Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

View Poll Results: Are you going to buy new Geforce?
Yes, I'm buying GF480 34 26.15%
Yes, I'm buying GF470 15 11.54%
I will buy ATI 38 29.23%
NO! 43 33.08%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-14-10, 12:32 PM   #181
Slytat

Default Re: Are you going to buy Fermi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow001 View Post

given what we've seen so far,those that are insisting on getting these cards,is mostly because they're made by their favorite company,which is just as good a reason as any,but it isn't so much for the performance advantage they have over the competition,which was released 1/2 a year ago btw...

Doesn't matter Shadow, they're faster single gpu vs single gpu period. As well, I think alot of people are seeing through a lot of the viral bull**** that certain people put about. Judging by people's experiences here, the 'problems' were considerably exaggerated. Some people just want the single fastest GPU and you can harp on about heat, TDP, delays etc but the fact is, Nvidia holds the single gpu crown.

Sure, ATI will answer but until then .......
Old 04-14-10, 12:36 PM   #182
Bah!

Quote:
Well,given that i own a pair of HD5970's since last november,and that even on the stock coolers,they can still run at the same clocks as HD5870 cards do(850/1200),hence why i linked to water cooled versions of the same cards,so that clocks can go even higher still,while keeping temperatures in control and the overall system pretty quiet,and still much cheaper overall..

given what we've seen so far,those that are insisting on getting these cards,is mostly because they're made by their favorite company,which is just as good a reason as any,but it isn't so much for the performance advantage they have over the competition,which was released 1/2 a year ago btw...

I was talking about a pair of them btw,so it's still 4 GPU's versus 4 GPU's in the end.
It doesn't matter what you run them at, they won't ever be faster than the Quad-SLI. In fact, if you're that concerned about money, you could TriSLI watercooled 480's and beat two 5970's.
Old 04-14-10, 12:43 PM   #183
agentkay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytat View Post
Doesn't matter Shadow, they're faster single gpu vs single gpu period. As well, I think alot of people are seeing through a lot of the viral bull**** that certain people put about. Judging by people's experiences here, the 'problems' were considerably exaggerated. Some people just want the single fastest GPU and you can harp on about heat, TDP, delays etc but the fact is, Nvidia holds the single gpu crown.

Yea tell it like it is.

Intel I7-920 aircooled by Prolimatech Megahalems @ 3.8Ghz (200x19) | Gigabyte GA-X58-UD3R | OCZ Platinum 3x2GB DDR3-1600 RAM (7-7-7-24) @ 1600 | Gainward GTX 480 | WD Raptor 74GB + 150GB + Samsung 1TB | Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum | Corsair AX850 Gold | Coolermaster Stacker 830 silver | Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 | Logitech G15 keyboard | Logitech G25 Racing Wheel | Sharp LC-46 XL1E (gaming and work)
F CliffyB.
Old 04-14-10, 12:45 PM   #184
shadow001

Quote:
Doesn't matter Shadow, they're faster single gpu vs single gpu period.

As well, I think alot of people are seeing through a lot of the viral bull**** that certain people put about. Judging by people's experiences here, the 'problems' were considerably exaggerated.

Some people just want the single fastest GPU and you can harp on about heat, TDP, delays etc but the fact is, Nvidia holds the single gpu crown.

Faster in some games,about matched in several others given 1~2 Fps variations,and even lose a couple....Look up battlefield bad company 2 results for instance,which is a game i play often,and GTX 470/480 cards lose there by decent margins.

If that 10~15% performance lead was consistent across all games,but it isn't unfortunately,so it's harder to come to a conclusion of it being the performance leader overall....It can be,but depends on the game in question.

Here's the anandtech results on battlefield bad company 2,and even an HD 5850 card,costing not much over half the GTX480 goes for,still beats it:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2977/n...h-the-wait-/14

That's not the result i expect from a new performance leader to say the least:
Old 04-14-10, 12:47 PM   #185
shadow001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bah! View Post
It doesn't matter what you run them at, they won't ever be faster than the Quad-SLI. In fact, if you're that concerned about money, you could TriSLI watercooled 480's and beat two 5970's.

Look at the battlefield results and try to say that with a straight face.....Seriously.
Old 04-14-10, 12:51 PM   #186
Slytat

Quote:
Faster in some games,about matched in several others given 1~2 Fps variations,and even lose a couple....Look up battlefield bad company 2 results for instance,which is a game i play often,and GTX 470/480 cards lose there by decent margins.

If that 10~15% performance lead was consistent across all games,but it isn't unfortunately,so it's harder to come to a conclusion of it being the performance leader overall....It can be,but depends on the game in question.

Here's the anandtech results on battlefield bad company 2,and even an HD 5850 card,costing not much over half the GTX480 goes for,still beats it:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2977/n...h-the-wait-/14

That's not the result i expect from a new performance leader to say the least:
I'm not going to get into a stupid flame war with you. It would be nice if you could concede what every other reviewer has confirmed. The 480 is faster than the 5870 on average and from the SLI results I've seen, there are some fairly big differences that favour Nvidia. DX11 titles seem to favour the 480 series which you were using as an argument for ATI prior to the 480's release.

At the end of the day, you're not convincing enthusiasts not to buy Nvidia with any of the usual arguments. Most of us just like newer, faster tech and don't care who makes it. You've made it abundantly clear what camp you reside in and I don't reside in either camp. I like ATI and I like Nvidia, they both have their strengths and weaknesses, so I want the best of both worlds and refuse to practice any sort of brand loyalty.

Bring on the ATI refreshes, 6xxx series and whatever else Nvidia has on tap, it's ALL good
Old 04-14-10, 12:58 PM   #187
shadow001

Quote:
I'm not going to get into a stupid flame war with you. It would be nice if you could concede what every other reviewer has confirmed. The 480 is faster than the 5870 on average and from the SLI results I've seen, there are some fairly big differences that favour Nvidia. The Nvidia cards also heavily favour DX11 which you were using as an argument FOR ATI before the 480 was released.

At the end of the day, you're not convincing enthusiasts not to buy Nvidia with any of the usual arguments. Most of us just like newer, faster tech and don't care who makes it. You've made it abundantly clear what camp you reside in and I don't reside in either camp. I like ATI and I like Nividia, they both have their strengths and weaknesses so I want the best of both worlds and refuse to practice any sort of brand loyalty.

Bring on the ATI refreshes, 6xxx series and whatever else Nvidia has on tap. it's ALL good

And i play a lot of battlefield bad company2,and the results with that paarticular game are unanimous no matter which hardware site did the comparison between the HD5*** cards and the GTX470/480 ones.....That is one game owned by ATI,period.

I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything,as most websites clearly stated that the latest hardware release from Nvidia,wasn't the best one they've ever made,and that in overall terms,the performance lead it has,relative to the price premium it's asking for,even ignoring the other issues,is pretty debatable.

Like Guru3D stated,it's not the knockdown victory that some were hoping for basically.
Old 04-14-10, 01:22 PM   #188
brunner

I think you're both right. On one hard, it's not a clear-cut victory for NV because the 5870 isn't always slower. On the other, it's apparent that the 480 has more potential. There are quite a few games in which the 480 completely dominates the 5870 and almost matches a 5970. Also, the 480 scales much better with overclocking. If Nvidia is able to shrink the 480 architecture before AMD comes up with something new, then it'll be a no contest. But until then, it'll be pretty close with maybe a slight edge to Nvidia.

Old 04-14-10, 01:26 PM   #189
Slytat

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunner View Post
I think you're both right. On one hard, it's not a clear-cut victory for NV because the 5870 isn't always slower. On the other, it's apparent that the 480 has more potential. There are quite a few games in which the 480 completely dominates the 5870 and almost matches a 5970. Also, the 480 scales much better with overclocking. If Nvidia is able to shrink the 480 architecture before AMD comes up with something new, then it'll be a no contest. But until then, it'll be pretty close with maybe a slight edge to Nvidia.
They're both great cards but the 4xx will now embark on the same evolution via drivers that the 5xxx series did 6 months ago.

Like I said, if your objective, it's a win/win.
Old 04-14-10, 01:32 PM   #190
Xion X2

I don't usually agree with what Shadow posts here, but some of you are overreacting.

I don't understand how some of you guys are claiming that the heat issues with Fermi are "exaggerated." It'd be one thing if these were reported by just a few sites, but practically every site on the web has talked about it. It's a real issue. And when you look at the power consumption it makes sense. The card sucks 120w more than a 5870 under load. That additional wattage converts to additional heat. Perhaps the fan profile has been adjusted to help somewhat, but it still takes more effort to keep the GPU under its threshold. A lot more.

Will the heat keep one from enjoying the card? No, most of the time it won't as long as that person knows how to cool a case. But it's inaccurate to say it's a non-issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bah! View Post
you could TriSLI watercooled 480's and beat two 5970's.
And you could watercool two 5970s and either keep up or outpace tri 480s. Works both ways. These configurations are very close as they have been for the past generation when comparing quadfire to Tri-SLI.

As for quad-SLI 480s, nice to think about, but the only guys who should be bragging about this better have a 3D surround setup, because that's the only way you'll see any benefit from the 4th card. Otherwise, you're CPU limited like a *#&@*. In addition, they'd better have watercooling and two PSUs. The 480 in Kyle's testing consumed ~340w under load. 340w x 4 = 1,360w and that's not taking into account the rest of the components (CPU, drives, etc.) A 1500w PSU would be cutting it close.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Old 04-14-10, 01:37 PM   #191
Slytat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2 View Post
I don't understand how some of you guys are claiming that the heat issues with Fermi are "exaggerated." It'd be one thing if these were reported by just a few sites, but practically every site on the web has talked about it. It's a real issue. And when you look at the power consumption it makes sense. The card sucks 120w more than a 5870 under load. That additional wattage converts to additional heat. Perhaps the fan profile has been adjusted to help somewhat, but it still takes more effort to keep the GPU under its threshold. A lot more.

Will the heat keep one from enjoying the card? No, most of the time it won't as long as that person knows how to cool a case. But it's inaccurate to say it's a non-issue.
Judging by what the more reputable members here (and elsewhere) have posted concerning their first hand experiences with Fermi, the heat was exaggerated. The TDP is high but that never concerned me tbh. Obviously, it is a concern for some people. The ATI cards are more energy efficient and run cooler, there is no arguing that.
Old 04-14-10, 01:37 PM   #192
brunner

Quote:
They're both great cards but the 4xx will now embark on the same evolution via drivers that the 5xxx series did 6 months ago.

Like I said, if your objective, it's a win/win.

From my personal experience, drivers don't do much for performance significantly unless the videocard is obviously performing well below its potential, like less than or equal to a previous-gen GPU. In those cases, then it's mostly about fixing bugs rather than unleashing performance with the driver. I've found that for big game titles, most videocards would perform pretty much as fast at launch as they do one year after. New drivers usually just serve to fix rendering errors and updat multi-GPU profiles but in general, I've never seen significant performance boosts with new drivers. The performance boots might be measured in benchmarks but it's hardly ever visible in gameplay.
Closed Thread