Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA FreeBSD

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-02-10, 08:14 AM   #1
bnkarp

Default FreeBSD 8.0, Quadro FX 330, amd64?

Greetings, all.

I've just upgraded my FreeBSD desktop to 8.0-RELEASE-p2, and moved from x86 to amd64. The box's graphics card is a Quadro FX 330.

I now find that the beta amd64 driver doesn't support the Quadro FX 330, while the legacy driver doesn't compile on 8.0.

Am I correct in my sad conclusion that there is no driver that supports my combination of hardware and software?

Thanks very much,
Brad
bnkarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-10, 12:28 PM   #2
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: FreeBSD 8.0, Quadro FX 330, amd64?

The current legacy driver likely works on FreeBSD/i386 if the version check #error is commented out in ../src/nv-freebsd.h. The BETA driver's updated kernel-interface code and FreeBSD/amd64 support are likely to be back-ported to the legacy graphics driver branches at some point, but that probably won't happen for some time.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-10, 11:10 AM   #3
bnkarp

Thanks, Zander.

Just to check back in now that two months have elapsed: is there any chance the port of the legacy driver to amd64 might occur in the near future? I still find myself unable to use my Quadro FX 330 under FreeBSD/amd64 8.0, and I suspect there are non-trivial numbers of users in the same boat. (Also tried the nouveau driver from the ports collection, but it doesn't seem to be able to do dual-head correctly...)

One thing I haven't tried is comparing the newer amd64 driver source against the i386 version, and seeing how hard it would be to make analogous changes to the legacy driver myself. But if back-porting these changes into the legacy driver is part of Nvidia's plan already, I'd of course be grateful to benefit from Nvidia's effort!

Thanks,
Brad
bnkarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-10, 01:35 PM   #4
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

I'm not sure when the back-port will happen. Unfortunately, the scope of the work goes well beyond porting the changes to the open-source layer. For example, the updated drivers depend on infrastructure changes (build system, etc.) not currently present in the older branches, and back-porting them is a non-trivial amount of work. We are still planning on doing this work, but unfortunately, we're spread thin and there are numerous higher-priority items on our TODO lists. :/
zander is offline   Reply With Quote