Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-07-10, 01:26 PM   #133
Slytat

Default Re: Physx Games Coming out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
I've enjoyed the PhysX effects in Darkest of Days, Dark Void, Batman AA, Mirrors Edge, UT3, GRAW, Cryostasis, Warmonger, and Metro 2033. Why would I even consider cards that don't give me the flexibility to see all the eye candy available in the game?
It's imperceivable in Metro AFAIAC. I've played through it on both Nvidia and ATI and TBH, it was a better experience FPS wise on the 5870CF setup.

PhysX is awful in GRAW/GRAW2, it makes the game look worse.

Batman and Mirror's Edge I'll give you that PhysX does add some nice effects, but lets face it, PhysX is very limited in it's implementation and even more limited in what I would consider successful implementation.

Given Fermi's less than stellar paper launch, I don't think any dev will be running to write anything that favours Nvidia. I am usually a die hard Nvidia fan but even I have moved to ATI (and so have many people I know who would usually avoid ATI). Nvidia's consistently 'customer unfriendly' behaviour convinced me that it was time to give ATI another try.

Mafia 2 looks like another game where PhysX actually makes the environments look worse than they would without it. If that's what the release is going to look like, I hope there is an option to turn it off
Slytat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-10, 01:38 PM   #134
shadow001

Quote:
I didn't mean Stream is "non existent", I meant "it might as well be given the pitiful number of apps written for it.

I've heard of two now- hacking the Iphones, and a transcoder that barely works.

The point was, and is, that ATi tells people they have NVIDIA's features when in reality they either don't, won't, or have them in such limited fashion it doesn't matter.

I've enjoyed the PhysX effects in Darkest of Days, Dark Void, Batman AA, Mirrors Edge, UT3, GRAW, Cryostasis, Warmonger, and Metro 2033. Why would I even consider cards that don't give me the flexibility to see all the eye candy available in the game?

Likewise, I think shutter glasses with 120Hz LCDs or DLP is the biggest advance in 3d gaming since Glide. Why would I buy from a company that has left this up to other firms with no industry presence?

Five days until ATi's feature set looks like it's 5 years old. They didn't invest in advancing the gaming industry, now they're going to pay for that with lost revenues. NVIDIA has the brand recognition and dev relations going for them anyway, the only way ATi sold any 5870s is they had no competition. Look for a whooooooole lot of GTX470/480s to sell next week.

You said GP-GPU was a broken promise and didn't deliver,right here:

Quote:
ATi promised GPGPU, didn't deliver:
http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=745

Everything I said was true. ATi is the company of broken promises and vaporware

So stop doing damage control if you please.....The most you could have said is that ATI isn't shouting the capability for GP-GPU applications everytime they possibly can,but it does exist,and that's the bottom line.

As for GTX470 and GTX480 sales,judging by replies from forum members here and at other forums,i wouldn't predict them selling like hotcakes either,not for the relatively mild performance lead they have overall,even more so given the delays it's suffered and the power/heat/noise issues.

I spoke of this several months ago in fact.....When a company is dead silent on performance about an upcoming product that it knows it's late,it's 99% of time not a good thing.....Heck i've even heard some here postulate a theory that Nvidia is keeping a secret as late as possible not to warn ATI about the massive performance lead it'll have over the HD5870,and we all see how that one turned out.

They blew their launch window by 6 months+,and there's faster parts from ATI coming out soon,and the HD5970 remains the fastest single card on the market anyhow....That's the bottom line.
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-10, 01:42 PM   #135
Slytat

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow001 View Post
hotcakes
Ahhhh, the irony
Old 04-07-10, 01:43 PM   #136
shadow001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytat View Post
Ahhhh, the irony

I did that without even noticing it....
Old 04-07-10, 01:49 PM   #137
Rollo

I think they'll sell pretty well Shadow.
They're the second fastest single slot solution available, cost $200 or more less than 5970s, are pretty similar on noise, lack the 5970s microstutter, vsynch, triple buffering, and profile issues, but have the advantages of PhysX, 3d Vision, 3d Vision Surround, and CUDA apps.

Not to mention NVIDIA already has a 60%+ market share and they would sell based on brand name alone.

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-10, 01:52 PM   #138
Rollo

LOL
Feel free to keep imagining ATi is something other than a feature poor tech perennial follower who's done so badly in the last five years they actually had to sell their company.

To another company that's done so badly they been selling of their assets piece by piece.

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-10, 02:00 PM   #139
shadow001

Quote:
I think they'll sell pretty well Shadow.
They're the second fastest single slot solution available, cost $200 or more less than 5970s, are pretty similar on noise, lack the 5970s microstutter, vsynch, triple buffering, and profile issues, but have the advantages of PhysX, 3d Vision, 3d Vision Surround, and CUDA apps.

Not to mention NVIDIA already has a 60%+ market share and they would sell based on brand name alone.

For the hardcore Nvidia users that would never consider an ATI card anyhow,no matter how good they are,i'd agree,but the 200$ price difference between the HD5970 and the GTX480 has yet to be determined,as the suggested retail for the HD5970 is 599$,but nobody sells them at that recommened price set by ATI themselves,as they're selling fast even at 700$.

As for physX,you have sylat's opinion on the matter,and it says volumes really,and he was hoping to get his hands on a GTX480 as soon as it was released,with the expectation that it would be much faster than an HD5870 card,and maybe not that far behind the HD5970.

People are somewhat dissapointed in this launch,there's no way around that fact anymore.
Old 04-07-10, 02:02 PM   #140
rombat

Looks like some one has not learn their lesson of being banned.
I am surprised the mods have not take action yet.
rombat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-10, 02:04 PM   #141
shadow001

Quote:
LOL
Feel free to keep imagining ATi is something other than a feature poor tech perennial follower who's done so badly in the last five years they actually had to sell their company.

To another company that's done so badly they been selling of their assets piece by piece.

And despite that,for the last 2 odd years,ever since the HD4*** series and the now the HD5***,they've been a royal pain in Nvidia's side.

Let's see if they can make that 3 for 3 with the southern islands product being released later this year.
Old 04-07-10, 02:05 PM   #142
shadow001

Quote:
Originally Posted by rombat View Post
Looks like some one has not learn their lesson of being banned.
I am surprised the mods have not take action yet.

I'm not flaming anyone or baiting,and what i stated are facts,even if some don't like to hear it.
Old 04-07-10, 02:08 PM   #143
Slytat

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow001 View Post

As for physX,you have sylat's opinion on the matter,and it says volumes really,and he was hoping to get his hands on a GTX480 as soon as it was released,with the expectation that it would be much faster than an HD5870 card,and maybe not that far behind the HD5970.

People are somewhat dissapointed in this launch,there's no way around that fact anymore.
I was looking to buy 2 or more on the assumption (yes, I know all about assumption) that they would be significantly faster.

There is nothing to recommend Fermi at this point and I suspect my fears will be confirmed when it finally hits retail in any volume (whenever that is).

The lack of PhysX and 3D vision on ATI aren't issues for me (and you can use PhysX with ATI hardware if you so desire).
Old 04-07-10, 02:12 PM   #144
rombat

Oh I was not hinting on you shadow001, it is the other person who is calling you a big fanboy and the irony is that he is one of the biggest one I have seen, your just wasting your time, it is like talking to a brick wall.
rombat is offline   Reply With Quote