Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-04-10, 05:11 PM   #265
Revs

Default Re: Man, it is sooo hot.

Avatar 3D was damn good, but yes, 3D with the shutter specs on a PC is better. When 3D TV's catch on and prices drop I'll probably prolly invest. For now, I'm skint .
Revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-10, 06:48 PM   #266
shadow001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppet View Post
If you thought the 3D in Avatar was great, then you ain't seen nothing yet. Maybe when ATI gets there 3D to retail, you can try it. If it is as good as Nvidia's solution then you will be amazed.

All i'm saying is that they had access to the very latest technology to make the kind of graphics they did in avatar,which included the kind of budget that game developers would kill for to create their games to their full vision,while pushing the latest high end cards to their knees trying to even play it....To a smaller extent,it's kinda like what happened when Crytek released Crysis about 2 1/2 years ago,and even the very fastest hardware available at the time couldn't play it smoothly at high or extreme settings,and it's still a challenge to run it today and still one of the best looking games out there.

Wrap that up in a screen that's 6 stories high,uses the best projectors in existance(Imax remember?),packs 12 000 watts of sound power,and as the cherry on top on the cake,was created having 3D shutter glasses in mind from the very start,and it's the total package that no home theater setup can beat that,no matter how much money you put into it.....

The only thing that can compete with an Imax screen is another Imax screen,and versions that can be installed in homes doesn't exist,and likely never will,since the projector alone weighs in at 1 ton.....Kinda tricky to fit that monster inside of a house..

Not to mention that the PC that can run the caliber of 3D graphics shown in Avatar in real time simply doesn't exist yet....It might happen in 5 or 10 years from now,but not today.
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-10, 07:11 PM   #267
Muppet

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow001 View Post
All i'm saying is that they had access to the very latest technology to make the kind of graphics they did in avatar,which included the kind of budget that game developers would kill for to create their games to their full vision,while pushing the latest high end cards to their knees trying to even play it....To a smaller extent,it's kinda like what happened when Crytek released Crysis about 2 1/2 years ago,and even the very fastest hardware available at the time couldn't play it smoothly at high or extreme settings,and it's still a challenge to run it today and still one of the best looking games out there.

Wrap that up in a screen that's 6 stories high,uses the best projectors in existence(Imax remember?),packs 12 000 watts of sound power,and as the cherry on top on the cake,was created having 3D shutter glasses in mind from the very start,and it's the total package that no home theater setup can beat that,no matter how much money you put into it.....

The only thing that can compete with an Imax screen is another Imax screen,and versions that can be installed in homes doesn't exist,and likely never will,since the projector alone weighs in at 1 ton.....Kinda tricky to fit that monster inside of a house..

Not to mention that the PC that can run the caliber of 3D graphics shown in Avatar in real time simply doesn't exist yet....It might happen in 5 or 10 years from now,but not today.
But the 3D effect was turned way down in Avatar. That was to stop possible nausea from people who aren't used to it. Trust me when I say this. The 3D effect with Nvidia's stereoscopic glasses is way better than the Avatar movie. Honestly, if you haven't seen it, you can't understand just how good it is.
Asus Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition | Intel 4930k | SS Phasechange | 16GB Corsair Platinum DDR3 1866 | Asus GTX680 x2 SLI | Corsair AX1200 Watt PSU | Lian-Li PC-8NWX | Intel 520 120Gb SSD x2 | Samsung S27A950D 27" 120Hz | HP ZR24w 24" S-IPS x3 Nvidia Surround @6000x1200 | Xonar Essence STX
Muppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-10, 07:24 PM   #268
shadow001

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthBeavis View Post
dorkfish we are talking about comparing gaming vs other contest on a 3d TV not comparing to the Imax.
True,it isn't a contest that is fair,but what i saw there impressed me in a big way,so any toned down version used in the home,given the much smaller screen,the audio system being no where near as powerfull or clear sounding,or that the source material(3D games),don't have the kind of graphics that avatar packed,or that there's a PC in existance that can run that in real time anyhow,even if the glasses themselves are just as good.

It's sort of like the difference between a modern fighter jet,and the wright brothers biplane 100 years ago....They're both planes and can fly,but not quite the same caliber...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppet View Post
But the 3D effect was turned way down in Avatar. That was to stop possible nausea from people who aren't used to it. Trust me when I say this. The 3D effect with Nvidia's stereoscopic glasses is way better than the Avatar movie. Honestly, if you haven't seen it, you can't understand just how good it is.

And i thought it was perfect just like that....Enough to give a real sense of depth to a given scene,without having to exagerate the effect just to be in the users face....I saw the monsters movie using samsungs 3D display and their shutter glasses this past saturday at a future shop store,and while the 3D effect was cool,it some scenes,it was exagerated on purpose,like when there were times when a gun was pointed at someone,and it looked like it was pointed right my forehead.
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-10, 07:29 PM   #269
Muppet

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow001 View Post

And i thought it was perfect just like that....Enough to give a real sense of depth to a given scene,without having to exagerate the effect just to be in the users face....I saw the monsters movie using samsungs 3D display and their shutter glasses this past saturday at a future shop store,and while the 3D effect was cool,it some scenes,it was exagerated on purpose,like when there were times when a gun was pointed at someone,and it looked like it was pointed right my forehead.
That's the great thing about Nvidia's solution. You can turn up or down the 3D effect. I to enjoyed Avatar ( I have seen it twice) But the 3D isn't as good as gaming with Nvidia's solution, that's for sure.
Asus Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition | Intel 4930k | SS Phasechange | 16GB Corsair Platinum DDR3 1866 | Asus GTX680 x2 SLI | Corsair AX1200 Watt PSU | Lian-Li PC-8NWX | Intel 520 120Gb SSD x2 | Samsung S27A950D 27" 120Hz | HP ZR24w 24" S-IPS x3 Nvidia Surround @6000x1200 | Xonar Essence STX
Muppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-10, 10:25 AM   #270
Enrico_be

GTX480 Dual 6-pin PCB Designed by Sunflower

Quote:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480/470 is published, various manufacturers are clearly optimistic about this new product, have resorted to tricks to attract non-public version of the public. Sunflower also plans to introduce domestic self-designed products of non-public version of GTX480 and GTX470.

Sunflower has already done the GTX480's PCB design, only to be sent east to NVIDIA GPU on the energy production on the market. From the figure of GTX480 PCB can be seen, this non-public version of the use of the 6pin +6 pin power supply interface to. For this reason, I deliberately consulted sunflowers, informed 6pin +6 pin enough to provide a stable power supply card, I believe power down than the public version.
http://translate.google.com/translat...&sl=auto&tl=en
Enrico_be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-10, 08:25 PM   #271
MikeC
Administrator

Question Re: Man, it is sooo hot.

Quote:
I feel like the GTX 480 is getting a bit of a bad rap.
Note that this is a blog report...

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/18774
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-10, 09:27 AM   #272
turdhat

Well I started this thread so let me put it to sleep.

Temps are a non issue. Bad rap is right. Fanboy hysteria the culprit ?

I dont know about anyone else but here is my findings (posted in another thread)

My card has not hit above 90c with fan forced at 70% (which isnt loud to me at all) running extreme burn on furmark. Keep in mind my core is running at 806 (default 701), shader at 1612 (Default 1400) and to my surprise is rock solid.

The memory doesnt like being pushed very far however. At 970 (default 925) Heaven Dx11 bench would hard lock and throw crap all over the screen. Mem at 945 + 806core and 1612 shader =rock solid and very, very fast.

The card rocks, the heat is a non issue and it overclocks f&^king awesome with no effort. My case is a wind tunnel with great airflow. Ambient temps on air coming in to the case are about 73.5f at the moment.

Next step, I7 at at least 4.0ghz. Dont know for sure if that q6600 in sig is holding me back too much.
Gigabyte 580 @945/2232
4 Gigs Ripjaw @ 1600
Antec (a good one) 650w
A Partridge in a pear tree.
turdhat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-10, 10:11 AM   #273
Xion X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by turdhat View Post
Well I started this thread so let me put it to sleep.

Temps are a non issue. Bad rap is right. Fanboy hysteria the culprit ?

I dont know about anyone else but here is my findings (posted in another thread)

My card has not hit above 90c with fan forced at 70% (which isnt loud to me at all) running extreme burn on furmark. Keep in mind my core is running at 806 (default 701), shader at 1612 (Default 1400) and to my surprise is rock solid.

The memory doesnt like being pushed very far however. At 970 (default 925) Heaven Dx11 bench would hard lock and throw crap all over the screen. Mem at 945 + 806core and 1612 shader =rock solid and very, very fast.

The card rocks, the heat is a non issue and it overclocks f&^king awesome with no effort. My case is a wind tunnel with great airflow. Ambient temps on air coming in to the case are about 73.5f at the moment.

Next step, I7 at at least 4.0ghz. Dont know for sure if that q6600 in sig is holding me back too much.
There is/was no "fanboy hysteria" as every single review on the web was reporting that Fermi ran abnormally hot. Unless somehow you believe that ATI/AMD have every review site in their pockets?

You're forcing your fan speed at 70% which is different from what the reviews did. They let the default fan profile run the card.

Most cards, if you force the fan to run at 70%, will run cool most of the time.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-10, 10:18 AM   #274
turdhat

Yes you are right about the reviews and default speeds. I was seeing after thoughts from reviews that were talking about high temps even with forced fans. I think Kyle at OCP mentioned it. I know a few did.
Gigabyte 580 @945/2232
4 Gigs Ripjaw @ 1600
Antec (a good one) 650w
A Partridge in a pear tree.
turdhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-10, 10:28 AM   #275
Slytat

Quote:
Originally Posted by turdhat View Post
Yes you are right about the reviews and default speeds. I was seeing after thoughts from reviews that were talking about high temps even with forced fans. I think Kyle at OCP mentioned it. I know a few did.
They dont go anywhere close to 90c on auto fan settings for me. I use a 70% profile to keep them below 80c.
Slytat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-10, 11:11 AM   #276
Arioch

I am currently running my cards at 77% fan speed and I am seeing temps in the high 70s playing Metro 2033.
Arioch is offline   Reply With Quote