Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-28-10, 03:47 PM   #253
Kaguya
Registered User
 
Kaguya's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 661
Default Re: Your opinion on the GTX 470 & 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by newparad1gm View Post
Eh, I just got another one of the same Antec fans already in my case:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-011-_-Product

Blue LED light to match the other fans, and different speed settings.
Oh, hey - we have the same case. I picked up the same Tri-Cool fan because I like being able to adjust the speeds of the fans manually via the switch. I toyed with the idea of a Smartcool Antec fan, but I dunno - I think I'm smarter than a fan
__________________
Intel Core i7 960 @ 3.6Ghz
EVGA X58 3X SLI
OCZ Gold 12GB DDR3
EVGA GeForce GTX 470 x2 SLI
OCZ Vertex 2 EX & Corsair P256
LG GH22NS50 22X DVD-RW SATA
Antec TruePower Quattro 1000w SLI PSU
Acer HN274H 1920x1080 3D Ready LCD
Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
Antec 900 Ultimate Gamer Case
Kaguya is offline  
Old 03-28-10, 03:56 PM   #254
newparad1gm
Registered User
 
newparad1gm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 693
Default Re: Your opinion on the GTX 470 & 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaguya View Post
Oh, hey - we have the same case. I picked up the same Tri-Cool fan because I like being able to adjust the speeds of the fans manually via the switch. I toyed with the idea of a Smartcool Antec fan, but I dunno - I think I'm smarter than a fan
I just set all my fans on max speed and call it a day, my machine sounds like a vacuum but I use noise cancelling headphones or turn my volume up anyways. Plus I live in the city, so the fan noise actually drowns out all the traffic and crowd noise outside my window.
__________________
WAR MACHINE:
Intel Core i7 3930K | Asus X79 Sabertooth | 4x4 GB G.Skill RipJaw PC3-12800 | 2x EVGA NVIDIA GTX TITAN Signature 6GB SLI | OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD | 2x500 GB Seagate Barracuda RAID 0 | LG BD-ROM | Cyber Acoustics CA3001WB 2.1 Speakers | SeaSonic 1250W PSU | 3x Acer GD235HZ 23.6in 120Hz | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Windows 8 Pro x64 | NVIDIA 3DVision SURROUND

CRIMSON DYNAMO:
Intel Core i7 2600K | Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H | 2x4 GB G.Skill Ripjaw PC3-12800 | XFX AMD R9 290X 4GB | Intel X-25M G2 160GB SSD | 2x250GB RAID 0 | Samsung BD-ROM | ABS SL 1050W PSU | Toshiba 42" REGZA 1080p HDTV | Antec 900 ATX | Windows 8 Pro x64

Sailor Jupiter (HTPC):
Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5200 | ZOTAC Geforce 9300 | 2x2 GB OCZ Fatal1ty PC2-8500 | WD 1TB | Hitachi 2TB External | MediaSonic HFR2-SU3S2 4x3TB Seagate Barracuda RAID 1+0 | LG Blu-Ray/HD DVD-ROM | FSP 150W PSU | Toshiba 42" REGZA 1080p HDTV | Foxconn RS233 mini-ITX | Windows 7 Pro x86
newparad1gm is offline  
Old 03-28-10, 04:23 PM   #255
wysiwyg
Registered User
 
wysiwyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: London, England
Posts: 2,991
Default Re: Your opinion on the GTX 470 & 480

wish i could afford 2 480's
wysiwyg is offline  
Old 03-28-10, 04:24 PM   #256
KasuCode
Wiley
 
KasuCode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 1,878
Send a message via AIM to KasuCode
Default Re: Your opinion on the GTX 470 & 480

Instead of "upgrading" my 5870 to a 480 ...

I upgraded my Iphone to a Nexus one!
__________________

Check Out
~CrossWater~
KasuCode is offline  
Old 03-28-10, 04:33 PM   #257
enoteware
Just Basically Awesome
 
enoteware's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 100
Default Re: Your opinion on the GTX 470 & 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL View Post
In the games I'd like an improvement in the 480 is 2-3 times the speed of my GTX 260, but the heat and power consumption is definitely a big drawback.

If it was $450, it'd be easier to swallow... but with the 5870 being $100-$150 cheaper and being FAR more efficient, its tough to make a decision.

The overclocked performance of the 480 seems to be pretty awesome (firingsquad saw roughly 15-20% performance increase) but that means even MORE heat and power consumption.

I'm just not sure yet.

I'd really like a new card, but honestly, $500 is quite a bit of money and it STILL can't play every game with a reasonable frame rate at 1920x1200 with max settings and no AA.
I'm in the same boat as you. I have a gift card for newegg so I might just pull the trigger. However, what's holding me back is the news that ATI will offer 3D vision (or something similar) that works with the 120hz monitors. I've tried 3d vision and it's awesome
__________________
My Comp:Alienware Aurora:Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.2, 6gb 1333mhz ram, gtx 470 EVGA, win 7 home 64 bit, ASUS Xonar STX (love it), Allen and Heath Xone:XD-53 Headphones

TV/Media Center - Panasonic TCP-54G25 Plasma, Pioneer 1021-K Receiver. Klipsch speakers that are too loud for my place. Xbox 360 - PS3 - Apple TV

Facebook
enoteware is offline  
Old 03-28-10, 05:23 PM   #258
Kaguya
Registered User
 
Kaguya's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 661
Default Re: Your opinion on the GTX 470 & 480

Man, I'm so flip-floppy. I cancelled my pre-order The only game I really want the cards for right now is Metro 2033, and otherwise I think I can make it through the summer (if I don't visit this forum too much ) and decide to either get a couple 470s after you all here have had them for a while, or to see how long until a 28nm refresh comes along.

Stay tuned for me to flip again and replace my order!
__________________
Intel Core i7 960 @ 3.6Ghz
EVGA X58 3X SLI
OCZ Gold 12GB DDR3
EVGA GeForce GTX 470 x2 SLI
OCZ Vertex 2 EX & Corsair P256
LG GH22NS50 22X DVD-RW SATA
Antec TruePower Quattro 1000w SLI PSU
Acer HN274H 1920x1080 3D Ready LCD
Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
Antec 900 Ultimate Gamer Case
Kaguya is offline  
Old 03-28-10, 05:25 PM   #259
Slytat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 354
Default Re: Your opinion on the GTX 470 & 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaguya View Post
Man, I'm so flip-floppy. I cancelled my pre-order The only game I really want the cards for right now is Metro 2033, and otherwise I think I can make it through the summer (if I don't visit this forum too much ) and decide to either get a couple 470s after you all here have had them for a while, or to see how long until a 28nm refresh comes along.

Stay tuned for me to flip again and replace my order!
Don't feel bad mate, one time I cancelled and reordered 12 times in as many hours because I couldn't make my mind up (not with 480s) so I know how that feels
Slytat is offline  
Old 03-28-10, 05:42 PM   #260
lee63
Classified
 
lee63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Murrieta, U.S./Taunton, U.K.
Posts: 4,263
Default Re: Your opinion on the GTX 470 & 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaguya View Post
Man, I'm so flip-floppy. I cancelled my pre-order The only game I really want the cards for right now is Metro 2033, and otherwise I think I can make it through the summer (if I don't visit this forum too much ) and decide to either get a couple 470s after you all here have had them for a while, or to see how long until a 28nm refresh comes along.

Stay tuned for me to flip again and replace my order!
I don't know what to do either...as least we have a couple weeks to figure it out
__________________
lee63 is offline  

Old 03-28-10, 05:45 PM   #261
Slytat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 354
Default Re: Your opinion on the GTX 470 & 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee63 View Post
I don't know what to do either...as least we have a couple weeks to figure it out
Part of me REALLY wants to order 2 but I'm still dubious because of the temps.

At the very least I'm going to wait and see what other people's experiences are before I do anything as far as the 480 is concerned.

Like others here, I like to have the latest and greatest but I am going to continue to try and 'balance' myself on the fence for a few more weeks
Slytat is offline  
Old 03-28-10, 05:52 PM   #262
Revs
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 6,365
Default Re: Your opinion on the GTX 470 & 480

I'm waiting to see what the B/28nm revision brings. It's not the heat that's the issue for me as I'd be watercooling them anyway, it's the power consumption and price. I'd have to get a new PSU to run two plus the 260 for PhysX, and the 480 is 428. It's just too expensive for the gain it would bring over the 5850's I've ordered. 440 for the pair vs one 480. No contest.
Revs is offline  
Old 03-28-10, 05:52 PM   #263
Kaguya
Registered User
 
Kaguya's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 661
Default Re: Your opinion on the GTX 470 & 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytat View Post
Part of me REALLY wants to order 2 but I'm still dubious because of the temps.

At the very least I'm going to wait and see what other people's experiences are before I do anything as far as the 480 is concerned.

Like other's here, I like to have the latest and greatest but I am going to continue to try and 'balance' myself on the fence for a few more weeks
What I'd really like to know is whether the fan is running at 100% in the videos, and if it really needs to run at 100%.

My 260s are overclocked somewhat, and I have my fans locked at 50%. The temps never go above their rating, and usually hover in the mid 50s. I have a profile setting with keyboard shortcuts to push the fans up to 75% on hot summer days. I picked 75% because it was about the best cooling I could get without the jet engine of my 260 fan lifting off into orbit.

If the 470's 100% fan speed is the same as the 260 at 100%, and I can have the fan locked at, say, 55-60% and have it not blow up, then I'd be on board. Granted I'm aware that for most games the fan will probably not be very loud at all... (here I go starting to flip again ). I'll wait at least until some people here have them in hand and can tell us all the details, and if I then decide to go for it, I'll get express shipping
__________________
Intel Core i7 960 @ 3.6Ghz
EVGA X58 3X SLI
OCZ Gold 12GB DDR3
EVGA GeForce GTX 470 x2 SLI
OCZ Vertex 2 EX & Corsair P256
LG GH22NS50 22X DVD-RW SATA
Antec TruePower Quattro 1000w SLI PSU
Acer HN274H 1920x1080 3D Ready LCD
Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
Antec 900 Ultimate Gamer Case
Kaguya is offline  
Old 03-28-10, 06:03 PM   #264
Bah!
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 868
Default Re: Your opinion on the GTX 470 & 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaguya View Post
What I'd really like to know is whether the fan is running at 100% in the videos, and if it really needs to run at 100%.

My 260s are overclocked somewhat, and I have my fans locked at 50%. The temps never go above their rating, and usually hover in the mid 50s. I have a profile setting with keyboard shortcuts to push the fans up to 75% on hot summer days. I picked 75% because it was about the best cooling I could get without the jet engine of my 260 fan lifting off into orbit.

If the 470's 100% fan speed is the same as the 260 at 100%, and I can have the fan locked at, say, 55-60% and have it not blow up, then I'd be on board. Granted I'm aware that for most games the fan will probably not be very loud at all... (here I go starting to flip again ). I'll wait at least until some people here have them in hand and can tell us all the details, and if I then decide to go for it, I'll get express shipping

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that locking your 470 or 480 at 50% fan speed will burn it to a crisp. There are benchmarks out there that show the cards hitting 90c during gameplay, and if the fan is spinning fult tilt at that temp (which it should be), imagine what the temp would be at half that speed. Hell, I can't even keep my 295 locked at that fan speed and it runs cooler than these cards.

I know one thing, if I were to buy one of these cards, I wouldn't take my chances with any brand other than Evga or possibly BFG, because of the warranty and ease of return.
Bah! is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.