Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-04-10, 07:36 PM   #325
Muppet

Default Re: NVIDIA GeForce 470 GTX and GeForce 480 GTX Reviews

Ok Since the best written post was basically taken down by an old reviewer/columnist who is a programmer on overclockers.net NoahDiamond"it was by far the best post I had seen anywhere on if you should upgrade or not, what the card offered, to noise, you name it he hit it all...including saying it's a good card and worth the 500 dollar price tag. He uses an ATI 5970 and recently got sent an EVGA 480 GTX, was probably the best read on the net to get informed.
His post is here but he changed his post over 9hrs ago there was so much more information not sure why he changed it.

I am Going to hit Key points, Issues that have been blown up to false statements, and anything else I can think of. Hopefully this will give you the information you seek calm down some of your worries that you do not need to worry about. Enjoy my wall of txt.

1. Upgrading to a 480 GTX Why? Why not?
Should you upgrade? Yes? No? Why?
That depends on the cards you have now.
First Gen Nvidia 200 series&below and ATI 4xxx&below as well as low end gpus of the latest flavors offered by ATI and Nvidia. Yes it's a great upgrade for those who have been waiting it out it's a great card, you have been waiting long enough for dx11 and all the eye candy and waiting we all know what that means less time to enjoy your cards longer over being an early adopter.

How about if you have ATI 1-2x 5870's, or a 5970, Nvidia 1-2 285's or a 295?
1-2x 5870's? 1 maybe but with an overclock your going to get just about the same if not a little more fps than the 480 GTX at a lower price. Now if you have 2 in crossfire no not really.... wait for the revisions and enjoy what you paid for longer but a plus of upgrading no micro-stuttering in some games.
1x 5970? No not really Your going to get better FPS in a majority of games and I mean a majority there might be only 2-5 where a 480 GTX will beat it or exchange blows back and forth. You already spent 600+ on your 5970 should just wait for the better revised 400 series this fall enjoy what you paid for longer.
1-2x 285 GTX's? One yes upgrade if you really want dx11 and all the eye candy that comes with it, as well as a gpu that is on par to a little faster than two 285's. 2x 285's that will be up to you. You may lose a few fps or gain a few fps but you gain the advantages of only have one DX11 gpu and no micro-stuttering with a single card and less of a power draw.
1x 295/2x 275's This is where once again you will get a small gain in fps or lose a couple fps, you get dx11 and its eye candy. Plus you will lose the micro stuttering.

It also depends on the game as well where a 480 GTX can destroy Nvidia top current line "that is about to hit EOL soon some cards already have" as well as some of ATI's line. ATI's higher end models but 1vs1 5970 I would not say it destroys it's more of that guy with little man syndrome "the 480 GTX" trading licks sometimes winning but a lot of times losing. Now for TRI SLI it destroys everything but the price tag of 1500 for air cooler cards is a lot, not to mention if you want to go water cooling expect to spend more. Air cooling TRI SLI is requires more money as well expect to spend at least 100 dollars plus on high cfm 120mm fans for the average case.

I'm a Folder why should I upgrade?
If you look at some reviews and I am sure you have you will see you will improve how fast you can fold with the 480 GTX more WU's. But bear in mind most of you will have multiple gpus folding you have to be ready to have a case, fans, psu to handle the loads for long periods of time.

I use my gpus for work and play should I upgrade?
Yes you should you're going to get CUDA for those of you who do video editing programming" Nvidia just made your life's easier to program in Cuda" You get real time ray tracing that some 3d apps will use, plus the extra video ram helps out big time if your into 3d modeling and animation. This is why I will always pick Nvidia over ATI until ATI gives me the support/features of Fermi based gaming card and Nvidia cards in general for my 3d modeling/animation and video compiling. With an ATI card I am pretty crippled and cannot get work done and done as fast sadly so that leaves me with 3 cards to pick from Quadro/Geforce/ and ATI's FireGL with some features missing out of Nvidia cards at this point and time.

The extreme gamer who wants it all that's going SLI or tri SLI should you upgrade to 2-3x 480 GTX's?
Yes if you're willing to do anything for the best gaming experience possible want that 3d on your screen or three screens, mass tessellation, blowing your games away go ahead and upgrade if money is not stopping you.

Also if you play at 1920x1200 and higher you may want to consider upgrading just for the extra video ram you will need, on a side note if you're playing at that res and have to have everything cranked up a single 480 GTX will do alright but if you want the best fps possible get two for SLI the scaling is amazing. If you have to have SLI/Tri SLI, the whole thing to get the best gaming experience possible I mean you're using all the features of this card and money is no object yes get it. You will be extremely happy with what you have for a couple years.

If your an overclocker getting one to tinker with would be a nice idea do you have to have it? No but it is something new and a challenge to keep you busy until fall.

Does the 400 series have a bang for your buck card? Yes that would be the 470 GTX priced at 349.99 at stock, at stock has less performance as a 5870 at stock, but if you overclock it will trade blows back and forth with the 5870 this card is really the bang for your buck gpu on the market right now that is cheap. It performs, has oc potential and gives you the most performance for your money as of right now. But not all gpus are ocable getting a vanilla card is a gamble you may bet one that does not overclock to save its life, or you might get one that will rock your socks off or something in between.

Best advice I can give think about it before you upgrade, what your upgrading from should be your main concern, your expectations in what you want/need.

Remember ATI cards do run cooler/less power cost less can easily oc them on air but you get less features/eye candy with these cards. Depends on the GPU flavor you need to meet your gaming needs and budget on what you should get.

2. Next up HEAT zomg its going to burn up into a crispy critter, cause my computer to catch on fire is this gpu going to burst into flame and die?
This one has had me cracking up the answer is no all the reviewers had the fan on auto because those of us who worry about our temps and know the cooler our hardware stays the longer it last are a small small few compared to the bigger grand scheme of people buying the card. The 480 GTX's fan if you set it to 60% you're looking at a 15-20c temp drop from the 90c with less noise possible, at 70% fan speed you're looking at pretty much a solid 20c drop. Anything higher than that I am guessing 55-68c depending on the game because the heat and power draw of these gpus is not much different than the 280 GTX FTW. Don't worry Nvidia should be fixing this and its possibly why the hard launch got made into the paper launch. But yeah auto fan = bad it won't burn up your card but it will get hot and not rev up soon enough to keep the card at 65-70c at load, Manual fan=good keep your max load temps at around 65-70c.Unless your stove is broke and you want to grill a hot dog!? LOL sorry had to throw that in there. But yeah heat is being way over played it's not as bad as you think it's like 280 GTX bad and here we are almost two years later my 280's GTX FTW's stay cool on air they have not melted/killed any other hardware.

Just did my own test we already know an EVGA 280 GTX SSC is about 240-244 TDP. So that puts the 280 GTX FTW at about 250 TDP.
Playing metro tonight for the first time"great game by the way" with high air flow fans in my case the single 280 GTX FTW from 70%-100% fan speed temps climbed up to 70-72c. Setting my 280 GTX's fan to Auto I got greeted by the 86-92c temps in my current case same as fermi atm and it feels like the 8800 Ultra playing crysis in terms of temps. But the temps if you had a 280 GTX when they launched get ready to deal with pretty much the same kind of heat...Those on air are going to at least want a bottom case fan, 1 on the side, one-two in the front of your cases I am guessing as a min. I will be reconstructing my ghetto gpu cooler soon enough to run some test with the 280 GTX FTW and in about 8-10 days once I get a 480 GTX in hand. But those being early adopters if your not going water cooling I highly suggest you be ready to make adjustments in your cases to handle the heat these cards generate.

3. The big bad power bill issue.
If your already running 2-3 single gpu cards it's not going to be much different than running 1 480 GTX 2x older series 280 GTX SSC/FTW/HC's will use more power than a single 480 GTX. Those of you already in SLI/Tri SLI configs with 200 series will be using less power over a single 480 GTX. To sum it up it's not bad it's like having a 280 GTX with twice the power and some.
Yes ATI's cards have less heat less power. If you're worried about that a gpu that will hurt you financially because of some cash out of your pocket each month on the power bill the last thing you should be spending your money on is a graphics card.
the 480 GTX is rated at 250 TDP the 280 GTX SSC is rated at 244 TDP the 280 GTX FTW has a TDP of around 250 like the 480 GTX.
To get an idea how much you pay a year to run your gpu clicky Here

4. Oh the NOISE I heard it's so bad its unbearable what about that video on H did you hear that?!?!?!?
No it is not as loud as people are making it out to be H has no idea how to correctly measure sound "nice pos mic H before you review something that you have no clue how to measure learn how to do it right first oh and upgrade your crappy mic on your camera" this was pointed out by Guru3d,HardwareCanucks and others. Most of you will not have your ear about 2-6 inches away from your gpus on an open bench setup. Those with closed cases can expect to not hear much of anything you will still hear it but it's really nothing....

5. Did it live up to the hype, is it the biggest fail from Nvidia as so many are claiming, is it a bad card that I should avoid at all cost?
No it didn't live up to the hype, but it's still a good card it's just that a really good card with a lot of feature., Biggest fail from Nvidia? far from it they still gave us the fastest single gpu in the world. Is it a bad card? no not at all if you already own an early 200 series flavor or lower even the ATI 4xxx series or something older it would be an ideal card to get for everything it has to offer. When Nvidia gets to the die shrink and all 512 cores Fermi will be a lot more attractive at that point. My biggest disappointment its six months late!!!! I've not played any of my DX11 games iv purchased because its late! I've been on the teeter totter for the past three months on should I say forget it and get an ATI card or should I hang on! Well again I am a 3d guy I need me the Geforce cards or I am not making any 3d models or a new demo reel anytime soon.

7. PRICE but it's so expensive!!!!!
No its not
Depends how you're looking at it, you're getting what your paying for the fastest gpu out of the box that is for work and play, that can offer you the best gaming experience you ever had if you're going all out with the 3d glasses, everything cranked up. At first I thought it was a good 40-70 dollars overpriced but the more I think about what I am getting, what I am upgrading from. It's far from that.

Going over the information I have gone though since the 26th of this month and the info I was lucky enough to get before the press release NDA was up and what information I have found the past couple of days. What I will be using this card its worth every penny. I know ATI's 5870 is 70-100 dollars cheaper but I am a 3d guy like I already said for what ATI cards do over the 480 GTX Fermi the 70-100 dollars less is not worth it for me at all even when overclocked because I use the gpu for more than gaming, Yeah I could softmod a 5870 to a FireGL but then I lose half the video ram and my games would play like total poo. Also if you're the gamer that has to have everything once again 3D glasses, settings all cranked up, 1-3 high res monitors it's well worth every penny of the 500 dollar price tag.

Yes it is
You already own ATI cards like the 5970 have an Nvidia card for Physx or have 2x 5870s and a Nvidia card for Physx and cannot justify dumping 500-1500 on Nvidia newest gnus since you already spent so much waiting for Fermi So I can totally understand where your coming from. For you guys yes it's too much you already dumped a ton of money into gpus. Those with 285's in SLI yes and no it depends 295 same thing where ATI users are getting dx11 games with their own cards features and your sitting in win7 with no dx11 and your there of what should I do sell now while I can still get good money for my cards, should I wait. That's really on you and is a big reason I never touched the 285/295 you guys have not had your cards for that long.... In this case with the ATI card just being a gamer and someone who overclocks, I would not even think about upgrading right now and would wait for the rev Fermi's this fall.

I knew Fermi was coming for about 2 years now. I just didn't think it would be this late....

8. X reviewer is saying this X reviewer is saying something else and this reviewer is saying. What to believe?
This has to be one of the biggest reasons I hate most reviewers, that are bias towards ATI or Nvidia. The only ones that lose are we the consumers. This has to be one of the hardest things for us to really find out what's real what's not, whose getting paid by what gpu company to make their gpu look better and make the competitors look bad. What ones are bias to make their favorite gpu brand look good and the one they dislike look bad.
Great Example for a bias review are from H they will do just about anything to make thier favorite gpus look good, This is seen in thier 480 GTX review, first there is the cheap mic on thier cheap camera and them not testing sound correctly to make the 480 GTX sound louder than it actually is, then there is them using hardware that does not do the 400 series any justice resulting in thier lower benching numbers of the 400 series to once again make thier favorite gpu brand look the best and give nvidia the thumbs down they are so well known for. The only thing they have managed to do is show you what hardware not to run with the beta drivers, and show thier bias opinions on how far they will go to mislead the consumer.

The only thing you can do is go to a review site and read all their hardware reviews concerning AMD/Intel ATI/Nvidia their charts/graphs, what they say about a product is about the only way. The ones that give you the really good, the good, the bad, the really bad and the ugly on both end of a rival product are the ones that are normally not bias. Also paying attention what trolls post too when something launches they turn things into a feeding frenzy of negatives, exaggerate, and will do anything with their reviews with like minds to support their trolling. Got to love how this works....

9. Drivers huh they are not mature yet?
No they are not we will see better drivers later, like any flag ship product some kinks need to be ironed out, expect to see better performance across the board in 3d, Cuda, Tessellation, gaming, With newer drivers on the way rumor has it the 2XX.XX that are rumored to be in the works right now by Nvidia will be improving performance and capabilities of the Fermi all the way around.

10. Do I have to upgrade all my hardware?
Do you have to? No you don't, would I suggest it to get the most out of your new gpus? Yes of course otherwise your paying for extra performance on the gpu that you're not going to get because of the limitations of your hardware. If you're using tech like the core 2 duo, core 2 quad? Depends if you're playing older games no not really, but you still will be gimping your gpus, it will be more noticeable in SLI/TRI SLI when you look at the reviews what the gpu should be getting with a core i7 fps wise over what you're getting it will be lower with one gpu SLI/Tri SLI it will be considerably lower. This was the same case with the 200 series when we moved to the i7 we all saw a nice boost in performance because our gpus where no longer gimped by our slower cpus and older hardware. We showed a lot of you on the older forums what happened with SLI with the 200 series cards once we reached 3.6-4ghz, we also showed you what happened with the I7 with the 200 series cards.
A good case, high cfm fans, power supply is a must do not skimp out on these items please, each series of gpus we see this one. People cooking cards ranting on forums that its EVGA's and or Nvidia fault not listening to reason on what their issue is, when they finally do listen after about 4-6 rmas they are like wow thanks and then we don't hear from them in a long long time due to happy gaming and or being embarrassed. When upgrading to the latest and greatest its best to be ready for it to get the most out of your hardware and take the steps to make it last to save in the long run to avoid unneeded rmas and headaches. Oh an maintence of the gpus you can find my driver guide in my sig a lot of useful information there.

11. Does Nvidia offer the a bang for your buck card? if so what is it?
Yes they do its the 470 GTX priced at 349.99 for the stock card. Now you take one of these gpus and if you get lucky and over clock a vanilla and it happens to co decently you're looking at a gpu with more video ram that trades blows with the 5870 out of the box, A lot of people on xtremesystems are getting these just to toy with. gives you all the features of the 480 GTX it's not as fast has less video ram. But for that money you really cannot go wrong esp. with its overclocking potential.

12. What Your Getting?

Features/specs of the Nvidia Geforce 470 GTX, 480 GTX
· Additional Info: GTX400 Graphics Architecture White Paper pdf Download ; Fermi Compute Architecture White Paper pdf Download
· GeForce GTX400 Series Detailed Feature List
· All Technologies Nvidia Offers
· 3D Vision

Features/specs of ATI Radeon 5870, 5970
"sorry don't still have to finish ATI's site I hate finding stuff there..."
· ATI Radeon™ HD 5870 Eyefinity 6 Edition Graphics
· The More I try to navigate their site the more I hate it /sigh still looking for more btw
Sadly as you can tell by reading ATI users that already have 5870's that are not the Eyefinity 6 version of the card will have to purchase new gpus to get this feature, cheaper than a Nvidia 3D Vision setup, for nvidia 1-1.5k in gpus 120hz monitors and the 3d vision kit. Only way an ATI consumer that I could see getting upset is if they already purchased standard 5870's and this is something they are wanting.

As you notice 400 series offers more features over the 5000 series.
But in all fairness overall image vibrance in textures does look better over Nvidia but sometimes it's too much and it looks bad. Just depends on the game really. Also where ATI has 1 Tessellation unit on a single gpu the 400 series has 16 scalable Tessellation engines that's why in games that feature this the 400 series does better when you turn this up. The whole 3d popping out of your screen many companies have started to take notice in this, how do I know I am just some guy on the forums? I used to work for EA as an environment artist have seen a lot of the cool stuff to come this year and next, also if you take the time to read a lot of companies are now interested in this tech now, the bad thing is if you want it got to pay for it and get SLI along with the 120hz monitor and of course the glasses and everything to go with it.

Do I think ATI makes bad card? No far from it, they make amazing cards right now are the best for this price/performance economy, have sold more gpus so far for DX11 cards than Nvidia, they were also on time... Their gpus use less power, have less heat but offer less features but your not paying 500 dollars for thier single gpu possibly on features you dont want or need.. Are the new 470 and the 480 GTX good cards worth the money? Yes if the features they offer are what you're looking for, if the upgrade is really worth the upgrade for you. Because fermi's release has lit a fire under ATI, we will see thier cards offering better tessellation in thier next driver update. Hopefully for those who use our gpus for work and play ATI will offer better gaming drivers that support not only the gaming side of things but 3D software package side of things as well. To be honest I wish I could have both.

Hope this sheds some light for some my fingers hurt and this is a book... You don't have to believe anything I say, what you buy should not be based off of what I tell you to buy. It should be based of your current setup, your own needs, what you expect out of your machine, and how are the gains in you upgrading and is it something you can live without.

I found this to be a good read. http://www.overclock.net/nvidia/6985...rdered-12.html
Asus Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition | Intel 4930k | SS Phasechange | 16GB Corsair Platinum DDR3 1866 | Asus GTX680 x2 SLI | Corsair AX1200 Watt PSU | Lian-Li PC-8NWX | Intel 520 120Gb SSD x2 | Samsung S27A950D 27" 120Hz | HP ZR24w 24" S-IPS x3 Nvidia Surround @6000x1200 | Xonar Essence STX
Muppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-10, 07:53 PM   #326
Logical

Thats a good read and basicaly acknowledges what i said before.

I wont be buying the GTX480. I will however be getting the next revision of it..maybe the GTX485 at what will predictably be released at a lower price than the GTX480 but with better cooling and increased clocks.

No doubt there will be many that wont wait that long and go ahead and buy the GTX480 but i have my eye on another GTX285 to go SLI with, which will certainly last me till the release of GTX485.
Logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-10, 08:21 PM   #327
Muppet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical View Post
Thats a good read and basically acknowledges what i said before.

I wont be buying the GTX480. I will however be getting the next revision of it..maybe the GTX485 at what will predictably be released at a lower price than the GTX480 but with better cooling and increased clocks.

No doubt there will be many that wont wait that long and go ahead and buy the GTX480 but i have my eye on another GTX285 to go SLI with, which will certainly last me till the release of GTX485.
Yeah, I thought it was pretty good. I don't have a choice even if I wanted. Silly me went and sold all 3 of my 280's to mates that where in a bad need for upgrades. I'm only using this last one until the 480 arrives. Hopefully sometime this week or early next week as I have a big lan coming up. It's an all weekender.
Asus Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition | Intel 4930k | SS Phasechange | 16GB Corsair Platinum DDR3 1866 | Asus GTX680 x2 SLI | Corsair AX1200 Watt PSU | Lian-Li PC-8NWX | Intel 520 120Gb SSD x2 | Samsung S27A950D 27" 120Hz | HP ZR24w 24" S-IPS x3 Nvidia Surround @6000x1200 | Xonar Essence STX
Muppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-10, 09:24 PM   #328
kaptkarl
Carolina Panthers Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
and it is fastest single GPU card, and thats what matters
If that is what matters to you.....so be it.
16GB G. Skill Ripsaw DDR3 1600MHz memory
Powercolor 5870 OC'd to 949/1255
(OC'd only when gaming of course)
11.8 Cat drivers
650W power supply
Seagate 1TB 7200RPM SATA HD
Sony dual layer 16X DVD/CD Writer
LG 8X Blu-ray Writer
HP w2408h 24" monitor running @ 1920x1200 native rez
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit
kaptkarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-10, 09:30 PM   #329
kaptkarl
Carolina Panthers Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthBeavis View Post
you don't even understand the terminology
Not trying to troll or flame this thread, but explain it to me then ok??

The way I perceive it is this......a single card, whether it has one or 2 gpu's, is still one card. Claiming to be the fastest single card, or the fastest single gpu card is two totally different things IMO.

Kapt
11.8 Cat drivers
650W power supply
LG 8X Blu-ray Writer
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit
Old 04-04-10, 10:08 PM   #330
K007

to me i still see 1 gpu = single gpu, if there is more than one...thats a multi-gpu setup.

Just because it IS in one PCB doesn't mean its a single gpu, it still needs sli/xfire profiles to work, and it uses both gpu's to render the scene.

Right now the GTX480 even after the blowing of trades is still the fastest single GPU out right now, but ATi has had a long time to get there next set out, and i hope they can pull another rabbit out of there hats, and not another multi gpu, i rather they get a solid 5980 Single GPU out.
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-10, 10:49 PM   #331
kaptkarl
Carolina Panthers Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K007 View Post
to me i still see 1 gpu = single gpu, if there is more than one...thats a multi-gpu setup.

Just because it IS in one PCB doesn't mean its a single gpu, it still needs sli/xfire profiles to work, and it uses both gpu's to render the scene.

Right now the GTX480 even after the blowing of trades is still the fastest single GPU out right now, but ATi has had a long time to get there next set out, and i hope they can pull another rabbit out of there hats, and not another multi gpu, i rather they get a solid 5980 Single GPU out.
Gotcha....I see you logic.
11.8 Cat drivers
650W power supply
LG 8X Blu-ray Writer
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit
Old 04-05-10, 07:04 AM   #332
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Here's a good review from Hexus that pits two 5850s in CF against one GTX 480. Too bad they didn't include metro 2033 in their benchmarks.

Old 04-05-10, 07:55 AM   #333
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!

Send a message via AIM to Madpistol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toss3 View Post
Here's a good review from Hexus that pits two 5850s in CF against one GTX 480. Too bad they didn't include metro 2033 in their benchmarks.
Dang! It seems like 2 5850's in Crossfire is the way to go right now. You get quite a lot for your money there.

MadPistol's Rig

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (RB-C3) @ 4Ghz, 1.425 Vcore, 1.25V NB VID
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan)
Gigabyte UD3H AM3 790GX motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 5870
PNY XLR8 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality Titanium
OCZ Vertex II 120GB SSD (OS drive)
Western Digital 500GB Caviar (black)
Western Digital 640GB Blue
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech MX performance mouse
Logitech G15 keyboard
Corsair HX 750-watt Modular PSU
Antec Nine Hundred case
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
ASUS MK241 24" LCD
ACER X241W 24" LCD - RIP
Madpistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-10, 08:05 AM   #334
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpistol View Post
Dang! It seems like 2 5850's in Crossfire is the way to go right now. You get quite a lot for your money there.
Yup, but they forgot to mention that you can overclock them by nearly 40%.
Old 04-05-10, 09:27 AM   #335
scubes

but isnt this comparing to cards to one again wot is the use of this as the 480 is a single card not 2....
scubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-10, 09:29 AM   #336
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubes View Post
but isnt this comparing to cards to one again wot is the use of this as the 480 is a single card not 2....
They're being sold at the same price so they are competitors(unless of course you want SLI).