Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-23-10, 12:29 PM   #1
haiduced

Default Fedora Core 12 won't boot after installing NVidia drivers and disabling nouveau

Problem: The Fedora bootsplash was replaced by a plaintext progress bar, which went partway and then stopped. The system was unresponsive to keyboard or network input.

Installation steps taken: The nvidia installer ran successfully, and then I appended rdblacklist=nouveau to my grub.conf to disable nouveau drivers and also ran dracon. I ran 'setsebool -P allow_execstack on' per instructions I'd seen that SELinux would otherwise block the nvidia driver loading.

The attached nvidia-bug-report.log.gz was run after reverting to nouveau, since the kernel wouldn't boot with nvidia enabled.

John Haiducek
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (42.8 KB, 99 views)

Last edited by haiduced; 04-23-10 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Added missing attachment
haiduced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-10, 04:06 PM   #2
Dragoran

Default Re: Fedora Core 12 won't boot after installing NVidia drivers and disabling nouveau

Does passing intel_iommu=off to the kernel help?
Dragoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-10, 04:16 PM   #3
haiduced

Default Re: Fedora Core 12 won't boot after installing NVidia drivers and disabling nouveau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoran View Post
Does passing intel_iommu=off to the kernel help?
No, same result with that option.
Old 04-23-10, 05:00 PM   #4
haiduced

Someone told me that the nvidia drivers don't work on Fedora Core 12 because its kernel is too new and not yet supported by nvidia. Is that true? How can I find out which kernel versions are supported?
Old 04-23-10, 05:15 PM   #5
Dragoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiduced View Post
Someone told me that the nvidia drivers don't work on Fedora Core 12 because its kernel is too new and not yet supported by nvidia. Is that true? How can I find out which kernel versions are supported?
Thats wrong ... I am running the driver on F12 just fine ...
Dragoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-10, 11:39 PM   #6
Dizzle7677

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiduced View Post
You could try doing an 'lsmod' and a modprobe -r (whatever module) from tty1(after shutting down kdm/gdm) and then try the installer/nvidia-xconfig. I'm not familiar with how Fedora does things but there has to be a way to blacklist modules from loading such as /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf as in Ubu.
Dizzle7677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-10, 10:34 AM   #7
quyetnd

Did you try rebuild boot image ?
# dracut -f /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img $(uname -r)
Update:
And it looks like you didn't update your xorg.conf. nvidia-xconfig should help.
quyetnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-10, 09:42 AM   #8
haiduced

Quote:
Originally Posted by quyetnd View Post
Did you try rebuild boot image ?
# dracut -f /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img $(uname -r)
Update:
And it looks like you didn't update your xorg.conf. nvidia-xconfig should help.
Yes, I rebuilt the boot image, and the new boot image did not work.

My xorg.conf is fine. I reverted back to the old xorg.conf so I could use X11 in the meantime while I figure out why the kernel won't boot with the nvidia module loaded.

Old 04-26-10, 11:19 AM   #9
haiduced

I tried blacklisting both nvidia and nouveau, which as I understand it should cause the system to fall back on the vesa driver. It boots to a blank screen and becomes unresponsive.
Old 04-26-10, 11:28 AM   #10
haiduced

Update: I noticed that the nvidia.ko file, unlike all the other modules, had its execute bits turned off. I turned on the execute permissions, but the system still won't boot.
Old 04-26-10, 12:31 PM   #11
haiduced

Update: I uninstalled the kernel module and ran the nvidia installer again. The kernel module builds successfully every time, but the system becomes unresponsive when the installer tries to load it. I looked at nvidia-installer.log but it's empty.
Old 04-27-10, 11:36 AM   #12
luk1don

Bootsplash freezing? Remove: rhgb from kernel line and boot.
Maybe framebuffer... (PAE kernels add option: vmalloc=256m)
luk1don is offline   Reply With Quote