Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-02-10, 02:16 PM   #181
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Default Re: Man, it is sooo hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Prime View Post
I guess you didn't understand it at all? He didn't "change the ambient temp" rocket scientist. The heat from the card inside the case was making it go up. That was the point. That last one, in a game, after an hour, the case temp had gone up to ~100 degrees F in the case from the card, and the fan was at ~90%. If he had kept going for 3-4 hours at that same rate, what would have happened? The fan had already climbed to near max, another 30 min or so and the fan would have hit 100% and theres no where to go from there.

Who knows for sure, it may have leveled out at 90% fan speed, but it didn't look like it was going to, to me. I personally would be worried about a runaway heat scenario where the card keeps heating the inside of the case, making it harder to cool the card, which then heats up more, heating the case air more, and so on, until something overheats and fails.
The GTX 480's heat output is not nearly high enough to cause a runaway scenario. If that was the case it would have happened to all of the current rigs using sli or crossfire.
Old 04-02-10, 02:45 PM   #182
shadow001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toss3 View Post
The GTX 480's heat output is not nearly high enough to cause a runaway scenario. If that was the case it would have happened to all of the current rigs using sli or crossfire.

None of them are using as much power as these cards do though,and it's a given that those who use SLI or crossfire setups,also have systems that are being overclocked overall,so that's more heat radiating from the CPU cooler,the motherboard,the DDR 3 ram,and of course the video cards themsleves,even more so when the cards also are being overclocked.

So it's a lot of heat sources combined that add up in the end,hence why we see some PC cases in the last couple of years with a lot of cooling options(Including water cooling),that previous generation PC cases never needed to support in the first place.

Heck,i'm still part of the generation when cards were limited to the PCI and AGP power standard,which even the highest end cards back then(Geforce TI4600 and ATI radeon 8500),had to comply with,and the upper power limit for AGP 8X was 40 watts for the whole card.

9 years later,here we are with cards using up to 300 watts on their own,and so large and heavy due to the cooling requirements,you could knock someone out if you hit them on the head with one of them...
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-10, 03:00 PM   #183
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow001 View Post
None of them are using as much power as these cards do though,and it's a given that those who use SLI or crossfire setups,also have systems that are being overclocked overall,so that's more heat radiating from the CPU cooler,the motherboard,the DDR 3 ram,and of course the video cards themsleves,even more so when the cards also are being overclocked.

So it's a lot of heat sources combined that add up in the end,hence why we see some PC cases in the last couple of years with a lot of cooling options(Including water cooling),that previous generation PC cases never needed to support in the first place.

Heck,i'm still part of the generation when cards were limited to the PCI and AGP power standard,which even the highest end cards back then(Geforce TI4600 and ATI radeon 8500),had to comply with,and the upper power limit for AGP 8X was 40 watts for the whole card.

9 years later,here we are with cards using up to 300 watts on their own,and so large and heavy due to the cooling requirements,you could knock someone out if you hit them on the head with one of them...
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/N..._Fermi/30.html

Really doubt it would cause your PC to melt.
Old 04-02-10, 03:33 PM   #184
shadow001

Quote:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/N..._Fermi/30.html

Really doubt it would cause your PC to melt.

Not melt,but look at those figures and add them up when using a dual or worse yet triple GTX480 SLI setup....The numbers get pretty high in average,maximum and peak power consumption on 3 cards.

Even just taking the average figures shown there,it adds up to 660 watts just for the 3 GTX 480 cards at stock clocks,not including any extra heat from overclocking them,or the heat produced from the CPU overclock,which an i7 920 at 4Ghz isn't far off hitting 200 watts TDP with all cores running and hyperthreading enabled in it's own.

If i were buying them,i'd probably choose a motherboard with a dual slot spacing between the 2 PCI-e X16 slots for an SLI setup using 2 GTX480's(ASUS PT6 board for instance),as it allows more room for the 2 cards to "breathe",but once you hit 3 GTX480 card setups,it would be water cooling from then on....I wouldn't take a chance hitting extremely high temperatures,high noise or limiting my overclocks by still using the stock coolers at that point.
Old 04-02-10, 03:45 PM   #185
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
he was negative about the from the start even months before it was released.

from the same article

Quote:
I spent a full day gaming on it, and quite frankly it did not leave me with a bad taste in my mouth
and according to the bottle rocket scientist it would cause runaway scenario little over an hour.

Quote:
ambient temperature of less than 80F in your house, you should be OK with the GTX 480 sound profile
also with single display, iddle temp was 45-50c (that is lower then my GTX 280)

Quote:
Of course you can make the GTX 480 fan obnoxiously loud and annoying, but you have to get it hot and spun up into the 85%+ range. Doing that is going to require a chassis with terrible airflow or an ambient air temp that is very toasty.
but of course all the ati folks, only seem to spot read only the bad parts.
Old 04-02-10, 03:48 PM   #186
Xion X2

If I didn't have my 5970s already then I would pick up a couple of 480s and watercool them because they're fantastic performers.

That's Fermi's strong suit. It's a great performer, and it has a large frame-buffer.

But those who keep trying to defend its power consumption/heat need to just drop it. You can't defend it. It's abnormally high in both categories and could cause problems for users who put them in bad cases.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-10, 03:50 PM   #187
Ninja Prime

Quote:
In the case of SLI though, you have the same amount of air pushing through each card, but generally speaking, each card is doing less work. In this way, SLI is theoretically making less heat per card, and thus less heat dumped back in, per card. Although, I would agree that even with the GTX 480 it seems unlikely, but that video makes me a little leary of putting one in a case I didn't know had really good airflow.
Ninja Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-10, 03:58 PM   #188
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2 View Post
If I didn't have my 5970s already then I would pick up a couple of 480s and watercool them because they're fantastic performers.

That's Fermi's strong suit. It's a great performer, and it has a large frame-buffer.

But those who keep trying to defend its power consumption/heat need to just drop it. You can't defend it. It's abnormally high in both categories and could cause problems for users who put them in bad cases.
I think nvidia's strong suit right now is the ability to force AA in almost every title. Trying to play Dead Space on my 5850 gives me a headache after 5 minutes - the lack off AA is really an eyesore. Also nvidia's SSAA quality is much better than ATI's.

Old 04-02-10, 04:05 PM   #189
shadow001

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
he was negative about the from the start even months before it was released.

from the same article

and according to the bottle rocket scientist it would cause runaway scenario little over an hour.

also with single display, iddle temp was 45-50c (that is lower then my GTX 280)

but of course all the ati folks, only seem to spot read only the bad parts.

And for those people who live in parts of the world where temperatures in the summer can go well past 100*F,and don't have an A/C in the room where the PC using the GTX480 is located....Should they only use it at night when the ambient temperatures are lower.

This applies even more for those going the dual and triple SLI GTX480 SLI options,and it's something that already worries me,as i'm using a pair of HD5970 cards in my system,and it looks like we're going to have a really warm summer ahead.
Old 04-02-10, 04:06 PM   #190
Xion X2

Quote:
I think nvidia's strong suit right now is the ability to force AA in almost every title. Trying to play Dead Space on my 5850 gives me a headache after 5 minutes - the lack off AA is really an eyesore. Also nvidia's SSAA quality is much better than ATI's.
Their AA implementation is better than ATI's because you can force it in more titles. I like ATI's AA modes better, though. You can't beat Edge-Detect, imo. It offers the best quality I've seen at a reasonable performance hit.

I don't use SSAA in anything. Too much of a performance hit.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-10, 04:11 PM   #191
shadow001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Prime View Post
In the case of SLI though, you have the same amount of air pushing through each card, but generally speaking, each card is doing less work. In this way, SLI is theoretically making less heat per card, and thus less heat dumped back in, per card. Although, I would agree that even with the GTX 480 it seems unlikely, but that video makes me a little leary of putting one in a case I didn't know had really good airflow.

It depends on the motherboard you use though,as boards with 2 slot spacing between PCI-e X16 slots leave more room for each card,but many motherboards use only a 1 slot spacing,so the cards are close together(seperated by a few milimeters once installed),and partially blocks the intake fan for the top card on the very first PCI-e X16 slot.

Not to mention that since the cards are close together,the top card isn't taking in that much fresh air,as the bottom card just below is radiating a fair amount of heat,so the air is warmed up to begin with.
Old 04-02-10, 04:18 PM   #192
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2 View Post
there is a good point to defending it, while it is higher.

some of folks on this forum and other places make it sound like it spits out fire and will cause nuclear meltdown.