Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-20-10, 11:58 AM   #13
dk75

Default Re: Nvidia Ion, Ubuntu Karmic and Composite

I did that with my old gfx, GF9500 256MB (I had too low memory errors with VDPAU) but this config is long gone.
Here is the only thing that left - maybe you will figure it out.

~/.xinitrc.vdpau
Code:
#!/bin/bash
/usr/bin/nvidia-settings --config=/home/dk75/.nvidia-settings-rc --ctrl-display=:1 --load-config-only
sleep 2
/usr/local/bin/mplayer -noconfig all -vo vdpau -vc ffh264vdpau,ffmpeg12vdpau,ffvc1vdpau,ffwmv3vdpau -demuxer lavf -alang eng,en,jpn,jp,pol,pl -slang eng,en,pol,pl -mc 2 -softvol -softvol-max 200 -ass -fontconfig -fs -tskeepbroken -tsprobe 100000 "$1"
~/.gnome2/nautilus-scripts/Play\ with\ VDPAU...
Code:
gksudo xhost +localhost; sudo xinit /home/dk75/.xinitrc.vdpau "$1" -- :1 -config "/etc/X11/xorg.conf-vdpau" -depth 24 -audit 0 -auth /etc -nolisten tcp -a 2 &
/etc/X11/xorg.conf-vdapu is basically this same as you primary one but with added at the end
Code:
Section "Extensions"
	Option		"Composite"	"Disable"
EndSection
and .nvidia-settings-rc you could prepare different (with new name, like .nvidia-settings-rc-vdpau so it will be not replaced during normal desktop settings testing) or not.

With that you run any VDPAU accelerated file with RightMouseButton on it and by choseing Play with VDPAU... from pulldown menu.
And it should close this new separate screen after closing mplayer.

OK. I've tested it right now and it works. The only thing is that it needs user to type its password and user must be sudoers (administrator privileged).
  • Xorg/XServer 7.6+12/1.11.4
  • GNOME 3.2.2

Last edited by dk75; 05-24-10 at 12:09 PM.
dk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-10, 05:40 PM   #14
rossmoore

Default Re: Nvidia Ion, Ubuntu Karmic and Composite

Oh that's awesome, I didn't understand well enough how to launch an Xsession without relying on all the standard infrastructure that comes with Ubuntu. This just launches a bare X session with mplayer playing. I've tweaked it too use smplayer instead, which has a slightly nicer interface for tweaking options if I need to, and it works a treat. I can just automatically open video files with that script now, and don't even need to right-click to run the script.

Now I guess I can add xhost and xinit to the relevant config file (I'll have to look it up) so that the command can run without the password and we're done.

The piece of training for the wife will be that she needs to hit ctrl-x to stop the video playing - alt+f4, or alt+tab type things won't work. But that's quite easy to cope with I think.

Thanks for the help dk75.

Of course, nvidia, it would be lovely if you could make it an even smoother process...

Thanks,
Ross
rossmoore is offline   Reply With Quote