bucks to see the ending . AWESOME ! im all over it seriously why not charge for CG trailers that don't even have any game content then charge for demo and then charge again for bigger demo/full game.
Old 03-23-10, 06:22 PM   #22
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=DVS=- View Post
LoL ok yeah , game like Metro is like 5 hours of play , ill pay 15$ to play 80% of the game then pay 50$ more bucks to see the ending . AWESOME ! im all over it seriously why not charge for CG trailers that don't even have any game content then charge for demo and then charge again for bigger demo/full game.
I don't think thats what EA means to do though. I see it as imagine they release a DLC for Metro 2033 that is 3 hours of gameplay that takes place before the actual games story so in a sense its part of the game but the Full Retail would contain different content.

Quote:
"If DICE were able to follow Battlefield 1943 with a full-blown European WWII campaign game a few months later, it would have been a wild success," Pachter said.
Imagine, You pay $15 for BF1943. It's for the most part a pretty nice size game already and later one depending on consumer feedback they would probably release a Retail Product at full price if it sells well but if it didn't they didn't waste as much in development funds as take a chance with going all out on a retail product.

This could be really good for new IPs as they can take risks with new games without it being a huge loss if it fails.
Old 03-23-10, 06:49 PM   #23
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
Imagine, You pay $15 for BF1943. It's for the most part a pretty nice size game already and later one depending on consumer feedback they would probably release a Retail Product at full price if it sells well but if it didn't they didn't waste as much in development funds as take a chance with going all out on a retail product.

This could be really good for new IPs as they can take risks with new games without it being a huge loss if it fails.
Exactly.

Dice were surprised by the success of 1943 on consoles, and this likely spurred development of a real, massive Battlefield online-only game on consoles. This is a spin-off of that sort of thing.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-10, 07:13 PM   #24
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen

IMO, it's great especially for new IPs and in the result, we might get higher quality titles. I don't see how it can be a bad thing...

I like the idea that, say, Mirror's Edge 2 is in development and they released a prequel to that game which contains like 5 levels (depends on how big each level is), few weapons, enemies, cut-scenes and all that for $10. And with all feedbacks we give, will go toward retail version, turning it more polished, balanced and better experience for everyone. It's great for developers actually to know what exact customers want for specific games as well help them fund for game's development. That's just my thoughts.

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP | 4GB G.Skill F2-6400PHU1 @ 800MHz 4-4-3-5 | EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB | Western Digital Raptor X 150GB | Samsung 32" HDTV | Windows 7 Professional x64

Note: English is my second language so please bear with my grammar!
NaitoSan is offline   Reply With Quote