Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > General Software

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-31-10, 03:08 PM   #1
Redeemed

Default Outlook

I do hate this program.

Often times, when a customer buys a new computer they'll get a "Platinum Setup Package", which includes transferring upto 10GB of documents from their old computer to the new one. And often times... they need us to transfer they contacts and saved messages from Outlook to the new computer.

Now, typically you have to go hunting down the older Outlook files and copy them to the new computer... but what if I took the hard drive out of their old computer and hooked it up to the new one- is there a way for Outlook 2007 to find their old contacts and saved messages and update/import them to the new version of Outlook?

I'm just curious if there's an easier way to do this is all.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-10, 03:20 PM   #2
lduguay
Un-Ripped

Default Re: Outlook

This is for Outlook 2003, but i believe the procedure is good for outlook 2007.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ou...166031033.aspx

Evga X58|I7 965 3.8GHz|Ultra 120 Extreme|Evga GTX 480 SC|2 x Intel X25-M 80GB RAID 0|Intel 520 - 240 GB|WD Black Caviar 1TB|6GB Corsair XMS3 1600C8 |Corsair 1000W PSU|Antec Twelve-Hundred|DELL U3011|Logitech G500|Logitech G19
lduguay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-10, 03:29 PM   #3
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lduguay View Post
This is for Outlook 2003, but i believe the procedure is good for outlook 2007.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ou...166031033.aspx
Yep, that's what I do everytime and I am able to move all my .pst's. Moved from XP to Vista to Win 7 on my work notebook, no issues.

You can move your contacts the same way as well but they need to understand that some information in their cache may be lost (i.e. auto-complete email addresses for some frequently contacted people).
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-10, 05:11 PM   #4
t3hl33td4rg0n
Dethklok Returns!

Send a message via AIM to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via MSN to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via Yahoo to t3hl33td4rg0n

Ive been using the same .pst file since outlook XP and I am currently using outlook 2010. No problems at all. The only thing that I have to do is fix the mailbox rules and re-setup the accounts. Only takes a few minutes.

Intel QX9650 @ 3.83GHzXFX 780ieVGA GTX 560Ti8GB GSkill DDR800Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium PCI-ESeagate 1.5TB . 4x Samsung 2TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTin View Post
....it's so clear how government makes things worse not better...
t3hl33td4rg0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-10, 06:02 PM   #5
anybody

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hl33td4rg0n View Post
Ive been using the same .pst file since outlook XP and I am currently using outlook 2010. No problems at all. The only thing that I have to do is fix the mailbox rules and re-setup the accounts. Only takes a few minutes.
Wow! This is EXACTLY what one should NOT do!

Outlook XP (2002) uses an old format of the PST database that is not fully unicode compliant and has SERIOUS problems once the size of the file approaches 2GB.

Doing what you are recommending here is asking for trouble.

When moving from Outlook XP or earlier to Outlook 2003/2007/2010 you should ALWAYS import the old .PST file instead of just placing it in the user's pst-storage folder.

If the file is already in the new (2003+) format, then importing is not necessary and not even recommended though. Just replace the small "empty" file of the new Outlook installation with the one from the old computer in the appropriate folder (C:\Users\$username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outloo k).
anybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-10, 06:52 PM   #6
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

As long as it is Outlook 2003 or 2007, just use the same PST file. If it's an OST then forget about it. If you are still using Office per-2003, you just need to use OpenOffice or something better. Office XP is a freaking joke and I hate dealing with it.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-10, 08:45 PM   #7
Redeemed

Well, his hard drive failed and so I had to go off of the .vcf and .iaf or whatever the extensions where that I managed to get onto his flash drive- got all his contacts and such but it took me a month of sundays.

I do despise the program.
Old 04-01-10, 08:24 AM   #8
Bearclaw

Outlook sucks. Also: Customers are ALWAYS stupid. There's a copy saved on your mail server, dummy.

Old 04-01-10, 11:50 AM   #9
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearclaw View Post
Outlook sucks. Also: Customers are ALWAYS stupid. There's a copy saved on your mail server, dummy.

Just can't 'splain it to 'em either. They MUST use Outlook or their e-mail wont work!!!

Old 04-01-10, 12:56 PM   #10
Bearclaw

Ya, I know. Creatures of habit.

I recently worked on a couples network and she said the internet stopped working because i installed a wireless printer.

Uhm.. No, no it didn't. The internet works fine.

Then they said the printer was broken.

Uhm... It wasn't turned on.

THEN, I asked her why she still logged in using AOL. (People still use that ****?!) She has comcast cable... and still logs in AOL to "check email" because she refuses to go to mail.aol.com or whatever the url is.

****ing idiots.
Old 04-01-10, 01:25 PM   #11
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearclaw View Post
Ya, I know. Creatures of habit.

I recently worked on a couples network and she said the internet stopped working because i installed a wireless printer.

Uhm.. No, no it didn't. The internet works fine.

Then they said the printer was broken.

Uhm... It wasn't turned on.

THEN, I asked her why she still logged in using AOL. (People still use that ****?!) She has comcast cable... and still logs in AOL to "check email" because she refuses to go to mail.aol.com or whatever the url is.

****ing idiots.
They just don't know any better. I agree- it's annoying as can be, and absolutely aggrevating at how they pay you to come over and fix stuff, but then argue with you about what the problem is as if they know better than you... I'm really tempted to tell them to pay me for what time I've spent there, and then fix the rest of the problem themselves, as they obviously know better than I since they're arguing with me.

Usually, I just shut my mouth and let them babble on about what they "know" the problem to be while I just keep clicking away doing what it is I need to do. Then, in the middle of their rant I calmly look at them and say "It's fixed, and this is how much you owe me" with a smile on my face.
Old 04-01-10, 01:39 PM   #12
Bearclaw

Ya. My client list is VERY limited and by referral only. These people are no longer on it, and the person that referred them, well, I charge him double now.