Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-28-10, 07:33 PM   #1
six_storm
Registered User
 
six_storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Nashvegas
Posts: 11,575
Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Ubuntu 10.04

Anyone tried out the beta yet? Thanks to zoomy renewing my interest in Linux, I downloaded and installed it on my netbook and my gaming rig (on a spare hard drive). I thought 9.10 was a crappy version as it seemed if nothing was upgraded from 9.04, just the basic doodoo brown theme.

However, I am shocked at how much works right out of the box with 10.04. I get a 27 second boot time on my netbook, everything is pretty darn speedy, the new theme is pretty decent, there is iPod Touch/iPhone support with Rhythmbox, Empathy is worth 2 cents now, Flash is easy to install and I have no hardware issues.

On my gaming rig, I did try to do some gaming with it via Steam and it was a little bit of a disaster. But hey, WINE and others like it still aren't up to par on DX9 so that's pretty disappointing. What did amaze me is that my Razer AC-1 sound card worked right out of the box!

Anybody else using it? I think this release will be a nice big step for Ubuntu IMO. Once the gaming situation can get taken care of, I may just have to start using Linux full time.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-10, 07:47 PM   #2
zoomy942
 
zoomy942's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bellevue, ID
Posts: 5,336
Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942
Default Re: Ubuntu 10.04

agreed. 10.04 is a huge leap for ubuntu. the entire 9.xx series was crap. 8.04 was the last release that was worth a dam. for me, its been fast, secure and offered great battery life thus far. im moving my wife;s netbook over to it next time she isnt looking...
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-10, 07:54 PM   #3
six_storm
Registered User
 
six_storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Nashvegas
Posts: 11,575
Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Re: Ubuntu 10.04

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomy942 View Post
agreed. 10.04 is a huge leap for ubuntu. the entire 9.xx series was crap. 8.04 was the last release that was worth a dam. for me, its been fast, secure and offered great battery life thus far. im moving my wife;s netbook over to it next time she isnt looking...
Haha. Zoomy might be sleeping on the couch for a little while . . .
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-10, 08:31 PM   #4
zoomy942
 
zoomy942's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bellevue, ID
Posts: 5,336
Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942
Default Re: Ubuntu 10.04

lol. she is coming around. her netbook is dog slow with windows 7. its an atom n270 and a 5400 rpm drive. win 7 is a little heavy.

ubuntu 10.04 screams on my netbook with its n280 and 7200 rpm drive
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-10, 08:57 PM   #5
Dizzle7677
Registered User
 
Dizzle7677's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Relativity
Posts: 194
Default Re: Ubuntu 10.04

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
On my gaming rig, I did try to do some gaming with it via Steam and it was a little bit of a disaster.
Steam through wine likes to lock the audio device ,from what I remember, so you won't get sound if you launch it from within Steam. Just launch whatever app from the terminal - 'wine [whatever app]' while steam is online.
Quote:
But hey, WINE and others like it still aren't up to par on DX9 so that's pretty disappointing.
I'll think about your statement while I play Mass Effect 2,and other game/application you care to mention except Crysis(bah!), on Linux. Take a look at the AppDatabase sometime.
Dizzle7677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-10, 09:19 AM   #6
six_storm
Registered User
 
six_storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Nashvegas
Posts: 11,575
Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Re: Ubuntu 10.04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzle7677 View Post
Steam through wine likes to lock the audio device ,from what I remember, so you won't get sound if you launch it from within Steam. Just launch whatever app from the terminal - 'wine [whatever app]' while steam is online.

I'll think about your statement while I play Mass Effect 2,and other game/application you care to mention except Crysis(bah!), on Linux. Take a look at the AppDatabase sometime.
I've done that. I tried playing Modern Warfare 2 and all objects in the game are a bright white light lol. I've messed with gaming in Linux in the past, most of which have been major disappointments when it comes to graphical quality and performance. WINE just isn't there yet but I hope they get there one day!
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-10, 08:53 AM   #7
zoomy942
 
zoomy942's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bellevue, ID
Posts: 5,336
Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942
Default Re: Ubuntu 10.04

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
I've done that. I tried playing Modern Warfare 2 and all objects in the game are a bright white light lol. I've messed with gaming in Linux in the past, most of which have been major disappointments when it comes to graphical quality and performance. WINE just isn't there yet but I hope they get there one day!


maybe your video drivers are the culprit?
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-10, 02:11 PM   #8
six_storm
Registered User
 
six_storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Nashvegas
Posts: 11,575
Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Re: Ubuntu 10.04

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomy942 View Post
maybe your video drivers are the culprit?
Maybe. I've been reading that the NVIDIA drivers outside the Ubuntu official repos won't work properly during Beta. May have to try and force it or something.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-10, 07:53 PM   #9
noko
noko
 
noko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Orlando Florida
Posts: 735
Default Re: Ubuntu 10.04

I decided to try Ubuntu again since my Win7 RC is running out, the official 9.10 version, I was surprised too in how it loaded everything except a 3d graphics driver. That took some effort on my part to load the 195.xx driver set over the 185 driver set incluced which was also not straight forward to load but was successful in the end. Thinking that the most powerful computing element in the machine, the GPU is kinda ignored! Should be allot easier. It did automatically detect my wireless adapter (ancient) and had no problem getting onto the internet.

Yes the loading time is GREAT! Even the shut down time is awesome plus the Software app has tons of stuff one can download and try out all for free. I might keep Linux this time around, my fourth try.
__________________
Gigabit DSL, Q6600 @ 3.4ghz, Mushkin 4gb DDR 800 OCZ 2x2gb , PowerColor HD 5870. 24" Acer LCD, 1TB hd with Vista 64 Home Premium.

Foxconn 780G, Athlon64 X2 5600 @ 3ghz, Mushkin 4gb DDR 800 OCZ 2x2gb , eVga 260 GTX. 17" MagAcer LCD, 120gb Vista 32
noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-10, 11:14 PM   #10
zoomy942
 
zoomy942's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bellevue, ID
Posts: 5,336
Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942
Default Re: Ubuntu 10.04

Quote:
Originally Posted by noko View Post
I decided to try Ubuntu again since my Win7 RC is running out, the official 9.10 version, I was surprised too in how it loaded everything except a 3d graphics driver. That took some effort on my part to load the 195.xx driver set over the 185 driver set incluced which was also not straight forward to load but was successful in the end. Thinking that the most powerful computing element in the machine, the GPU is kinda ignored! Should be allot easier. It did automatically detect my wireless adapter (ancient) and had no problem getting onto the internet.

Yes the loading time is GREAT! Even the shut down time is awesome plus the Software app has tons of stuff one can download and try out all for free. I might keep Linux this time around, my fourth try.
give 10.04 a try. you will be astounded by how much an improvement it is over 9.10
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-10, 11:23 AM   #11
grey_1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Ubuntu 10.04

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomy942 View Post
give 10.04 a try. you will be astounded by how much an improvement it is over 9.10
In what ways zoomy?
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-10, 01:44 PM   #12
zoomy942
 
zoomy942's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bellevue, ID
Posts: 5,336
Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942
Default Re: Ubuntu 10.04

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
In what ways zoomy?
depending on your hardware, the boot time is amazing. my netbook boots in about 14 seconds. Also, the ease of hardware use is great too. i plugged in my vzw phone and it auto configured the connection for me. next, i plugged in my usb HP multi function printer and bam, it installed all the drivers (including the scanner) and it worked. no need to hit hp.com and install 130mb of drivers. next, the new theme adds a nice level of polish to an otherwise very ugly interface. face it - the brown sucked. next, the battery life has been great too, easily getting 6 hours or so of heavy usage. Also, flash doesnt run like crap anymore either. there are small interface changes that are welcome also..

lol - sorry for the rambling. its been a long morning.

EDIT - notice the new avatar Redeemed?
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.