Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

View Poll Results: Are you going to buy new Geforce?
Yes, I'm buying GF480 34 26.15%
Yes, I'm buying GF470 15 11.54%
I will buy ATI 38 29.23%
NO! 43 33.08%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-14-10, 01:39 PM   #193
shadow001

Default Re: Are you going to buy Fermi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytat View Post
They're both great cards but the 4xx will now embark on the same evolution via drivers that the 5xxx series did 6 months ago.

Like I said, if your objective, it's a win/win.

Isn't that assuming that ATI cranked all the performance it could out of the HD5*** though,which would be pretty premature to state that,since the latest 10.3 driver set also has decent speed increases for the HD4*** series of cards,and those are almost 2 years old now,so performance is always improving over time basically.

It's mostly who extracts more performance sooner at this point,as looking at it objectively,it's almost sure that Nvidia will have a new high end card coming out before the end of this year,as they're going to need it,since ATI is supposedly coming out with the soulthern islands series by then(just a rumor at this point of course).
Old 04-14-10, 01:41 PM   #194
Slytat

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunner View Post
From my personal experience, drivers don't do much for performance significantly unless the videocard is obviously performing well below its potential, like less than or equal to a previous-gen GPU. In those cases, then it's mostly about fixing bugs rather than unleashing performance with the driver. I've found that for big game titles, most videocards would perform pretty much as fast at launch as they do one year after. New drivers usually just serve to fix rendering errors and updat multi-GPU profiles but in general, I've never seen significant performance boosts with new drivers. The performance boots might be measured in benchmarks but it's hardly ever visible in gameplay.
Well, I'd disagree with that based on ATI's significant performance gains through better drivers over the past 6 months. Just today I got a new beta that solved the loading delays in BC2 on the 5870

You can grab them here if you are interested

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=319691
Old 04-14-10, 01:46 PM   #195
brunner

Quote:
Well, I'd disagree with that based on ATI's significant performance gains through better drivers over the past 6 months. Just today I got a new beta that solved the loading delays in BC2 on the 5870
But things like that are bugs. There should never have been a loading delay in the first place. When I'm talking about performance boosts, I meant actual performance boosts when the game is already working just fine. Like at least 10 fps in Metro 2033.
Old 04-14-10, 01:47 PM   #196
Slytat

Quote:
But things like that are bugs. There should never have been a loading delay in the first place. When I'm talking about performance boosts, I meant actual performance boosts when the game is already working just fine. Like at least 10 fps in Metro 2033.
There have been, there was a huge boost in DIRT 2 in one of the more recent drivers IIRC
Old 04-14-10, 01:57 PM   #197
shadow001

The main point is that had this card been released 6 months ago,it would have enjoyed it's stay as the overall single fastest GPU card much longer than it will now,at least that much is for sure,and the bottom line is that the HD5970 cards are still the fastest single video card on the market,and will remain so for the forseable future.

It might even remain there until ATI releases their updated cards later this year,as i don't see a dual GPU fermi card being released anytime soon,given the thermals and power use that the single GPU has already shown in these reviews....They'd need 28nm and that won't be ready till the first half of next year.
Old 04-14-10, 02:06 PM   #198
brunner

Also, keep in mind Nvidia's big edge in terms of developer support. That's about as important as actual hardware advantages.
Old 04-14-10, 02:18 PM   #199
Xion X2

Quote:
Judging by what the more reputable members here (and elsewhere) have posted concerning their first hand experiences with Fermi, the heat was exaggerated. The TDP is high but that never concerned me tbh. Obviously, it is a concern for some people. The ATI cards are more energy efficient and run cooler, there is no arguing that.
Yeah, but take into account that these people, only naturally, will want to justify their purchases. About the closest thing you can have to unbiased is an overall take from tens of review sites that have been posted since Fermi launched. And in just about every one they emphasize the power/heat problems. I think to claim that they all were wrong based on the feedback of a few buyers is far fetched to say the least.

480 is a good card. All I'm saying is let's stick to the facts and not blow sunshine up people's *#&@^&@ about its drawbacks. There are plenty of positives to dwell on like its overclock scaling, CUDA, 3D vision, etc. When you try to paint a pretty picture about its power consumption/heat it's like trying to dress up a pig.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Old 04-14-10, 02:20 PM   #200
shadow001

Quote:
Also, keep in mind Nvidia's big edge in terms of developer support. That's about as important as actual hardware advantages.

True,and it's a given that Nvidia will try it's best with developers to squeeze the best possible performance out of the GTX470/480 cards,but not to the expense of intentionally harming performance on competitors cards either,which no developer would even think of doing that no matter how much money is thrown his/her way.

And now we have this sucker coming out soon....Check the clocks on it btw,and there's also some performance numbers in the preview as well....

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/32...rd/index3.html

If Nvidia already has a tough fight ahead,well,it just became a lot harder with this version...

Old 04-14-10, 02:26 PM   #201
Slytat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2 View Post
Yeah, but take into account that these people, only naturally, will want to justify their purchases. About the closest thing you can have to unbiased is an overall take from tens of review sites that have been posted since Fermi launched. And in just about every one they emphasize the power/heat problems. I think to claim that they all were wrong based on the feedback of a few buyers is far fetched to say the least.

480 is a good card. All I'm saying is let's stick to the facts and not blow sunshine up people's *#&@^&@ about its drawbacks. There are plenty of positives to dwell on like its overclock scaling, CUDA, 3D vision, etc. When you try to paint a pretty picture about its power consumption/heat it's like trying to dress up a pig.
There are users on Nvnews (and elsewhere) who I do not believe would lie. Whether you choose to believe them or not is entirely up to you.

I'm not blowing sunshine anywhere. I've never claimed Nvidia's offerings are perfect and I've freely conceded the TDP is high. As far as the heat goes, I'll wait until I have my own cards in my own box before passing any final judgement but again, I am reassured by the experiences of end users here (and elsewhere).

Believe this, if I am getting 100c temps, I'll be the first person to admit it and post my experiences here and subsequently, I'll get attacked for a ****ty case, bad airflow etc etc.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't my friend
Old 04-14-10, 02:42 PM   #202
AthlonXP1800

For UK guys... Palit GTX 470 are in stock right now for 299 at Scan UK.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/1280M...-DVI-mini-HDMI
Intel Core i7 3770K, Corsair H80 liquid cooler with Noctua S12-1200 fan, ASUS P8Z77V with UEFI 2104, 16GB Samsung Green 30nm DDR3-RAM, Pioneer BDR-S09XLT 16x Blu-ray writer, Corsair AX850 PSU, Western Digital 2TB SATA3 hard drive, CanonScan LiDE 210 scanner, Microsoft Internet Keyboard, Microsoft Touch Explorer mouse, 32inch Sharp LC32LE600 LED TV, EVGA Geforce GTX 670 SC 4GB with Geforce 370.50 driver, 50Mb broadband Virgin Media VMDG480 Super Hub, Aspire Xplorer Midi Tower, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit.
Old 04-14-10, 02:54 PM   #203
shadow001

Here's a video for a Triple SLI GTX480 setup,using an Intel 980X CPU,while running the Heaven benchmark 2.0 at 1920*1200 with 8X AA and extreme tesselation mode,while at the same time,having power monitoring equipement hooked up while the benchmark is running.

We see it always north of 1000 watts,and hitting peaks of 1150 watts,so that pretty much proves that with a triple SLI setup,users would already need a 1500 watt power supply to drive that setup with some wiggle room left over for safety....1000 watt or even 1200 watt power supplies aren't enough for triple SLI,as the power supply would be running at the very limit of it's abilities.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=.../1/-GMJkVQiq5c

For Quad SLI,there's no single power supply on the market that could handle the load,and fit in a standard PC case,so it's a moot point.
Old 04-14-10, 02:56 PM   #204
Xion X2

I'm not calling you out specifically, Sly. I just see a growing contingent around here who seem to be trying to convince others that the documented, unbiased research that has been gathered as a whole from tens of review sites since Fermi's launch (and even the site owner, MikeC) is somehow flawed based on either their own experience or hunch. And, surprise-surprise, they're all 480 purchasers. And as a facts-based guy, I have problems with that. It has nothing to do with Nvidia or ATI, for the record. I'd have the same problem if some were doing this with ATI (which Shadow has often done and which I have openly disagreed with.)

You just can't get around the power usage and so in no way can the heat be "exaggerated" as it's a direct result of the power consumption. Every 480 that every guy out there puts in his box draws the same amount of power under the same circumstances. How a user decides to cool his case/card is an outside variable, but the core issue remains.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Closed Thread