Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-01-10, 11:40 AM   #13
Redeemed

Default Re: HL2

Yeah, I'd have to say that no game rivals any of the HL games for me. I love these games, and enjoy them, far more than any other game.

I remember counting down the days till this was released. Didn't have enough money to buy it on launch, and purposefully stayed away from any thread that might have spoilers in it. Got the game as a Christmas gift and spent the entire next day or so playing it. I also remember that, at that time, this was the only game my brand-new GFFX 5950U couldn't run 100% maxed (including AA). I was blown away by the graphics.

Man that was a lot of fun. Really getting stoked about EP3.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-10, 03:37 PM   #14
LydianKnight
Registered Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed
this was the only game my brand-new GFFX 5950U couldn't run 100% maxed (including AA).
Yup, at that time, Valve developers were quite frustrated with NVIDIA as they had to code a specific codepath for their cards at the time, something they were complaining quite a lot, so ATI cards were heaven on earth at that time for HL2.

Times have changed, of course, but for your old card, it was quite 'normal' for you not to be able to max out the game, all NVIDIA cards of that generation were a pile of crap xD
LydianKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-10, 03:52 PM   #15
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LydianKnight View Post
Yup, at that time, Valve developers were quite frustrated with NVIDIA as they had to code a specific codepath for their cards at the time, something they were complaining quite a lot, so ATI cards were heaven on earth at that time for HL2.

Times have changed, of course, but for your old card, it was quite 'normal' for you not to be able to max out the game, all NVIDIA cards of that generation were a pile of crap xD
I know- but that was about the only DX9 game I had, besides Halo, back then. All my other games were DX8 or OpenGL and ran FANTASTIC on the 5950U... maxed.

However, I remember continually kicking my self in the rear for spending $405 on the card, shipped, when for a mere $30 more I could have had the 9800XT.
Old 04-01-10, 04:02 PM   #16
v3rninater
Blowin up since 1969

You all need to play HL2 with the fake factory mod, OMG, it's a totally new game, everything is a MILLION times better. It's amazing, that guy did a tremendous job making that mod!!!
Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 3.4ghz 1600fsb || Gigabyte P45 EP45-UD3R stable as a rooock! || 4gb G-Skill DDR2 PC8500 5-5-5-15 || EVGA 580-GTX 1.5gb || Creative Fatal1ty Xram Sound Card 7.1 ||G-Skill Phoenix Pro SSD 120gb|| WD BLACK 32mb cache 640gb HD || 2x Samsung DVD burner 16x DVD+\- || Corsair 620watt PSU
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit (640gb hd)

AMD Phenom II X6 T1090 || Gigabyte GA880 || 4gb G-skill Ripjaw DDR3 1600 || MSI 8800 Ultra o/c || WD BLACK 32mb cache 640gb HD || ASUS DVD Burner || XFX 750 watt PSU

LG 60" 1080p 600Hz Plasma HDTV 60PS11
Xbox 360
v3rninater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-10, 04:16 PM   #17
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by v3rninater View Post
You all need to play HL2 with the fake factory mod, OMG, it's a totally new game, everything is a MILLION times better. It's amazing, that guy did a tremendous job making that mod!!!
I tried loading it once- never could get it to work so I gave up.

That was quite some years ago though, so I imagine he's only improved it drastically since then. Maybe I'll give it ago.
Old 04-01-10, 05:00 PM   #18
wysiwyg

it never used to work for me but the latest one (version 10 i think) is amazingly good and stable too
wysiwyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-10, 06:55 PM   #19
JasonPC

Actually a great deal of the levels that were in the leaked build were in the final game, including some of the scenes in the video. They just went through a few changes that make them look a little bit unfamiliar.

I believe the intro with Barney, the sewer part with the manhacks, the gravity gun training level, some of ravenholm, and kleiner's lab, the beach level with the buggy and crane, and part the citizen level where you fight along side of the resistance were all in the leaked build in some shape or form. I seem to remember there was also talk of some system for ordering around the AI in your group which did not make it into the game except for the fact that people do follow you and heal you if they are medics.
JasonPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-10, 06:12 AM   #20
HiCZoK4

yes. there was go to\folow system default by "C" key. I think...
HiCZoK4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-10, 07:31 AM   #21
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearclaw View Post
Ya, I loved the unique levels. It seemed everyone had made a level and they were all great. What pissed me off though, was EVERYONE and their mother seemed to hack this game and it just made it crappy to play.
Yeah, this applies to several games out there I would have otherwise enjoyed. Pretty much turned me off MP altogether.

WRT the tentacle scene and some others I had seen Valve stated in an interview that coding the AI for that (to fit where they needed that thing in game) just proved to problematic at the time.

I personally was very disappointed in HL2, lol as everyone here knows, but enjoyed ep1. ep2 was much, much improved imho and am hoping Valve continues that trend with ep3 - or HL3, what ever they choose to release it as.

One thing that would be rather nice - a tidbit of reliable info regarding what year they plan on releasing it.
Old 04-03-10, 08:37 AM   #22
TheANIMAL

Half Nukem Episode Forever.
TheANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-10, 03:22 PM   #23
FastRedPonyCar
Resident Tire Destroyer

Send a message via AIM to FastRedPonyCar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
I tried loading it once- never could get it to work so I gave up.

That was quite some years ago though, so I imagine he's only improved it drastically since then. Maybe I'll give it ago.
It's the only way I'll play the game now. It's just SOOO much better. The graphics, way increased draw distance, high res textures and amazing music and since the updated version of CM10, the terrain is also more detailed.

It's an epic mod with an equally epic file size but totally worth it IMO.
4770k @ 4.45 ghz - ASUS Gryphon Mobo - 16 gigs Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 RAM - XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 H2o Cooling - EVGA GTX 680 @1325mhz - 128 gig Crucial RealSSD C300 - 150 gig Velociraptor +2.75 Terrabytes of WD Sata 3.0 storage - 910 watt PC P&C PSU - Corsair Obsidian 650D case

- Server -
Core I7 D0 revision 920 @ 3.75 ghz - ASUS P6T Deluxe - 12 Gigs Mushkin DDR3 1600 - Corsair HX 620 PSU - Noctua NH-U9B cooler - Coolermaster WaveMaster Case

- Laptop -
MSI 16F2-012
- i7 2630QM - GTX570m @ 750Mhz - 8 gigs HyperX 1866 - 120 gig OCZ Vertex 3 SSD- 750 gig Scorpio Black - BluRay - 95% Gamut Screen - IC Diamond goop
FastRedPonyCar is offline   Reply With Quote