Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-02-10, 04:22 PM   #193
Slytat

Default Re: Man, it is sooo hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
there is a good point to defending it, while it is higher.

some of folks on this forum and other places make it sound like it spits out fire and will cause nuclear meltdown.
No, most ATI fans (here at least) concede Fermi is a solid performer with heat issues and a high TDP. It's the Nvidia camp that tries to make out that it's flawless.

My preference is usually Nvidia but facts are facts.
Slytat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-10, 04:33 PM   #194
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2 View Post
Their AA implementation is better than ATI's because you can force it in more titles. I like ATI's AA modes better, though. You can't beat Edge-Detect, imo. It offers the best quality I've seen at a reasonable performance hit.

I don't use SSAA in anything. Too much of a performance hit.
With two 5970s in CF I can't see why you wouldn't be using SSAA in every title!

Could you do a little test for me(requires Crysis)?
1. Enable GPU Scaling from the CCC
2. Set your resolution to 3840x2400(or double the number you're currently running) from the config file(autoexec.cfg or config.cfg in your crysis/game folder)
you could also set it from the console(which would help you navigate the menus(r_width and r_height))
3. Start the game and see what kind of performance you get!
Old 04-02-10, 05:48 PM   #195
Xion X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toss3 View Post
With two 5970s in CF I can't see why you wouldn't be using SSAA in every title!
My build is still in progress. I have all the components; I'm just still doing work on the case. Therefore, I haven't tried SSAA on these cards. I doubt still that I will use it much as I'll need most of the graphics power for Eyefinity (3x1920 LCDs.)

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-10, 06:00 PM   #196
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Quote:
My build is still in progress. I have all the components; I'm just still doing work on the case. Therefore, I haven't tried SSAA on these cards. I doubt still that I will use it much as I'll need most of the graphics power for Eyefinity (3x1920 LCDs.)
Eyefinity apparently doesn't work properly while using crossfire right now. You've probably visited WSGF already, but there's a lot of people complaining about it. :/
Old 04-02-10, 09:13 PM   #197
shadow001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toss3 View Post
Eyefinity apparently doesn't work properly while using crossfire right now. You've probably visited WSGF already, but there's a lot of people complaining about it. :/

It doesn't work as it should and i know by first hand experience,even when using the latest drivers,as the basic problem is creating a display group using 3 monitors while crossfire remains enabled,which the Catalyst control center doesn't allow it,so i have to disable crossfire and rely on a single HD5970 to drive 3 displays,which in most games,still has enough grunt to pull it off with good performance,but the second HD5970 isn't contributing at all,which would be usefull for the most demanding games(think Crysis,Crysis warfare,battlefield bad company 2).

I'm told that a fix for that is coming in a future driver update,but no ETA is given at this point,so for those demanding games,i disable eyefinity and re-enable crossfire to use both cards with one display.
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-10, 09:25 PM   #198
onmikesline

yeah.. dont you look at the main screen more then the others? i just never seen the point really for eyefinity, i tried it a few times and it feels like im getting a suntan and to much to look at, i dunno, maybe i need to have my own setup. i have one lcd, its a dell 30", i cant see my self with 2 more of them on my desk, thats to big, and i dont want to downgrade to 3 smaller ones, so ill just stick to what i have.
onmikesline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-10, 09:37 PM   #199
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by onmikesline View Post
yeah.. dont you look at the main screen more then the others? i just never seen the point really for eyefinity, i tried it a few times and it feels like im getting a suntan and to much to look at, i dunno, maybe i need to have my own setup. i have one lcd, its a dell 30", i cant see my self with 2 more of them on my desk, thats to big, and i dont want to downgrade to 3 smaller ones, so ill just stick to what i have.
same here, would prefer one large screen. 3 displays in row just seem un-natural, its like looking through a visor.
Old 04-02-10, 09:38 PM   #200
shadow001

Quote:
yeah dont you look at the main screen more then the others? i just never seen the point really for eyefinity, i tried it a few times and it feels like im getting a suntan and to much to look at, i dunno, maybe i need to have my own setup. i have one lcd, its a dell 30", i cant see my self with 2 more of them on my desk, thats to big, and i dont want to downgrade to 3 smaller ones, so ill just stick to what i have

I try to consider it relative to a practical real world use,something like anyone who drives their own car would know when it comes to using your peripheral vision to make you a better driver overall,as i hope no one only pays attention to that 45* field of view that's directly in front,but also what's happening on the sides as well.

Eyefinity applies that same safety principle for gaming,and in first person shooters,it does give you an extra edge by seeing harzards coming your way without even needing to move the mouse.....I've foiled many knifing attempts in battlefield bad company 2 because the other guy thought i didn't see him.

And he'd be right if i was using a single display.....It's also a riot when you're helicopter pilot and can see most of the map and hostiles trying to shoot you down with RPG's...lol.

Old 04-02-10, 09:40 PM   #201
onmikesline

^ yeah but is if worth to give up my 30'' for 3 smaller ones? even a 24inch look really small next to my 30 and this screen is sooo nice, never seen a lcd this clear before
onmikesline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-10, 09:53 PM   #202
MikeC
Administrator

Quote:
And that's exactly what I said. What am I missing here?

I didn't say that that's not what he did. I just found it a little alarming that increasing the fan speed to 100% does not help the card to drop below 99C as was evident from his testing when the fan speed increased from 95-100% but the temps remained the same. Normally when you increase the fan speed on a card to 100% you will see the temps drop down to something much more reasonable than 99c. After all, it can't go must faster, can it?
I've been busy the past few days, but you're not missing a thing

More test results.

GPU TEMPS AND FAN SPEED TESTING

Based on having tested the GeForce GTX 480 for the past couple of weeks, I would say that a fan speed of 80% is the threshold where the noise level becomes significant. At high GPU temperatures, typically starting at 95 Celsius, fan RPMs ramp up quickly. Once the GPU temperature stabilizes, fan speed tends to remain constant or drop slightly from that point forward.

I put my observation to the test by running a series of benchmarks from a variety of games and applications. In addition to the results below, I provided screenshots that contain GPU temperature and fan speed. Results indicate the GPU stabilization temperature and the fan speed that was needed to achieve those results.

Screenshots:
Just Cause 2, World in Conflict, Crysis, Dragon Age, Far Cry 2, FurMark, Lost Planet, Neverwinter Nights 2 and Batman.

In Batman Arkham Asylum, a 57% fan speed was needed to maintain a GPU temperature of 89 Celsius. On the other hand, a fan speed of 78% was needed to stabilize a GPU temperature of 91 Celsius when running FurMark.

There are a couple of points to take away from this exercise. First, the GeForce GTX 480 GPU runs hot under load. NVIDIA didn't beat around the bush here, as Drew Henry, General Manager of GeForce products, had this to say on NVIDIA's nTersect blog.

Quote:
We wanted to let you know that we've also heard your concerns about GTX 480 with respect to power and heat. When you build a high performance GPU like the GTX 480 it will consume a lot of power to enable the performance and features I listed above. It was a tradeoff for us, but we wanted it to be fast. The chip is designed to run at high temperature so there is no effect on quality or longevity. We think the tradeoff is right.
The second point, is that no test required a fan speed of 80% to stabilize the GPU temperature. As I mentioned previously, fan noise becomes slightly noticeable around the 55% mark. Upping the speed to the 70% or 75% mark certainly increase the noise level, which I can take when compared to the fan noise that's produced at 80%.

Keep in mind that this testing was done with the side of the enclosure open. Your mileage will vary...

PS: Not sure what to make of the fan speeds when compared to GPU temperatures. It would be interesting to learn more about the type of algorithm NVIDIA uses in this area.
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-10, 09:56 PM   #203
shadow001

Quote:
^ yeah but is if worth to give up my 30'' for 3 smaller ones? even a 24inch look really small next to my 30 and this screen is sooo nice, never seen a lcd this clear before

Well,even a triple 24" LCD setup totals 5760*1200 resolutions,which is quite a bit higher and harder to drive than a 30" LCD at it's native resolution(2560*1600),so it's a huge desktop that allows to keep multiple applications open across all 3 displays,as well as requiring a large desk to fit it all too.

The only setups that would top that are Dell's newest 27" LCD's or using a triple 30" LCD setup,at which point you're looking at 7580*1600 resolutions natively,but also another 2000$+ on those 2 extra displays as well,so it's not cheap to say the least.
Old 04-02-10, 10:01 PM   #204
Muppet

Quote:
I to would much rather have one large screen, than 3 smaller ones. Even when Nvidia's 3 way 3D screen sloution comes out, I won't be getting it. I would much rather have one large 40" or larger screen.
Asus Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition | Intel 4930k | SS Phasechange | 16GB Corsair Platinum DDR3 1866 | Asus GTX680 x2 SLI | Corsair AX1200 Watt PSU | Lian-Li PC-8NWX | Intel 520 120Gb SSD x2 | Samsung S27A950D 27" 120Hz | HP ZR24w 24" S-IPS x3 Nvidia Surround @6000x1200 | Xonar Essence STX
Muppet is offline   Reply With Quote