Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-25-10, 09:41 PM   #1
awdAvenger

Default mplayer-vdpau + subtitles = massive frame drop

Hi, I'm having some serious problems playing back 1080p video with vdpau when subtitles is enabled. Normaly everything works fine, but whenever I enable subtitles the cpu-usages flies up alot and I get alot of frame drops, it is very noticable, about 4-5 out of the 24 / sec frames get dropped. This is just an estimate, but the video is very laggy.

The subtitles I've tried to use is of the .srt type, and I'm using -subfont-text-scale=2 if that matters.

I've attached an nvidia-bug-report-log if that matters:
I'm not doing anything fancy except using the vdpau video driver and the vdpay ffmpeg-codec.

EDIT: I should add, I'm currently using ffmpeg-mt from git, just to see if it gave better playback results, and mplayer-svn 30886.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (36.6 KB, 61 views)
awdAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-10, 11:51 PM   #2
Dâniel Fraga

Send a message via ICQ to Dâniel Fraga Send a message via MSN to Dâniel Fraga Send a message via Yahoo to Dâniel Fraga Send a message via Skype™ to Dâniel Fraga
Default Re: mplayer-vdpau + subtitles = massive frame drop

Something related:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=134462

And here a reply to Carl Eugen which never got replied

http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/...er/078147.html
Dâniel Fraga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-10, 04:16 AM   #3
cehoyos
FFmpeg developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by awdAvenger View Post
Hi, I'm having some serious problems playing back 1080p video with vdpau when subtitles is enabled. Normaly everything works fine, but whenever I enable subtitles the cpu-usages flies up alot and I get alot of frame drops
And they only happen if you use -vc ffh264vdpau? (If the frame drops also happen without -vc ffh264vdpau, the problem should not be reported here.)
I suspect a performance issue: Please test -subfont-text-scale 12 -subfont-autoscale 0 and if it works, increase the value for subfont-text-scale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dâniel Fraga View Post
And here a reply to Carl Eugen which never got replied

http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/...er/078147.html
I missed your mail. Why didn't you ping?

Carl Eugen
cehoyos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-10, 11:02 AM   #4
awdAvenger

The main problem with trying without VDPAU is that my laptop is not fast enough to decode it in software :P This a dual core centrino 2.0ghz. However though, I did some testing and I'm having problems reproducing this at will, sometimes after trying today I cannot get the behavior I had yesterday and everything seems to be fine.

On the other side, this is not the first time performance has seemed more or less random, but it might be something else than VDPAU, I've had issues with laggy playback even without subs and cpu-usage less than 10%. I guess I just have to try and pinpoint the actual problem.
awdAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote