Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-11-10, 10:32 AM   #325
grey_1

Default Re: The Official SSD Club

Looks like mine has degraded slightly according to ATTO.

From Sept 1st.

From this morning.

Not too far off and there may be margin for error, but the writes appear to have slowed down a bit. Not sure, but it still feels snappy as all heck.
Old 12-14-10, 02:23 PM   #326
lduguay
Un-Ripped

No degradation today, even with MS Security Essentials running
Intel X25-M G1 2 x 80GB in RAID 0 (Summer 2009)

I just bought a OCZ Vertex 2 Enhanced 60GB for my HTPC boot drive. Not bad considering I paid 95$. Still I am not a fan of OCZ products, gave me a lot of headaches with their memory, power supplies, and those stupid MIR's that are never honored.

Evga X58|I7 965 3.8GHz|Ultra 120 Extreme|Evga GTX 480 SC|2 x Intel X25-M 80GB RAID 0|Intel 520 - 240 GB|WD Black Caviar 1TB|6GB Corsair XMS3 1600C8 |Corsair 1000W PSU|Antec Twelve-Hundred|DELL U3011|Logitech G500|Logitech G19
lduguay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-10, 03:26 PM   #327
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lduguay View Post
No degradation today, even with MS Security Essentials running
Intel X25-M G1 2 x 80GB in RAID 0 (Summer 2009)

I just bought a OCZ Vertex 2 Enhanced 60GB for my HTPC boot drive. Not bad considering I paid 95$. Still I am not a fan of OCZ products, gave me a lot of headaches with their memory, power supplies, and those stupid MIR's that are never honored.
Holy carp...teach me how to get speeds like that, would ya?
Old 12-14-10, 03:29 PM   #328
lduguay
Un-Ripped

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
Holy carp...teach me how to get speeds like that, would ya?
Photochop

Seriously, see my sig, nothing special, 2 drives on the ICH10 sata ports in Raid 0.

Evga X58|I7 965 3.8GHz|Ultra 120 Extreme|Evga GTX 480 SC|2 x Intel X25-M 80GB RAID 0|Intel 520 - 240 GB|WD Black Caviar 1TB|6GB Corsair XMS3 1600C8 |Corsair 1000W PSU|Antec Twelve-Hundred|DELL U3011|Logitech G500|Logitech G19
Old 12-14-10, 03:32 PM   #329
grey_1

Quote:
Photochop

Seriously, see my sig, nothing special, 2 drives on the ICH10 sata ports in Raid 0.
Heh

*downloads gimp*

That's got to be due to the controller and chipset...I would think anyway.

Might have to go Intel next time around.
Old 12-14-10, 04:03 PM   #330
lduguay
Un-Ripped

Quote:
Heh

*downloads gimp suit*

That's got to be due to the controller and chipset...I would think anyway.

Might have to go Intel next time around.
fixed.

Dunno, SlaWter shows different numbers, might be the outdated HD Tune 2.55 version i'm using. I find hard to believe that my setup is spewing +1 GB/s on burst rate, it is technically not possible using SATA 2 ports.

Old 12-14-10, 04:16 PM   #331
grey_1

Quote:
fixed.

Dunno, SlaWter shows different numbers, might be the outdated HD Tune 2.55 version i'm using. I find hard to believe that my setup is spewing +1 GB/s on burst rate, it is technically not possible using SATA 2 ports.
oh that pic is just all kinds of wrong

That's the same version I used, just curious though, what do other utilities like ATTO show?
Old 12-14-10, 04:20 PM   #332
lduguay
Un-Ripped

Quote:
oh that pic is just all kinds of wrong

That's the same version I used, just curious though, what do other utilities like ATTO show?

Old 12-14-10, 04:24 PM   #333
lduguay
Un-Ripped

Yep, but writes are better on G2's

Old 12-15-10, 04:07 AM   #334
Redeemed

Gotta' question ya'll...

Okay, so if you check my sig I've already got two SSDs. The 30Gig is my boot drive, the 64Gig I use mostly for apps that'd benefit from the performance... think Oblivion, etc. Really not using the 64gig a whole lot.

My boot drive is nearly full... no user documents just typical windows clutter that builds over time. Defrag, indexing, caching- all that jazz is disabled. I could clean it all out and monitor it like crazy but I'd rather not. I'd rather have a boot drive thats far more than enough storage for the OS.

I'm also seeing the boot times and speeds of those running SSDs in RAID. I'd like to dabble with a RAID array my self... so my question is this...

Through a program at work, I could get an Intel 64GB SSD for virtually free. Really not interested in having another individual SSD in my rig. So, could I RAID the Intel SSD with my Kingston? Or is it kinda' like early SLi where the "cards" (in this case SSDs) have to be identical? Never had a RAID array before so it'd be cool to try out I think.

It is a limited time offer, but I got till... middle next month I think... to make a decision. Would ya'll suggest it?
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-10, 02:19 PM   #335
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Redeemed, as always with RAID arrays, it's recommended to use identical drives. It's possible to use similar disks but the whole array gets downgraded to the level of the slowest/smallest disk. This goes even for simple arrays like RAID 0.

I haven't tried this personally with SSDs but I'd say that's also valid for SSDs and it might be even more critical with SSDs. Once you use different SSD controllers, things might get a little unpredictable especially when there is redundancy calculations involved in other RAID types.

And in general, I can't wait to go back to a single SSD system with no RAID involved. I haven't noticed a performance difference in every day tasks between a single SSD (Intel G1) and a RAID 0 array (Intel G2s). I'd much rather have a working TRIM solution and another usable SATA Port. Besides, since the Sandforce days, RAID is not really needed anymore to boost sequential reads and writes. So once the next-gen SF disks are available, I'm going back to a single SSD.

What 64GB Intel SSD are you referring to btw, X25-E?
Thanks Slawter. It's through Intel's Retail Edge program for Retail employees. They don't say what model the drive is so I'm not certain. However, it's "cost" just went up to over 20k chips. I could still get it as I've got near 25k but then I'd not be eligible for other stuff. Probably gonna' pass on it.
Old 12-15-10, 02:42 PM   #336
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Well I don't know how that "chip currency" is calculated but if it's a X25-E at a good price (with discount), then go for it! Those are SLC Enterprise SSDs!
That's the only 64GB SSD Intel officially sells.
Hmm... thinking about it but it's not like I need it. Guess it would be neat to have, could use it to replace my 30GB as the OS drive at least. There's a Q9550 + mobo combo going for only 25 chips right now. These are "auction" items so the "chip price" may go up at any time.

Oh... how it works is you have to read up on intel products, take quizes. When you pass you earn "chips" that you can spend on stuff like this. Kinda' cool program. It's how I got my mobo + cpu in my sig, plus my copy of Vista Ultimate and Windows 7 Ultimate.

I'm gonna' think about it, I still have time to bid.