Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-25-10, 04:48 AM   #1
gulizard
"Powerstroke Diesel"

Send a message via MSN to gulizard Send a message via Skype™ to gulizard
Default Battlefield: BC2 Sniper Cop

This was taken from over at the TotalBF2 forums.

Enjoy this, I found it to be pretty funny, and very true.

Quote:
There technically aren't any snipers in Bad Company 2. There are just players with sniper rifles who are considered recon class. "Recon" is a verb that, surprisingly, doesn't mean "park somewhere off the beaten path and rack up as many kills as you can with no regard for actually trying to win the round or even doing anything to help the other players in your squad".

Yet Bad Company 2 is full of people who don't know that. So I've started playing a new class: the sniper cop.

After the jump, read about how you, too, can be a sniper cop.

You remember that level in Call of Duty 2 where you're storming Stalingrad and there's a kommisar kind of dude with a megaphone berating you as you approach the city? I tried that approach, but minus stuff about the motherland and the glory of Stalin. Unfortunately, my nasally voice coming over Xbox Live saying things like, "Hey, you guys, you really should try to take the objective" and "Uh, can we get a little help over here?" didn't have the same effect as a burly Russian with a big mustache and a megaphone.

So I turned to more persuasive measures. I turned to the essential tool of the Bad Company 2 sniper cop: the tracer dart pistol. Did you know the tracer dart can stick to friendly targets? It sits there and glows. For instance, if you affix it to someone's head - say, someone with a sniper rifle crouching just behind a ridge or in some foliage - that person's head will be super easy to spot from a long way off by other players with sniper rifles. Furthermore, if you attach it to someone's face, it will shine a red glow into his line of site and maybe even obscure his vision. It's like a fantastic glowing clown nose, or the schnozz of a certain reindeer who saved Christmas. And the beauty of a friendly tracer dart is that there's no way to remove it short of dying.

So whenever I spawn, especially when attacking in Rush mode which relies largely on my team moving forward to capture objectives, I made a habit to visit those yahoos hanging back to snipe and pad their kill count instead of helping us win the round. I carefully line up the tracking pistol and fire a bright red beacon straight into their unhelpful faces.

I picked this trick up from someone else (thanks to Sniper Cop Chief of Police FlyinJ!) and I wasn't sure it was actually working until I used it repeatedly on a guy in my squad. He was hanging back while the rest of us were actually playing the game. Every time I passed him, I made sure to plant a tracer dart on his face, which was easy to do, because his face was very still and shoved against the scope of his rifle.

After I did this a few time, I got an alert that he'd sent me a message over Xbox Live. It consisted of a brief metaphor in which I was equated with a portion of the male anatomy. As I continued gifting him with tracer darts, he sent me a second message in which he used an uncouth three-letter word to imply that I had a sexual predilection for other men.

But more importantly, he started joining us as we stormed the objectives. Was it because of me? Who knows. Who cares! He stopped sniping and I stopped shooting him in the face with tracer darts. So next time you get frustrated with all the sniper's in Bad Company 2, take up your tracer dart pistol, join the force, and brace yourself for a couple of potentially abusive comments. Griefing for the greater good is a thankless job, but somebody's gotta do it.
http://fidgit.com/archives/2010/03/p..._cop_class.php
Old 03-25-10, 07:19 AM   #2
General Lee

Default Re: Battlefield: BC2 Sniper Cop

Good find!
Old 03-25-10, 08:08 AM   #3
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Snipers are very much needed. I prefer running around with a close range weapon myself, but a good sniper can be a huge asset to the team. The recon class can use C4 and Mortar-strikes which can be used to take out almost any objectives without ever having to move forward. Plus they are great for defending m-com stations once a charge has been planted.
Old 03-25-10, 08:23 AM   #4
Jon

Thats brilliant, cheers. I'll have to try that. I was furious playing rush last night. I was on a whole team of snipers and we never pushed forward an inch. I played assault and just ran down the hill to be sniped by one of the 16 snipers on the other team over and over. Every respawn I'd have to push past a line of snipers.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-10, 08:29 AM   #5
DiscipleDOC

Sniping in this game is not as bad as in other games. At least in this game, you can call down fire from heaven (in the form of mortar) once you find out where the sniper is camping....
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-10, 08:37 AM   #6
FlakMagnet

I agree, good snipers are worth having about. But it's the snipers who insist on hiding in a corner or bush while your enemy has planted C4 on your last M-COM! What do they think they can achieve doing that? They can't defuse with a sniper rifle, and as they are soooo far away from the base, when the rest of the squad dies, they get to spawn next to the sniper - miles away from where they need to be

Another example of bad sniping is where they are all snug and warm in a tree somewhere while the action has moved onto the next 2 M-COM stations and they don't even realise I tried moving such a sniper in a game I played yesterday by shooting him (FF was off), but he just didn't get it. So I and the rest of my squad ran off to join the action leaving him alone in his cosy little tree... waiting for something to happen to him.

Will definitely try the tracer dart idea - sounds funny

Was also on another server where most players were playing as sniper... all trying to find the best spot to settle down with their sandwiches and take the odd pot shot at other snipers also enjoying their lunch behind a very similar rock in the distance. I left.
2xSamsung 7200 750GB RAID 0| Akasa Eclipse 62
FlakMagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-10, 09:46 AM   #7
CaptNKILL
CUBE

You can bet this exploit will be removed in the next patch.
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-10, 10:21 AM   #8
CaptnStubing

This is just another person crying about how other people play the game. People take these games way to serious. If they are not winning they are not having fun. If you are not the most skilled player in the world you suck and should kill your self. The top stats only matter to them. I hate these players with a passion. Shut your sniveling mouth. I bought the game and until you pay for my game for me you have no place telling me or anyone how to play. If people just want to run around and blow stuff up, fine. If they want to be more organized as I like to play, fine but stop with the crying about video games. This is the problem with this industry. The people who buy the product terminally cry about the products and the other people who use the product. It is the most pathetic industry I know of.

When I get home from work, finish my dinner and start to relaxe, I want to grag some pixels for a while. I don't want some 20 year old who thinks everyone else is a child when they are not even a man yet telling me I suck or how to play the game.

I love playing these type of games but I had the vast majority of the palyers.
CaptnStubing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-10, 10:23 AM   #9
DiscipleDOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnStubing View Post
This is just another person crying about how other people play the game. People take these games way to serious. If they are not winning they are not having fun. If you are not the most skilled player in the world you suck and should kill your self. The top stats only matter to them. I hate these players with a passion. Shut your sniveling mouth. I bought the game and until you pay for my game for me you have no place telling me or anyone how to play. If people just want to run around and blow stuff up, fine. If they want to be more organized as I like to play, fine but stop with the crying about video games. This is the problem with this industry. The people who buy the product terminally cry about the products and the other people who use the product. It is the most pathetic industry I know of.

When I get home from work, finish my dinner and start to relaxe, I want to grag some pixels for a while. I don't want some 20 year old who thinks everyone else is a child when they are not even a man yet telling me I suck or how to play the game.

I love playing these type of games but I had the vast majority of the palyers.
I'm a very competitive person, but at the end of the day, games are just games. Some people need to get a life and go outside sometimes to do a reality check.
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-10, 10:36 AM   #10
CaptnStubing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscipleDOC View Post
I'm a very competitive person, but at the end of the day, games are just games. Some people need to get a life and go outside sometimes to do a reality check.
I am also but I never cared if I won in the video game. I just like to run around with my squad and do the best we can do to contribute to a win. I get into each little battle and don't worry about the bigger battle, just as long as I am there to help my squad.

I'm really getting a kick out of leveling up the medic. If you like to help the squad then you will do well with this class. People LOOOVE a medic that likes to hang back and give support to heal and rez. Fun stuff.
Old 03-25-10, 10:46 AM   #11
Kaguya

I suck so bad at Recon... I never know where to be, or how best to ply my skills. I also feel very bad about hanging out and shooting at guys from a distance when I should be 'in the thick' of things. Though I will play it sometimes to at least get some unlock progress, I definitely don't think I'll need to be 'copped'

Enemy snipers can definitely make a huge difference - especially in hardcore. I haven't played much hardcore, but out of the few I did, more than once our team has literally been held at bay by snipers. And those mortar strikes... man.
EVGA GeForce GTX 470 x2 SLI
OCZ Vertex 2 EX & Corsair P256
LG GH22NS50 22X DVD-RW SATA
Antec TruePower Quattro 1000w SLI PSU
Acer HN274H 1920x1080 3D Ready LCD
Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
Antec 900 Ultimate Gamer Case
Kaguya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-10, 11:03 AM   #12
CaptnStubing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaguya View Post
I suck so bad at Recon... I never know where to be, or how best to ply my skills. I also feel very bad about hanging out and shooting at guys from a distance when I should be 'in the thick' of things. Though I will play it sometimes to at least get some unlock progress, I definitely don't think I'll need to be 'copped'

Enemy snipers can definitely make a huge difference - especially in hardcore. I haven't played much hardcore, but out of the few I did, more than once our team has literally been held at bay by snipers. And those mortar strikes... man.
You should be hanging out away from the battle. What the article is saying is there is a proper roll for this class. He is right but I just can't stand all the crying about video games.

Here is how I play the sniper which is how I blieve the class was intended. I set back out of sight and elevated a bit. I call out the positions so the orange triangles show up on the map. I snipe as back up most the time and I call in mortar attacks to drive the enemy away from my squad. If we are arming a crate I will call in mortar a couple of seconds after my squad gets out of the building. Then I cover the crate with head shots to any who try to disarm it. I do this if my squad is working together. If it is just everyone out killing stuff then I do sit back and rack up kills sniping. I don't see anything wrong with that.