Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows 7

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-14-10, 08:55 AM   #1
tornadog
Keeper of the Faith

Default Hard drive reporting failure

I am getting this message for the last few days saying my primary hard drive is reporting failure, and it prompts me to backup. I keep ignoring the error, and everything works fine. The drive is about 3 months old, Seagate 1.5TB SATA drive. I checked the firmware and its not the problematic seagate drives but a newer batch. Should I replace it anyway?
Old 04-14-10, 12:32 PM   #2
frenchy2k1

Default Re: Hard drive reporting failure

This is a SMART message.
SMART is a protocol that stores and reports several parameters for a HDD. When some of those parameters pass a pre-defined limit, you will get those messages, as the drive is judge risky.

Although your drive could continue working for a long while, I would advise to follow the message and at least backup the data you have on it (anyway, it is ALWAYS a good idea to backup data on HDD). You can get software like speedfan to check the SMART parameters.

It could be as simple as a bad SATA cable and too many transmission error or a mounting number of bad sector. Never trusts HDDs to live too long anyway (although 3 months is awfully short). At worst, backup the data, test the drive with the seagate utility and if reported faulty, RMA it.
Old 04-14-10, 04:45 PM   #3
tornadog
Keeper of the Faith

i tried using the seatools for windows, but it crashes with stxcon.exe stopped working error. I will check with speedfan to see the drive's SMART parameters. the drive only has my windows drive, and another partition where 2-3 games are installed. so not a big deal of loss if the drive goes out. About 1.2TB is free

Update: the sector reallocation count has exceeded past threshold. These seems to be a recurring problem with the seagate 1.5TB drives. Probably gonna have to RMA this sucker
Old 04-15-10, 12:43 PM   #4
frenchy2k1

I have a seagate 1.5TB and it runs without any problem so far, but they have been plagued with problems indeed.

Try to run the software on the boot CD that came with it. It directly boots on that CD and lets you test your seagate/maxtor HDDs. This will be necessary for the RMA.
Old 04-19-10, 12:03 PM   #5
tornadog
Keeper of the Faith

well good news or rather bad news, the drive is now totally dead. getting unmountable boot volume error when windows loads. I tried using an external usb adaptor to see if I can at least open up the partitions, but no go. It shows up in diskmanagment but as empty drives and I cant format, delete volume or anything with it.
Old 04-19-10, 06:37 PM   #6
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

Its a good thing to know S.M.A.R.T. is actually good for something then, I havn't seen any smart errors pop up in windows yet and one of my older drives exhibited some resetting and shut down mid operation problems and nothing ever poped up.

Time to go after the warentee on that drive.
Old 04-20-10, 07:43 PM   #7
onmikesline

i been running my samsung hard drives for over 7 years how, never turned off with out errors, i always had good luck with them, i end up replacing Maxtors more then anything before seagate took over, but it seems i been replacing seagates alot to. WD is junk. I work for Toshiba, fixing copiers and i go thru HDD like crazy.i cant wait till they have SSD on them
onmikesline is offline   Reply With Quote