Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-26-10, 07:53 PM   #1
Lyme

Default 360: Goodbye propriatary cards, hello usb thumbdrive

http://majornelson.com/archive/2010/...April-6th.aspx

Quote:
On April 6th, we will be releasing a system update over Xbox LIVE for your Xbox 360 that will allow USB flash drives to be used for storing profiles, game saves, demos and more. Iíve been testing this feature out for a few weeks, and I have to say itís really great. Once you take the system update on April 6th, youíll be able to connect your USB flash drives to your console and head over to the memory section to configure your new storage device. Once you do that, the system will conduct a one time performance and integrity check to confirm the drive is working properly. You will then be able to configure how much storage to use on the device, up to 16 GB. The remaining space on the flash drive will be accessible by your PC or Mac. USB Hard drives may work, but like flash memory, youíll only be able to use up to 16GB of space. Since performance on flash based USB storage is usually better, I highly recommend using flash based instead of spinning media like a hard driveÖitís just going to give you a MUCH better experience.

Weíve also enhanced the memory management functions, so youíll be able to have better control on what you want to copy or move between storage devices.

A couple of points:

* You can have 2 devices connected to the console at a time, enabling up to 32GB of simultaneous storage.
* The system wonít just configure the device once it is connected to the console. Youíll need to head to the memory area in system settings, select your USB Device, and choose from Configure Now (Format and Configure the Full Device), or Customize (you can choose how much memory you want configured for Xbox360 from the free space on the device.)

While any flash drive can be used, we are partnering with SanDisk to release an Xbox 360 branded USB flash drive in May that comes pre-configured out of the box and ready to go. Iíll provide links to those drives once theyíre available. Until then, starting April 6th (when we release the system update) you can pop any flash drive over 1GB into your Xbox 360 and configure it as storage.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-10, 08:01 PM   #2
|MaguS|

Default Re: 360: Goodbye propriatary cards, hello usb thumbdrive

Read this earlier, any word on if you can install games on it?
Old 03-26-10, 08:14 PM   #3
Lyme

I can't find the referencing link right now, the answer was 'yes' but you have to have the disc in to play as per usual.
Old 03-27-10, 12:45 AM   #4
ViN86

This is great news
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-10, 03:30 PM   #5
Lyme

The rumor is that this is part of the buildup to the 360 "slim", which will not include proprietary memory cards at all.
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/18/be...-unit-support/

Given that MS dropped the arcade 360 to $129 for a week in march http://www.accesswinnipeg.com/2010/0...most-everwhere I expect that a clearing of stock is going on.
Old 04-04-10, 11:15 PM   #6
Tuork
Official pain in the ass

Send a message via MSN to Tuork

Looking forward to this...

Any verifiable news on the "slim" X360?
I might be able to sell my current 360 to a friend and hop on a Slim version once I head over to Canadia in June

Dimitri:
Dell XPS M1530
Core2Duo T5550 1.86Ghz | 3GB DDR2 | 8600M GT 256MB | 250GB Hdd | BenQ FP202W 20" LCD | MX1000 mouse | Inspire T5400 5.1
Tuork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-10, 11:39 PM   #7
|MaguS|

Would you really trust a slim model? The larger units barely have the proper cooling... I doubt a slimmer model would.
Old 04-04-10, 11:47 PM   #8
Ninja Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Would you really trust a slim model? The larger units barely have the proper cooling... I doubt a slimmer model would.
Unlike sony, MS doesn't cut features after promising them to people.
Ninja Prime is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-10, 12:41 AM   #9
Lyme

Quote:
Yes, because MS generally needs a few tries to get it right, but when they do it's pretty good.
Old 04-05-10, 08:08 AM   #10
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyme View Post
Yes, because MS generally needs a few tries to get it right, but when they do it's pretty good.
Well then they need a few more tries with the standard model first...
Old 04-05-10, 08:34 AM   #11
Tuork
Official pain in the ass

Send a message via MSN to Tuork

Quote:
This did in fact cross my mind, but after playing ModernWarfare 2 yesterday for several hours, my 360's exhaust was barely warm at all.

I don't think MS is as stupid as to go through this whole RRoD shennanigan for a second time.

... I hope.

Dimitri:
Dell XPS M1530
Core2Duo T5550 1.86Ghz | 3GB DDR2 | 8600M GT 256MB | 250GB Hdd | BenQ FP202W 20" LCD | MX1000 mouse | Inspire T5400 5.1
Tuork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-10, 09:14 AM   #12
LurkerLito

My Spring after launch 360 is still running fine. Though the thing is so f**kin loud even with the game installed on the HD that I hate playing anything on it. I am tempted every now and then to buy an arcade 360 just to get rid of the noise but always pass because it really just isn't worth it. Though I do find it amusing to know that the official 250GB HD is the same price as a Arcade 360 on sale.

Main PC: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe ; Intel i7-3770k ; GSkill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 (2x8GB) ; Seasonic X Series X-1050 PSU ; Corsair H100 ; EVGA GTX-670 ; Mushkin 240GB SSD system drive
Old PC: ABIT IP35 Pro ; Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ; Patriot 6GB (3x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM ; EVGA GTX480 SC ; Antec P190 Case ; EnzoTech Ultra120 CPU Cooler
LurkerLito is offline   Reply With Quote