Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-04-10, 12:47 PM   #253
shadow001

Default Re: Man, it is sooo hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
That's why I added that, to point out that text reading on a 1080p LCD TV is no issue at all.

I'm not saying it's unreadable either,but text looks far better on an actual computer screen due to the smaller dot pitch and higher resolution support,when compared to a much larger home theater oriented display that supports the same resolutions.

Here's an example,the average 24" display supports 1920*1080 and some even support 1920*1200 resolution,so when manufacturers release a wide screen home theater display at 48"~50" in size,but that supports resolutions 2X as high as that computer display,since it is twice as large afterall,which in this case that means 3840*2400 resolutions as it's native,then both 3D movies,3D gaming and reading 2D text will look simply stunning on a display like that,and make the current ones look like crap by comparison.

No such display exists yet,even though the technology is available to make it happen if standards for that are set.
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-10, 12:59 PM   #254
shadow001

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthBeavis View Post
Text looks sharp and clean on the Panasonic Plasma I am working with on my tour. I agree with you on text on DLPS.

It comes down to the relative pixel size/total amount compared to the total area of the display itself,and there might slightly better ones when comparing DLP,to plasma to LCD varieties of home theater type displays,but they all take a back seat to a computer monitor supporting that same resolution on a smaller display when viewing 2D text.

As for 3D gaming with glasses,i saw the samsung demo system at my local future shop yesterday,which is a 46" panel,3D blueray player and also offering a pair of shutter glasses for a package deal of 3999$.....It was showing that monsters movie in 3D mode.

If the glasses are bought seperaty,they cost about 200$ a piece,so it can get expensive if you have a family and need to buy 4~5 pairs of glasses so all of them can enjoy it.
Old 04-04-10, 01:05 PM   #255
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
Quote:
Legit Reviews got our hands on the latest video card BIOS revision for the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 reference graphics card! We were told is the version that will be used on the GeForce GTX 480 graphics cards when they come out in just a couple weeks as it should fix the high temperature issue that we saw in our review last week!
Nice - I want to see reviews after this bios fix is implemented. As a guy who is staying strictly air cooled, this could be a deal maker for me. I can live with the power draw off one card, and the cost possibly.
Old 04-04-10, 01:08 PM   #256
K007

what exactly did they fix tho? i mean...make fan go faster???....or sensor glitch fix?
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-10, 01:10 PM   #257
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by K007 View Post
what exactly did they fix tho? i mean...make fan go faster???....or sensor glitch fix?
It just says minor tweaks and bug fixes, but it specifically mentions the dual monitor heat issues too, so I wonder if it's just for that?
Old 04-04-10, 01:45 PM   #258
newparad1gm

If I ever move out of the city, first thing I'm doing is getting a place with a nice basement or large room and then hooking up three HD 3D Projectors to whatever NVIDIA 3D Surround or ATI 3D Eyefinity solution is out by then and projecting a massive 3D image onto a wall. No bezels or anything, just pure 3D projection goodness at 3x (or maybe even 6x) HD resolutions. For now I'll just have to settle for multi-monitor 3D, and only NVIDIA has that currently. If ATI ever releases a good first party solution or gives heavy support to a good third party solution for multi-monitor 3D, then I might consider jumping ship depending on who has the better card when that happens.
Intel Core i7 3930K | Asus X79 Sabertooth | 4x4 GB G.Skill RipJaw PC3-12800 | 2x EVGA NVIDIA GTX TITAN Signature 6GB SLI | OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD | 2x500 GB Seagate Barracuda RAID 0 | LG BD-ROM | Cyber Acoustics CA3001WB 2.1 Speakers | SeaSonic 1250W PSU | 3x Acer GD235HZ 23.6in 120Hz | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Windows 8 Pro x64 | NVIDIA 3DVision SURROUND

CRIMSON DYNAMO:
Intel Core i7 2600K | Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H | 2x4 GB G.Skill Ripjaw PC3-12800 | XFX AMD R9 290X 4GB | Intel X-25M G2 160GB SSD | 2x250GB RAID 0 | Samsung BD-ROM | ABS SL 1050W PSU | Toshiba 42" REGZA 1080p HDTV | Antec 900 ATX | Windows 8 Pro x64

Sailor Jupiter (HTPC):
Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5200 | ZOTAC Geforce 9300 | 2x2 GB OCZ Fatal1ty PC2-8500 | WD 1TB | Hitachi 2TB External | MediaSonic HFR2-SU3S2 4x3TB Seagate Barracuda RAID 1+0 | LG Blu-Ray/HD DVD-ROM | FSP 150W PSU | Toshiba 42" REGZA 1080p HDTV | Foxconn RS233 mini-ITX | Windows 7 Pro x86
newparad1gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-10, 01:58 PM   #259
shadow001

Quote:
3d movies <> 3d gaming. everyone I demo to says the gaming is way above and beyond the blue ray and DirectTV 3d demos we are also showing. Panasonic shutters are $150 for an extra pair.

3D gaming with the glasses is better simply because it's interactive,while watching 3D movies with glasses is more of a passive affair where the user has no control on the action itself or how the story unfolds,but i was talking about the 3D visual effects specifically,which are the same in both cases.

The displays are already expensive and so is the 3D blueray player,and in my particular case there's 6 people living in the house,which if we'd organize a 3D movie night and we do it every now and then,means getting shutter glasses for all of them,so that's 900$ for the Panasonic shutters and 1200$ for the samsung shutters for 6 people.

What i'm basically saying is that makers can't assume it'll only be you and your girlfirend watching movies or playing games using 3D glasses here,and it can get very expensive for those who do have larger families afterall....I'd be looking at 5000$ + with taxes easily for the whole kit.

And at the end of the day,i have my local IMAX theater about 15 mins from where i live,which uses a 6 story high screen,twin Imax projectors,12 000 watts of audio power split across 20+ speakers and of course,using shutter glasses,and between the 6 people,costs me about 100$ in tickets,and the last movie i saw was none other than avatar,and no home theater beats that experience period.
Old 04-04-10, 03:07 PM   #260
trivium nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC View Post
omg i wanna buy that!
42"Vizio TV-1920x1080-1080P-120Hertz//Win 7 Ultimate(64)//XBox360-pc controller
Saitek Eclipse 2 keyboard//Razer DeathAdder Mouse//250gb-Xbox 360//160gb-PS3
trivium nate is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-10, 03:15 PM   #261
shadow001

Quote:
The 3d effects in gaming are better. You can use your PC with updated third party software to play 3d blue rays, no need to by an expensive BR player.

If I watched BR movies with my girlfriend this would all be a moot issues as my wife would skin me alive.

Better in what way?.....I mean the 3D depth perception in avatar on that giant Imax screen was amazing to say the least.
Old 04-04-10, 03:34 PM   #262
Arioch

I have been dabbling in 3D gaming since the early 2000's and was happy to see Nvidia finally support it fully. While movies like Avatar look good in 3D they don't come close to matching what you can see in gaming. For one thing you have control over how much depth you have with games. The immersion factor of playing a first person rpg or shooter with maximum depth and cranked up convergence is unreal.

I am going to get a pair of EVGA 480 cards as soon as they are available on Newegg. If I have to wait a little longer that is ok because I am not going to pay more than retail for them and I trust Newegg. With EVGA I get peace of mind with their warranty. I have a lot of games I am intentionally not playing right now because I want to be able to play them with better performance on those cards. Metro 2033, Just Cause 2, and Resident Evil 5 are just a few of them. Right now I am going back and playing some older titles in 3D and it feels like I am playing them for the first time. Dark Messiah and F.E.A.R. are a blast with 3d Vision!
Arioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-10, 05:00 PM   #263
shadow001

Quote:
you have to see it bud. I am sorry but some things you just cannot describe.

I'm just trying to understand what you mean since let's face it,Movies released in Imax format is already an impressive experience as it is,given the size of the screen and the image quality from the Imax projector,so add the 3D shutter glasses to that mix and a movie like avatar which cost upwards of 500 million dollars to make,and in the visual sense,what i ended up seeing looked as real as technology currently allows,period.

No game has that kind of astronomical budget or using the latest technology that james cameron used in making avatar happen from a technical standpoint,even if the rest of the movie for it's acting and storyline has been done in the past and is nothing new.
Old 04-04-10, 05:04 PM   #264
Muppet

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow001 View Post
Better in what way?.....I mean the 3D depth perception in avatar on that giant Imax screen was amazing to say the least.
If you thought the 3D in Avatar was great, then you ain't seen nothing yet. Maybe when ATI gets there 3D to retail, you can try it. If it is as good as Nvidia's solution then you will be amazed.
Asus Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition | Intel 4930k | SS Phasechange | 16GB Corsair Platinum DDR3 1866 | Asus GTX680 x2 SLI | Corsair AX1200 Watt PSU | Lian-Li PC-8NWX | Intel 520 120Gb SSD x2 | Samsung S27A950D 27" 120Hz | HP ZR24w 24" S-IPS x3 Nvidia Surround @6000x1200 | Xonar Essence STX
Muppet is offline   Reply With Quote