Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-10-10, 04:11 PM   #1
siddly
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: West Midlands, UK
Posts: 125
Default 195.36.15 x86_64 error with 8600GT

Fails also with "-ignoreABI" in /etc/X11/xserverrc.
openSUSE 11.3 Milestone 4 with vanilla kernel 2.6.34-rc3-git10 and ealier 2.6.34-rc3-git kernels. I shall try building without nouveau and kms.

[ 19951.163] (==) Matched nvidia as autoconfigured driver 0
[ 19951.163] (==) Matched nouveau as autoconfigured driver 1
[ 19951.163] (==) Matched nv as autoconfigured driver 2
[ 19951.163] (==) Matched fbdev as autoconfigured driver 3
[ 19951.163] (==) Matched vesa as autoconfigured driver 4
[ 19951.163] (==) Assigned the driver to the xf86ConfigLayout
[ 19951.163] (II) LoadModule: "nvidia"
[ 19951.163] (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.so
[ 19951.164] (II) Module nvidia: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
[ 19951.164] compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.0
[ 19951.164] Module class: X.Org Video Driver
[ 19951.164] ================ WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING ================
[ 19951.164] This server has a video driver ABI version of 7.0 that this
driver does not officially support. Please check
http://www.nvidia.com/ for driver updates or downgrade to an X
server with a supported driver ABI.
[ 19951.164] ================================================== ===============
[ 19951.164] (EE) NVIDIA: Use the -ignoreABI option to override this check.
[ 19951.164] (II) UnloadModule: "nvidia"
[ 19951.164] (II) Unloading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.so
[ 19951.164] (EE) Failed to load module "nvidia" (module requirement mismatch, 0)
siddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-10, 07:35 PM   #2
leigh123linux
Registered User
 
leigh123linux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 163
Default Re: 195.36.15 x86_64 error with 8600GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddly View Post
Fails also with "-ignoreABI" in /etc/X11/xserverrc.
openSUSE 11.3 Milestone 4 with vanilla kernel 2.6.34-rc3-git10 and ealier 2.6.34-rc3-git kernels. I shall try building without nouveau and kms.

[ 19951.163] (==) Matched nvidia as autoconfigured driver 0
[ 19951.163] (==) Matched nouveau as autoconfigured driver 1
[ 19951.163] (==) Matched nv as autoconfigured driver 2
[ 19951.163] (==) Matched fbdev as autoconfigured driver 3
[ 19951.163] (==) Matched vesa as autoconfigured driver 4
[ 19951.163] (==) Assigned the driver to the xf86ConfigLayout
[ 19951.163] (II) LoadModule: "nvidia"
[ 19951.163] (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.so
[ 19951.164] (II) Module nvidia: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
[ 19951.164] compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.0
[ 19951.164] Module class: X.Org Video Driver
[ 19951.164] ================ WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING ================
[ 19951.164] This server has a video driver ABI version of 7.0 that this
driver does not officially support. Please check
http://www.nvidia.com/ for driver updates or downgrade to an X
server with a supported driver ABI.
[ 19951.164]
================================================== ===============
[ 19951.164] (EE) NVIDIA: Use the -ignoreABI option to override this check.
[ 19951.164] (II) UnloadModule: "nvidia"
[ 19951.164] (II) Unloading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.so
[ 19951.164] (EE) Failed to load module "nvidia" (module requirement mismatch, 0)


Xorg 1.8 isn't supported yet so you will need to override it

i.e edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf


Code:
# Xorg configuration created by livna-config-display

Section "Files"
	ModulePath   "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia"
	ModulePath   "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
	Option	    "IgnoreABI" "true"
	Option	    "AIGLX" "on"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier  "Videocard0"
	Driver      "nvidia"
	Option	    "Coolbits" "1"
	Option	    "DPI" "96x96"
	Option	    "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
	Option	    "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection
leigh123linux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-10, 12:23 AM   #3
Dizzle7677
Registered User
 
Dizzle7677's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Relativity
Posts: 194
Default Re: 195.36.15 x86_64 error with 8600GT

Quote:
I shall try building without nouveau and kms
Unselect DRM under Graphics and the vgaarb also when you rebuild the kernel. You won't need em.
Dizzle7677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-10, 03:01 AM   #4
damentz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 59
Default Re: 195.36.15 x86_64 error with 8600GT

Quote:
Unselect DRM under Graphics and the vgaarb also when you rebuild the kernel. You won't need em.
Siddly only needs to boot with the nomodeset parameter to avoid loading the nouveau module. But yes, the long way would be to rebuild the kernel without it so it's impossible to load.

Unfortunately, that's not the problem, as leigh123linux noted in is post. The "IgnoreABI" option needs to be enabled in xorg.conf. Remember though, X may still crash and burn if the ABI it's using has changed something critical. At that point, the nvidia devs need to update their drivers to conform to the new ABI.
damentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-10, 12:53 AM   #5
Dizzle7677
Registered User
 
Dizzle7677's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Relativity
Posts: 194
Default Re: 195.36.15 x86_64 error with 8600GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by damentz View Post
Remember though, X may still crash and burn if the ABI it's using has changed something critical. At that point, the nvidia devs need to update their drivers to conform to the new ABI.
Really? I've been using Xorg-git since 1.7(ubu 9.10) and haven't had a problem. If there was I would have found it by now. Kernel updates seem to be more problematic then Xorg ABI revisions (in spite of xserver's complaints) . I've come to realize AaronP and the crew are pretty well on top of things.

In case people need a refresher course on what ABI means ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Applica...nary_Interface
Dizzle7677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-10, 09:29 PM   #6
siddly
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: West Midlands, UK
Posts: 125
Default Re: 195.36.15 x86_64 error with 8600GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh123linux View Post
Xorg 1.8 isn't supported yet so you will need to override it

i.e edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf


Code:
# Xorg configuration created by livna-config-display

Section "Files"
	ModulePath   "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia"
	ModulePath   "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
	Option	    "IgnoreABI" "true"
	Option	    "AIGLX" "on"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier  "Videocard0"
	Driver      "nvidia"
	Option	    "Coolbits" "1"
	Option	    "DPI" "96x96"
	Option	    "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
	Option	    "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection
I had -ignoreABI in /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc but that didn't work.
test "$DISPLAYMANAGER_XSERVER_TCP_PORT_6000_OPEN" != "yes" && \
args="$args -ignoreABI -nolisten tcp"

In xorg.conf it works.
Thanks.
siddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.