Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-11-10, 10:29 PM   #229
Bman212121

Default Re: The Official SSD Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearclaw View Post
Doesn't even make sense is the funny part. Could so buy a raid controller and a few cheaper SSDs.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-10, 10:37 PM   #230
bob saget

Send a message via MSN to bob saget Send a message via Yahoo to bob saget

I sold an SSD i won at tweaktownforums. can i be in the club? I just needed the cash, and my western digital black is doing fine.
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-10, 12:11 PM   #231
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Besides switching to AHCI in BIOS, is there anything else I should know before installing Win7 on my new SSD on Tueesday?
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-10, 12:46 PM   #232
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Yeah read this thread. Everything is explained already, over and over and over again
But I don't wanna!!!!!!
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-10, 02:38 PM   #233
onmikesline

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
Besides switching to AHCI in BIOS, is there anything else I should know before installing Win7 on my new SSD on Tueesday?
yeah they last 133 years so it will out last you lol
onmikesline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-10, 11:12 AM   #234
JasonPC

Installed my SSD yesterday, but I had a hell of a time installing Windows with AHCI enabled.

Initially I disconnected all other drives except the SSD. But with AHCI enabled in the BIOS I got "Windows cannot be installed onto this Disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the Computer's BIOS menu" in the Windows installer. So I decided to switch to IDE mode and install, and that worked fine. But AHCI is pretty important for SSDs, so I tried the Windows 7 registry hack to enable the AHCI service and enabled AHCI in the bios. This ended up with boot errors.

Through a lot of trial and error, hair pulling, and screaming, four hours later I figured out what the cause of the problem was and how to work around it. Apparently the Intel Sata controller on my EVGA E758 motherboard has incompatibilities with the SSD's JMicron controller. So in IDE mode I booted into the SSD and moved the bootmgr to a mechanical drive that I hooked up. I then moved the SSD to the secondary JMicron sata controller on the motherboard and it worked like a charm.

Basically the system was not going to boot or the ssd was not going to be recognized in windows (if I was not booting from it) no matter what as long as it was in AHCI and the SSD was hooked up to the Intel sata ports. I hope a firmware update solves this incompatibility in the future but there's nothing on Western Digital's site for the drives as of now.

BUT even though there was much suffering involved I am very impressed with this drive even if it isn't as good as an Intel SSD. It's a huge improvement over my 7200 rpm drive. Windows updates installed in a flash and the system boots instantly. I was thinking the faster speeds would hardly be noticeable, but I was very wrong. Huge difference. Also my main goal of having a quiet boot drive was successful. No more thrashing sounds when booting up or installing updates.
JasonPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-10, 06:46 AM   #235
mcolbourn
Time waits for no man!

Talking Re: The Official SSD Club

Well I have just joined the SSD club with a Vertex 2 90GB drive.

All I can say was wow at the time it took to get windows and all my main applications installed. I don't think I could ever go back to a non SSD boot and Application drive.
Old 09-20-10, 08:26 AM   #236
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

they make 90gb ssds now?

Old 09-20-10, 08:39 AM   #237
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonPC View Post
Installed my SSD yesterday, but I had a hell of a time installing Windows with AHCI enabled.

Initially I disconnected all other drives except the SSD. But with AHCI enabled in the BIOS I got "Windows cannot be installed onto this Disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the Computer's BIOS menu" in the Windows installer. So I decided to switch to IDE mode and install, and that worked fine. But AHCI is pretty important for SSDs, so I tried the Windows 7 registry hack to enable the AHCI service and enabled AHCI in the bios. This ended up with boot errors.

Through a lot of trial and error, hair pulling, and screaming, four hours later I figured out what the cause of the problem was and how to work around it. Apparently the Intel Sata controller on my EVGA E758 motherboard has incompatibilities with the SSD's JMicron controller. So in IDE mode I booted into the SSD and moved the bootmgr to a mechanical drive that I hooked up. I then moved the SSD to the secondary JMicron sata controller on the motherboard and it worked like a charm.

Basically the system was not going to boot or the ssd was not going to be recognized in windows (if I was not booting from it) no matter what as long as it was in AHCI and the SSD was hooked up to the Intel sata ports. I hope a firmware update solves this incompatibility in the future but there's nothing on Western Digital's site for the drives as of now.

BUT even though there was much suffering involved I am very impressed with this drive even if it isn't as good as an Intel SSD. It's a huge improvement over my 7200 rpm drive. Windows updates installed in a flash and the system boots instantly. I was thinking the faster speeds would hardly be noticeable, but I was very wrong. Huge difference. Also my main goal of having a quiet boot drive was successful. No more thrashing sounds when booting up or installing updates.
not sure what your taking about, but I have EVGA EVGA E758 X58 3-Way Sli board and it it works perfectly fine with SSD on Intel SATA port 1. I have AHCI enabled in Bios for Intel and both Jmicron controllers.
Old 09-20-10, 11:56 AM   #238
mcolbourn
Time waits for no man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
they make 90gb ssds now?
yes they do now the model number is OCZSSD2-2VTXE90G
Old 09-21-10, 11:04 AM   #239
|MaguS|

Just got myself two OCZ 120GB SSDs.