Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

View Poll Results: Are you going to buy new Geforce?
Yes, I'm buying GF480 34 26.15%
Yes, I'm buying GF470 15 11.54%
I will buy ATI 38 29.23%
NO! 43 33.08%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-13-10, 12:30 PM   #145
lduguay
Un-Ripped
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Montreal, Canaduh!
Posts: 1,968
Default Re: Are you going to buy Fermi?

^
My guess is that they are unaware of the fact that the CDN$ = US$ nowadays.
__________________

Evga X58|I7 965 3.8GHz|Ultra 120 Extreme|Evga GTX 480 SC|2 x Intel X25-M 80GB RAID 0|Intel 520 - 240 GB|WD Black Caviar 1TB|6GB Corsair XMS3 1600C8 |Corsair 1000W PSU|Antec Twelve-Hundred|DELL U3011|Logitech G500|Logitech G19
lduguay is offline  
Old 04-13-10, 12:35 PM   #146
brunner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 101
Default Re: Are you going to buy Fermi?

I really want to get a pair of 480GTXes but heat is a major concern. Even with my well ventilated Thermaltake Xaser VI, with 2x120mm fans and 1 140mm fan blowing at the videocards, heat will be a major concern during the summer in my room. In previous summers, august and september are often as hot as 90 to 100 degrees Fahrenheit. That's why I'm leaning towards keeping my 2x 5870s because I think that's pretty much the hottest combo that my PC can handle.
brunner is offline  
Old 04-13-10, 12:38 PM   #147
lduguay
Un-Ripped
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Montreal, Canaduh!
Posts: 1,968
Default Re: Are you going to buy Fermi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunner View Post
I really want to get a pair of 480GTXes but heat is a major concern. Even with my well ventilated Thermaltake Xaser VI, with 2x120mm fans and 1 140mm fan blowing at the videocards, heat will be a major concern during the summer in my room. In previous summers, august and september are often as hot as 90 to 100 degrees Fahrenheit. That's why I'm leaning towards keeping my 2x 5870s because I think that's pretty much the hottest combo that my PC can handle.

'nuff said
__________________

Evga X58|I7 965 3.8GHz|Ultra 120 Extreme|Evga GTX 480 SC|2 x Intel X25-M 80GB RAID 0|Intel 520 - 240 GB|WD Black Caviar 1TB|6GB Corsair XMS3 1600C8 |Corsair 1000W PSU|Antec Twelve-Hundred|DELL U3011|Logitech G500|Logitech G19
lduguay is offline  
Old 04-13-10, 12:56 PM   #148
brunner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 101
Default Re: Are you going to buy Fermi?

Electricity is expensive in SoCal, bro. Even with no AC, it's at least $200 every month. When I use AC just sparingly, it easily jumps to more than $300. That's why I tend to do my PC gaming in the late evenings during the summer.
brunner is offline  
Old 04-13-10, 01:16 PM   #149
Redeemed
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 17,982
Default Re: Are you going to buy Fermi?

In response to thread title-

No.
Redeemed is offline  
Old 04-13-10, 02:42 PM   #150
lduguay
Un-Ripped
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Montreal, Canaduh!
Posts: 1,968
Default Re: Are you going to buy Fermi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunner View Post
Electricity is expensive in SoCal, bro. Even with no AC, it's at least $200 every month. When I use AC just sparingly, it easily jumps to more than $300. That's why I tend to do my PC gaming in the late evenings during the summer.
Southern California Edison Energy Estimator
Ohhh come on brunner, according to this, a room AC (.5 ton) costs 25$/month of electricity.
Based on 8hr/day, 7 days a week usage.

The cost of electricity in SoCal is way cheaper than what you would pay in all New England.

Back to OP: Can't wait to see stock for the GTX 480, it reminds me unfamous 6800 Ultra paper launch.
__________________

Evga X58|I7 965 3.8GHz|Ultra 120 Extreme|Evga GTX 480 SC|2 x Intel X25-M 80GB RAID 0|Intel 520 - 240 GB|WD Black Caviar 1TB|6GB Corsair XMS3 1600C8 |Corsair 1000W PSU|Antec Twelve-Hundred|DELL U3011|Logitech G500|Logitech G19
lduguay is offline  
Old 04-13-10, 02:51 PM   #151
brunner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 101
Default Re: Are you going to buy Fermi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lduguay View Post
Southern California Edison Energy Estimator
Ohhh come on brunner, according to this, a room AC (.5 ton) costs 25$/month of electricity.
Based on 8hr/day, 7 days a week usage.

The cost of electricity in SoCal is way cheaper than what you would pay in all New England.

Back to OP: Can't wait to see stock for the GTX 480, it reminds me unfamous 6800 Ultra paper launch.
It depends on which tier you're at though. I don't have the chart in front of me but the rates are ridiculous once you pass a certain tier. It's like 5 times more per watt. That's why my bill jumps so high once I pass a certain level per month. I should mention that my bills are higher than average because I also own a pool and there are at least 3 computers turned on at any time.
brunner is offline  
Old 04-13-10, 03:16 PM   #152
lduguay
Un-Ripped
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Montreal, Canaduh!
Posts: 1,968
Default Re: Are you going to buy Fermi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunner View Post
It depends on which tier you're at though. I don't have the chart in front of me but the rates are ridiculous once you pass a certain tier. It's like 5 times more per watt. That's why my bill jumps so high once I pass a certain level per month. I should mention that my bills are higher than average because I also own a pool and there are at least 3 computers turned on at any time.
That would make a great water cooled setup, no need for a rad or A/C.
__________________

Evga X58|I7 965 3.8GHz|Ultra 120 Extreme|Evga GTX 480 SC|2 x Intel X25-M 80GB RAID 0|Intel 520 - 240 GB|WD Black Caviar 1TB|6GB Corsair XMS3 1600C8 |Corsair 1000W PSU|Antec Twelve-Hundred|DELL U3011|Logitech G500|Logitech G19
lduguay is offline  

Old 04-13-10, 03:30 PM   #153
MikeC
Administrator
 
MikeC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1997
Location: Virginia
Posts: 5,899
Default Re: Are you going to buy Fermi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpistol View Post
Why would anyone pay close to $700 for a single GPU card is way beyond me. I honestly think $500 is pushing it, but $700 is nothing short of thievery.
Agreed. For $700, you might be able to pick up something like this.

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/323...rd/index4.html

Oh my!
MikeC is offline  
Old 04-13-10, 03:46 PM   #154
brunner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 101
Default Re: Are you going to buy Fermi?

Isn't the 4gb 5970 $1000 though?
brunner is offline  
Old 04-13-10, 05:14 PM   #155
onmikesline
Registered User
 
onmikesline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: south florida
Posts: 887
Default Re: Are you going to buy Fermi?

if that graph is right then $1000 is worth it
onmikesline is offline  
Old 04-13-10, 05:37 PM   #156
JasonPC
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,103
Default Re: Are you going to buy Fermi?

They should have put it up against 480s in SLI since that would be around the same price.
JasonPC is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.