Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-04-10, 01:09 PM   #1
MikeC
Administrator

Thumbs up GeForce 480 GTX Antialiasing Image Quality

Just updated the "first look" article and wanted to share this information with you guys.

ANTIALIASING QUALITY

Did you know that differences between two images can be quantified and displayed? With The Compressonator, two images can be compared and their differences displayed. The tool has a zoom feature and differences can be intensified when they are difficult to identify.

Using one of my favorite antialiasing testing tools, FSAA Tester, a screenshot from each of the available antialiasing modes available on the GeForce GTX 480 was captured. Note that antialiasing was "forced" by selecting "Override any application setting" in the driver control panel.

An example of 16xQ antialiasing is provided below.

The Compressonator was then used to display their differences.

For example, the differences between 1x and 4x antialiasing are shown below.

Another example shows the differences between 4x and 16xQ antialiasing. In this comparison, the differences were difficult to see, so the intensity of the image was increased by 200%.

Antialiasing is a technique that gives edges a smoother-looking appearance. It is accomplished by comparing the color of adjacent pixels to the pixel that is being antialiased. The color of the pixel being antialiased may change as a result of the comparison.

The adjacent pixels that are compared are referred to as samples. The number of samples to use in the comparison, along with the sample pattern, will vary depending on the level of antialiasing being used.

The following screenshots can be used to conduct your own comparions with The Compressonator:

- 1x antialiasing
- 2x antialiasing
- 4x antialiasing
- 8x antialiasing
- 8xQ antialiasing
- 16x antialiasing
- 16xQ antialiasing
- 32x antialiasing

Have fun!
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-10, 03:42 PM   #2
vegtro

Default Re: GeForce 480 GTX Antialiasing Image Quality

8xQ and 16xQ seems to be broken links.
vegtro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-10, 09:39 PM   #3
Viral
Registered User of Women

I noticed a pretty big difference between 4x and 8x, granted it wouldn't be as noticable in a game besides shimmering but that usually comes from shader aliasing which is what SSAA is best at getting rid of.

16x AA isn't all that impressive, but 32x, nice, really fixes the thin lines down the bottom.

Acer TravelMate 4002WNLCi: Pentium M 725 @ 1.6GHz | Mobility Radeon 9700/64MB | 2GB DDR400 | 15.4" WXGA
Viral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-10, 11:40 PM   #4
MikeC
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegtro View Post
8xQ and 16xQ seems to be broken links.
Fixed. Sorry.
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-10, 12:41 PM   #5
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viral View Post
I noticed a pretty big difference between 4x and 8x, granted it wouldn't be as noticable in a game besides shimmering but that usually comes from shader aliasing which is what SSAA is best at getting rid of.

16x AA isn't all that impressive, but 32x, nice, really fixes the thin lines down the bottom.
This is what I use with my dual 8800GTXs @ 1680 x 1050. Only game that seems to not like the setting (that I happen to own) is Crysis. Every other game remains completely playable with max in-game settings and x32 SLi AA.

I am curious though- how does the GTX480's AA implementation compare to the 8800s? Are there any known articles that'd give a relatively decent comparison?
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote