Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-12-10, 07:50 AM   #1
Trancelover

Default nVidia and AMD-PC gaming

I wanted to start a discussion and ask whether as of late, nVidia and ATi have done anything great to PC gaming? I mean in terms of promotion and all the hit and criticism that PC gaming has had over the years. We are now seeing the PC gaming moving towards the snooze fest MMO field.

Have they(nVidia and ATi) done much to improve the state of PC gaming?
I don't think so. Why? Because they don't seem to sell their cards at affordable price. The ones that are affordable, are the ones that play crap at high resolution.

Lets look at DX11 shall we.All this DX11 nonsense coming about. I personally am not moving to DX11 hype because, its pure marketing bull. Tessellation is hardly worth justifying spending 500 dollar after a GPU.

My forecast about DX11 is exactly the same as DX10, no one is going to give a s**** about it. Sure you will get indie developers making game engine blah blah blah however, PC will continue to get crummy ports which all PC gamers will get is better resolution which is hardly worth blowing 500+ dollars after a GPU. We all remember the DX10 Bullocks yea? The fact of the matter is DX10 was nothing more than marketing Bull. Its a copy of DX9 nothing more nothing less. IT didn't improve the efficiency of coding nor did it improve the quality of the graphics significantly.

Looking at lifespan of the 360/PS3 my guess is until 2015 and even after then we will get ports. PC gaming is being watered down so much that the game developers are selling for masses.

nVidia and ATi are hardly doing much to improve the situation. Just have a look at Chris Taylor he is making an RTS for freaking consoles for * sake.And there is the retarded PC gaming alliance which is practically living in dreamland atm.
Trancelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-10, 09:04 AM   #2
Airbrushkid

Default Re: nVidia and AMD-PC gaming

The fruit farm has open the gates again.
Intel Q9550 l eVGA NForce 780i SLI FTW l 2 Palit GTX 560 Ti 2 GB SLI l Corsair Dominator 8 gig PC2-8500 l 2 - Intel X-25M 80 gb SSD Raid 0 l WD 1 -2TB & 2 -1TB l On board sound l Antec TruePower Quattro TPQ-1200 1200W l Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit l 3 X Dell E248WFP 24" Monitors
Airbrushkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-10, 09:08 AM   #3
Bearclaw

...kevpla.

Old 04-12-10, 09:17 AM   #4
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

People want everything free. The ATI cards are affordably priced.

DX 11 is shaping up to be DX10 part 2. Luckily Windows 7 isn't Vista II.

Selling a few thousand ports to the PC crowd has gotten popular.

Its not ATI or Nvidia's fault. Game devs are greedy scumbags and they'd rather put out a console game for $60.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-10, 09:24 AM   #5
Revs

I wouldn't say DX11 is like DX10. I'm quite enjoying the benefits DX11 brings to the table. As for not being affordable; ATi are amazing value. When was the last time you could get a high-end card for just over 200??
Revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-10, 09:34 AM   #6
Logical

DX7 was awesome...DX8 was not, DX9 was awesome..DX10 was not DX11 will be awesome..

You see the pattern ? DX11 will be around for quite a while me thinks and more than likley the next gen consoles will be based upon DX11 GPU's.

Sloppy ports you say?
Most ports that derive from PS3 and X360 are much better on the PC version, its only lazy developers such as Aspyr that make lazy ports.

Methinks you are still playing super mario world on the SNES am i far off >?
Logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-10, 10:05 AM   #7
Yaboze

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
People want everything free. The ATI cards are affordably priced.

DX 11 is shaping up to be DX10 part 2. Luckily Windows 7 isn't Vista II.

Selling a few thousand ports to the PC crowd has gotten popular.

Its not ATI or Nvidia's fault. Game devs are greedy scumbags and they'd rather put out a console game for $60.
+1

The ATI cards are priced reasonably, keep in mind these are enthusiast cards. I'd even consider a 5850 an enthusiast card. The thing many fail to realize is that most games out there run fine on a GTX 260 or even a AMD 4870. Seriously. You don't need these new cards to run most games out there that are popular. Most games are still DX9, which is the best DX9 still to this date. These expensive cards are for people that want to run at high framerates, at high resolutions with lots of details turned up.

Last edited by Yaboze; 04-12-10 at 11:57 AM. Reason: EDIT: Type
Yaboze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-10, 11:23 AM   #8
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!

Send a message via AIM to Madpistol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaboze View Post
+1

The ATI cards are priced reasonably, keep in mind these are enthusiast cards. I'd even consider a 5850 an enthusiast card. The thing many fail to realize is that most games out there run fine on a GTX 260 or even a AMD 4870. Seriously. You don't need these new cards to run most games out there that are popular. Most games are still DX9, which is the best DX9 still to this date. These expensive cards for people that want to run at high framerates, at high resolutions with lots of details turned up.
This is totally true.

Now @ Trancelover...

I think it's unfair that you criticize Nvidia and ATI for being too expensive. The thing you fail to realize is that GPU's are unbelievably more complex than they used to be, even just 6 to 8 years back. There was a day when GPU's didn't require anything more than a small heatsink for cooling. Nowadays, a lot of GPU's have cooling solutions that cover the entire card. Do you think that's by mistake? It's called progress and pushing the envelope of what's physically possible. Just 10 years ago, they were still developing the core technology of GPUs, but now that the technology is firmly cemented in the industry, we now have absolute powerhouse GPUs that are capable of way more than just producing pretty images on a screen.

I don't want to hear about overpriced video cards either. The consumer choses to pay those prices. There are cheaper cards on the market... You can get a DX11 part from ATI for $50, which is the price of a new video game. It's not going to be even remotely comparable to a card that costs $400, but it will do what it's supposed to do. Also, just a few years back, I remember when the Geforce 8800 GTX first hit the market. I snaged one for $600. 3 months ago, I picked up a Radeon HD 5870 for just under $400. To put it in perspective, the Radeon HD 5870 is well over twice as powerful as the 8800 GTX. Of course, ATI is still making a profit from consumers at this pricepoint, but so what? They made a great product, and they deserve to make a buck or two. They can't give these cards away for free... that defeats the point of a free market economy.

Bottom line: If you don't like what GPU companies like Nvidia and ATI are doing, don't buy their products. However, blaming them for the lull in the gaming market is bull****. That's the developers' faults. Nvidia and ATI are giving them the tools they need. If anything, the developers just aren't using them.

I hate tools that don't know what the hell they're talking about.
/rant

MadPistol's Rig

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (RB-C3) @ 4Ghz, 1.425 Vcore, 1.25V NB VID
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan)
Gigabyte UD3H AM3 790GX motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 5870
PNY XLR8 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality Titanium
OCZ Vertex II 120GB SSD (OS drive)
Western Digital 500GB Caviar (black)
Western Digital 640GB Blue
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech MX performance mouse
Logitech G15 keyboard
Corsair HX 750-watt Modular PSU
Antec Nine Hundred case
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
ASUS MK241 24" LCD
ACER X241W 24" LCD - RIP
Madpistol is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-10, 11:41 AM   #9
Ywap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trancelover View Post
all PC gamers will get is better resolution.
The framerate man! Its all about the framerate.

30 fps with motion blur is unplayable in most games and unacceptable for interactive entertainment.
Old 04-12-10, 11:51 AM   #10
Maverick123w

Send a message via AIM to Maverick123w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpistol View Post
This is totally true.

Now @ Trancelover...

I think it's unfair that you criticize Nvidia and ATI for being too expensive. The thing you fail to realize is that GPU's are unbelievably more complex than they used to be, even just 6 to 8 years back. There was a day when GPU's didn't require anything more than a small heatsink for cooling. Nowadays, a lot of GPU's have cooling solutions that cover the entire card. Do you think that's by mistake? It's called progress and pushing the envelope of what's physically possible. Just 10 years ago, they were still developing the core technology of GPUs, but now that the technology is firmly cemented in the industry, we now have absolute powerhouse GPUs that are capable of way more than just producing pretty images on a screen.

I don't want to hear about overpriced video cards either. The consumer choses to pay those prices. There are cheaper cards on the market... You can get a DX11 part from ATI for $50, which is the price of a new video game. It's not going to be even remotely comparable to a card that costs $400, but it will do what it's supposed to do. Also, just a few years back, I remember when the Geforce 8800 GTX first hit the market. I snaged one for $600. 3 months ago, I picked up a Radeon HD 5870 for just under $400. To put it in perspective, the Radeon HD 5870 is well over twice as powerful as the 8800 GTX. Of course, ATI is still making a profit from consumers at this pricepoint, but so what? They made a great product, and they deserve to make a buck or two. They can't give these cards away for free... that defeats the point of a free market economy.

Bottom line: If you don't like what GPU companies like Nvidia and ATI are doing, don't buy their products. However, blaming them for the lull in the gaming market is bull****. That's the developers' faults. Nvidia and ATI are giving them the tools they need. If anything, the developers just aren't using them.

I hate tools that don't know what the hell they're talking about.
/rant
+1 Well Said
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-10, 11:56 AM   #11
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearclaw View Post
...kevpla.

maybe
Old 04-12-10, 12:04 PM   #12
jolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
publishers are greedy scumbags and they'd rather put out a console game for $60.
fixed.