Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-09-10, 01:05 AM   #457
XMAN52373
Registered User
 
XMAN52373's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 534
Default Re: Your opinion on the GTX 470 & 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Prime View Post
... Are you arguing for them or against them there? PS: Intel owns havoc and has for years, any lack of progress there can be sent that way. Not that it has anything to do with what we were talking about...
Intel may own it, but ATI are the ones who promised everyone under the sun they'd bring use GPU based physics using Havok, not Intel.
__________________
C2Q6600@3.3
ASUS GTX570
eVGA 780i SLi AR
8GB DDR2 PC8500
Windows 7 U x64
XMAN52373 is offline  
Old 04-09-10, 01:08 AM   #458
XMAN52373
Registered User
 
XMAN52373's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 534
Default Re: Your opinion on the GTX 470 & 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow001 View Post
Me,severely negative?.....You got to be kidding me right?


I'm just seeing the reviews online and the conclusions that reviewers are reaching in that overall,while it is generally faster than the HD5870 card,it isn't by a huge margin and comes with power and heat issues to consider,and a fairly large price difference at retail for that relatively small performance advantage over the HD5870....That's the overall conclusion from most sites reviewing the cards.


It's basically not the best product launch in history,but not it's worst one either,however,people are somewhat dissapointed given the amount of time that has passed since ATI's cards have been released,and expected better than this.
Yes, my one of short memory. Every single bad article you could find, you posted a link to here and then would comment on how much better ATI is.
__________________
C2Q6600@3.3
ASUS GTX570
eVGA 780i SLi AR
8GB DDR2 PC8500
Windows 7 U x64
XMAN52373 is offline  
Old 04-09-10, 01:16 AM   #459
Xion X2
Registered User
 
Xion X2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: U.S.
Posts: 6,701
Default Re: Your opinion on the GTX 470 & 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMAN52373 View Post
The fact the bug affects both companies equally. While ATI doesn't suffer the AAA one, both suffer 4xMSAA. I see that as equally, you dont. A play on words.
What do you define "equally" as? If one card is negatively impacted by a setting (AAA) and the other isn't, that is not "equally." Yes, they share similarities in other areas, but that does not equate to "equally."

There is no play on words there.
__________________

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline  
Old 04-09-10, 01:23 AM   #460
XMAN52373
Registered User
 
XMAN52373's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 534
Default Re: Your opinion on the GTX 470 & 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2 View Post
What do you define "equally" as? If one card is negatively impacted by a setting (AAA) and the other isn't, that is not "equally." Yes, they share similarities in other areas, but that does not equate to "equally."

There is no play on words there.
So you dont see the fact that both cards suffer the same problem under 4xMSAA as the same even tho Nvidia also suffers it under AAA? Ok, whatever.
__________________
C2Q6600@3.3
ASUS GTX570
eVGA 780i SLi AR
8GB DDR2 PC8500
Windows 7 U x64
XMAN52373 is offline  
Old 04-09-10, 01:26 AM   #461
Ninja Prime
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Utah
Posts: 2,263
Default Re: Your opinion on the GTX 470 & 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMAN52373 View Post
Intel may own it, but ATI are the ones who promised everyone under the sun they'd bring use GPU based physics using Havok, not Intel.
Those "promises" were before Intel bought it. I'd imagine Intel canned it at that point because they want physics running on their CPUs not on their competitors GPUs, something they don't have.
Ninja Prime is offline  
Old 04-09-10, 01:27 AM   #462
CaptNKILL
CUBE
 
CaptNKILL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: PA, USA
Posts: 18,844
Default Re: Your opinion on the GTX 470 & 480

Is this really the most important thing you guys have to do right now?
__________________
---- Primary Rig ---- CoolerMaster 690 II Advance - Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 4.0Ghz + Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme
6GB DDR2 @ 942Mhz 5-5-5-20 1.9v (2x1Gb Wintec AMPX PC2-8500 & 2x2Gb G.Skill PC2-6400) - EVGA Geforce GTX 470 @ 750/1500/1850 (1.050v)
Sparkle Geforce GTS 250 1Gb Low-Profile (Physx) - Crucial RealSSD C300 64Gb SSD - Seagate 7200.12 500Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline  
Old 04-09-10, 01:28 AM   #463
Xion X2
Registered User
 
Xion X2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: U.S.
Posts: 6,701
Default Re: Your opinion on the GTX 470 & 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMAN52373 View Post
So you dont see the fact that both cards suffer the same problem under 4xMSAA as the same even tho Nvidia also suffers it under AAA? Ok, whatever.


"Whatever," indeed.


They both appear to be identical in IQ at 4xMSAA - correct. That is "equal."

They do not appear to be identical in IQ with AAA enabled as stated in the article. That is not equal.

When you combine the two, that is not "equally" affected as you originally stated.
__________________

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline  
Old 04-09-10, 01:29 AM   #464
Xion X2
Registered User
 
Xion X2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: U.S.
Posts: 6,701
Default Re: Your opinion on the GTX 470 & 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL View Post
Is this really the most important thing you guys have to do right now?
LOL. I just don't want to go to bed yet as it means next time I'm awake I'll be at work.
__________________

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline  

Old 04-09-10, 01:30 AM   #465
Ninja Prime
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Utah
Posts: 2,263
Default Re: Your opinion on the GTX 470 & 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL View Post
Is this really the most important thing you guys have to do right now?
Unfortunetely yes.

I was playing CoD:MW2 for a couple hours, but I've been burned out on it so I'm wandering the forums.
Ninja Prime is offline  
Old 04-09-10, 01:34 AM   #466
shadow001
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,526
Default Re: Your opinion on the GTX 470 & 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMAN52373 View Post
Yes, my one of short memory. Every single bad article you could find, you posted a link to here and then would comment on how much better ATI is.

I agree with posting the article part,and as for the type of news within those articles,the information contained within it is not my fault,it's what it is rumors and otherwise,and turned out to be pretty accurate,and it wasn't just charlie from semi accurate,but also guru 3D,hard OCP,anandtech and VR-zone too.


Do you kill the mailman after he just delivered your credit card bill at home for you to pay?....No right?,same thing here..


As for my own personal opinions on the matter,they're based on previous examples fromm both ATI and Nvidia when products from either company were really late to the market...They both didn't perform to expectations to say the least,despite marketing efforts from the companies that designed them.


So if there's anything to learn from this is that when a product is really late,it's because it's not performing to expectations,plain and simple and no other theories apply....Hopefully people will remember that if the same situation repeats itself in the future,regardless of the company in question.
shadow001 is offline  
Old 04-09-10, 01:41 AM   #467
jolle
Registered User
 
jolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,804
Default Re: Your opinion on the GTX 470 & 480

Intel did can havokFX which I imagine had to have been either wrapped on D3d or something, or separate codepaths with CUDA and CAL/CTM.

The more recent OpenCL based stuff, gotta wonder how Intel is going to treat that after pulling Larrabee plans from the consumer market.
Sure, OpenCL implementations can run on CPU aswell, but current havok versions will run on CPU only which is way better for them.
__________________
Q6700, Abit X38 QuadGT, 8Gb (4x 2GB) OCZ Reaper DDR2 1066MHz, Gainward GTX 285 1Gb, X-Fi XtremeMusic
jolle is offline  
Old 04-09-10, 01:56 AM   #468
XMAN52373
Registered User
 
XMAN52373's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 534
Default Re: Your opinion on the GTX 470 & 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow001 View Post
I agree with posting the article part,and as for the type of news within those articles,the information contained within it is not my fault,it's what it is rumors and otherwise,and turned out to be pretty accurate,and it wasn't just charlie from semi accurate,but also guru 3D,hard OCP,anandtech and VR-zone too.


Do you kill the mailman after he just delivered your credit card bill at home for you to pay?....No right?,same thing here..


As for my own personal opinions on the matter,they're based on previous examples fromm both ATI and Nvidia when products from either company were really late to the market...They both didn't perform to expectations to say the least,despite marketing efforts from the companies that designed them.


So if there's anything to learn from this is that when a product is really late,it's because it's not performing to expectations,plain and simple and no other theories apply....Hopefully people will remember that if the same situation repeats itself in the future,regardless of the company in question.
It wasn't just the article posting, but the fact you took glee from news within the article.
__________________
C2Q6600@3.3
ASUS GTX570
eVGA 780i SLi AR
8GB DDR2 PC8500
Windows 7 U x64
XMAN52373 is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.