Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-23-10, 07:26 PM   #25
Armed_Baboon
Australian Gamer

Default Re: EA To Charge For Game "Demos"

yeah but what if the feedback from the majority of gamers comes back sounding like:

"it's too complicated".

"I don't understand the inventory system, get rid of it".

"I don't want to have to harvest resources, I just want to kill stuff".

?
Old 03-23-10, 07:38 PM   #26
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armed_Baboon View Post
yeah but what if the feedback from the majority of gamers comes back sounding like:

"it's too complicated".

"I don't want to have to harvest resources, I just want to kill stuff".

?
Feedback doesn't mean they would totally change a game. If they complained about it being too complicated from a large majority then there is something wrong. They either didn't explain it properly or its too cumbersome.

Just to take your example...

Quote:
They can take this as feedback as to something being wrong with the inventory system. They don't have to listen to the feedback about removing it if the game is designed with an inventory system in mind, they just have to change it to make it work better.

I love how PC Elitist are so cut and dry about everything...
Old 03-23-10, 07:41 PM   #27
Noriega
你妈妈喜欢的阴茎

Silly console boi... hmmm

go pay for demos and DLC and multiplayer I'll take it for free.
Old 03-23-10, 07:48 PM   #28
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noriega View Post

Didn't know PSN charged for Multiplayer... I should let Sony know so they can start collecting after all these years.

Hope the future of DRM works out great for you.
Old 03-23-10, 07:57 PM   #29
Noriega
你妈妈喜欢的阴茎

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Didn't know PSN charged for Multiplayer... I should let Sony know so they can start collecting after all these years.

Hope the future of DRM works out great for you.
I'm just annoying you. But yeah, PC gamer is and will be the master race of gaming world for EVER!
Old 03-23-10, 08:00 PM   #30
Armed_Baboon
Australian Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Feedback doesn't mean they would totally change a game. If they complained about it being too complicated from a large majority then there is something wrong. They either didn't explain it properly or its too cumbersome.

Just to take your example...

They can take this as feedback as to something being wrong with the inventory system. They don't have to listen to the feedback about removing it if the game is designed with an inventory system in mind, they just have to change it to make it work better.

I love how PC Elitist are so cut and dry about everything...
what I was trying to say was in response to the idea that customer feedback would improve games - my point is that it can work both ways. particularly if this initiative is driven by the marketing or accounting department rather than the creative areas of the company.

if the marketing department gets a whole lot of feedback that says "we don't understand the inventory system" then you can bet that there will be a push to simplify it, lowest-common-denominator style.

You can't deny there has been a trend to simplify complex gameplay mechanics over the last few years. It would seem that this trend is driven by an attempt to appeal more and more to the masses. By definition, the majority of feedback is going to come from the masses, so a customer feedback program like this could very well accelerate the process of making games more tailored to the masses - who are generally not interested in very complicated gameplay mechanics.

This may not happen, but it's a definite possibility, and a possibility that is worth considering when discussing the merrits of this new proposal from EA.

and can we please try to discuss something without throwing in infammatory name calling at the end of your post?
Old 03-23-10, 08:10 PM   #31
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armed_Baboon View Post
what I was trying to say was in response to the idea that customer feedback would improve games - my point is that it can work both ways. particularly if this initiative is driven by the marketing or accounting department rather than the creative areas of the company.

if the marketing department gets a whole lot of feedback that says "we don't understand the inventory system" then you can bet that there will be a push to simplify it, lowest-common-denominator style.

You can't deny there has been a trend to simplify complex gameplay mechanics over the last few years. It would seem that this trend is driven by an attempt to appeal more and more to the masses. By definition, the majority of feedback is going to come from the masses, so a customer feedback program like this could very well accelerate the process of making games more tailored to the masses - who are generally not interested in very complicated gameplay mechanics.

This may not happen, but it's a definite possibility, and a possibility that is worth considering when discussing the merrits of this new proposal from EA.

and can we please try to discuss something without throwing in infammatory name calling at the end of your post?
But many people here are. Take Noriega's comments in about any multi-platform title in regards to consoles. Would a hug make you feel better?

I know what you are saying about it having the negative affect on a titles development as well, but I am trying to be the optimistic here. EA has been really good to gamers for awhile now, I don't think they would do a 180 on us yet. But even if a title is simplified it doesn't mean it would end up bad. Take Fallout 3 for example, its not an extremely deep title but its a dam good one, as is Mass Effect 2 which by all accounts is a lot more stripped down then the original yet the final product is far better.

Imagine if they would have had a system like this set up for Mass Effect, so insted of waiting for Mass Effect 2 to release to see the changes they did based on feedback they could have released a Premium Content, gotten the feedback and fixed Mass Effect 1.

The only big draw back I think we might see from the start is a longer development cycle for games, but this isn't totally bad since many games are rushed.
Old 03-23-10, 08:34 PM   #32
Armed_Baboon
Australian Gamer

I certainly hope it turns out for the best. the devil will be in the detail no doubt. You're right, EA has certainly been pretty good lately, I think these things go in cycles depending on the fashionable business strategy of the times.

Lots of great games coming out right now, so I'm pretty much just living in the moment for the time being.

edit: thankyou for the hug too.

Old 03-23-10, 10:50 PM   #33
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noriega View Post

From a business standpoint, it's a great decision by EA. I mean they get to essentially test the market for games and then if it's successful, they can put out a much larger version.

Game studios don't make demos as a test bench. If a demo is made, that means the full game is coming. This test bench idea could allow many more game concepts to get a chance. This means we may stop seeing brands milked to death, like practically all PC/console brands have been. For example, Call of Duty, Guitar Hero, etc.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-10, 02:51 AM   #34
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

paying to beta test..how novel!
Old 03-24-10, 06:37 AM   #35
JohnDio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
From a business standpoint, it's a great decision by EA. I mean they get to essentially test the market for games and then if it's successful, they can put out a much larger version.
You do know that this is why they have closed and open beta phases in their games... right?

This is really f*cked up. Say they do this for a stealth game (or a tactical one) and the majority of people that bought it are action fans that want the next big MW2 game. What will happen? The game will change a lot, so that those gamers will like it. Every game will be the same with the other and companies won't care, as long as they make more money. Because... hey... it's business (whatever happened to the slogans like: "Made by gamers for gamers" ?)

Actually, this is already happening without this "system". Take Splinter Cell and Ghost Recon for example. No thank you!
JohnDio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-10, 12:23 PM   #36
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDio View Post
You do know that this is why they have closed and open beta phases in their games... right?

This is really f*cked up. Say they do this for a stealth game (or a tactical one) and the majority of people that bought it are action fans that want the next big MW2 game. What will happen? The game will change a lot, so that those gamers will like it. Every game will be the same with the other and companies won't care, as long as they make more money. Because... hey... it's business (whatever happened to the slogans like: "Made by gamers for gamers" ?)

Actually, this is already happening without this "system". Take Splinter Cell and Ghost Recon for example. No thank you!
Actually no. Developers know what they're aiming for so feedbacks will take into consideration and see how it'll apply for upcoming changes for retail release. Not every feedbacks make it. Developers' not that stupid. That's like saying DICE will definitely make Battlefield game into Poker game.

This could be good change and if they're working on new Rainbow Six game and people want it to be more tactical so those feedbacks will probably bring back what Rainbow Six is supposed to be. Although it's from Ubi but just an idea.

Closed/Open beta- you're missing the point. They're not always open for everyone. They're usually just to stress the servers with multiplayer features. Extra money will give developers more time to add more features and changes based on feedbacks. In the end result more likely we'll get more polished retail game that we will enjoy more.

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP | 4GB G.Skill F2-6400PHU1 @ 800MHz 4-4-3-5 | EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB | Western Digital Raptor X 150GB | Samsung 32" HDTV | Windows 7 Professional x64

Note: English is my second language so please bear with my grammar!
NaitoSan is offline   Reply With Quote