Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-05-10, 08:17 AM   #1
3Nex

Question After following a tutorial, my graphic drivers still don't work, what did i do wrong?

Hey, I've just started using Fedora after 4 years of enjoying Ubuntu.

My attempt on getting the graphics driver was following this pretty detailed tutorial. There was one step where I managed to mess up pretty bad and now it won't boot, even to command line.

After I had initially completed the whole tutorial with no results, I came back to a step that I didn't understand well and as a result, I now have the cannot-boot situation. That step was this:

Quote:
NOTE: livna-config-display - To utilize the automatic switching between drivers for the X-server, either run:
livna-config-display
-OR- Edit (as root) /etc/sysconfig/livna-config-display
and change active = True.
What I don't understand is: Am I supposed to set active to True in case something else is in there, or am I supposed to find "active = True" and delete it (or set to False)?

The problem is that now I don't remember what I did anymore, cause running the livna-config-display command (also described in this step) brought up some GUI configuration editor and I was messing around with that too and I don't remember what I changed..

What is Livna anyway, do I need that on top of my nVidia drivers? Can I just remove that Livna thingy, and if so, how?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.
3Nex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-10, 08:43 AM   #2
TesterNv

Default Re: After following a tutorial, my graphic drivers still don't work, what did i do wr

The Nvidia drivers are not "officially" supported by Fedora.
Hence a 3rd party repackages them. That would be "RPMFusion". Livna is just the name that existed for the 3rd party before RPMFusion.

I doubt your problem has to do with the "livna-config-display" step. That step is probably unnecessary and/or inconsequential. Most likely the 'active' is already set to true. If it was not you can just edit that line.

Can you explain in further detail when you say "mess up pretty bad and now it won't boot, even to command line" ... what does this mean? What is on the screen? What actually occurs? Did it start something? Halt? Flash?

To get your computer in a bootable stage. When you boot grub, hit 'E' on a kernel and scroll to the end of the 'kernel' line and add '3'. Then 'ENTER', then 'B' to boot. This will take you to runlevel 3 text mode and prevent the X-server from loading.

Chances are you need an extra option in grub and/or something else is halting your computer. But there is no way to tell without further information.
TesterNv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-10, 10:31 AM   #3
3Nex

Default Re: After following a tutorial, my graphic drivers still don't work, what did i do wr

Quote:
Originally Posted by TesterNv View Post
Can you explain in further detail when you say "mess up pretty bad and now it won't boot, even to command line" ... what does this mean? What is on the screen? What actually occurs? Did it start something? Halt? Flash?
What DID happen is that the loading animation came to an end and then came the part where he would normally ask me for my password, but instead i got the black screen and that was all. But in the meantime i already installed a new Fedora cause i figured that was easier then trying to find out why that was happening.

So, that part is not an issue anymore and i'll just try to do the sequence again as soon as i can get the answer to why would that tutorial fail for me.. is there some command i can run that would provide you with information necessary to estimate what i'm lacking for this to work?

And thanks for clearing up what livna is
3Nex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-10, 12:33 PM   #4
Dizzle7677

I'd think you'd just install the nvidia binary like you always have. If the xserver isn't locking up ... once you get to the gdm/kdm(?) blank loginscreen go to TTY1- login and stop(or killall) gdm or kdm. And then you can install normally. Course if the kernel is built with nouveau support you'll have to blacklist it and the other drm,kms,etc modules before installing. If you install from a different kernel runlevel the nvid installer will complain but you can install nonetheless.
Dizzle7677 is offline   Reply With Quote