Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-27-10, 02:35 PM   #13
danix
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Fedora Core 12 won't boot after installing NVidia drivers and disabling nouveau

Do you get any errors when trying to modprobe nvidia without starting X?

Can you remove "quiet" and "splash" from your boot options? This might help give some clue as to what is actually happening when you're freezing during boot.

Also, try intel_iommu=off again. I have noticed that if a system crashes immediately after the driver has been installed, then sometimes the installation gets corrupted. Boot with intel_iommu=off, run the NVIDIA installer again while booted with intel_iommu=off, and see what happens.
danix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-10, 11:06 AM   #14
haiduced

Default Re: Fedora Core 12 won't boot after installing NVidia drivers and disabling nouveau

Quote:
Originally Posted by danix View Post
Do you get any errors when trying to modprobe nvidia without starting X?

Can you remove "quiet" and "splash" from your boot options? This might help give some clue as to what is actually happening when you're freezing during boot.

Also, try intel_iommu=off again. I have noticed that if a system crashes immediately after the driver has been installed, then sometimes the installation gets corrupted. Boot with intel_iommu=off, run the NVIDIA installer again while booted with intel_iommu=off, and see what happens.

I tried running the NVIDIA installer again with intel_iommu=off and "quiet" and "rhgb" removed. Same result, the system just becomes unresponsive when the module is loaded.

I then installed kmod-nvidia using yum. 'modprobe nvidia' also results in the system becoming unresponsive. No error messages, it just stops responding to the keyboard. The cursor still blinks though.
haiduced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-10, 08:15 PM   #15
leigh123linux

Try

Code:
su -
sed -i '/root=/s|$| rdblacklist=nouveau|' /boot/grub/grub.conf
leigh123linux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-10, 01:06 PM   #16
haiduced

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh123linux View Post
Try

Code:
su -
sed -i '/root=/s|$| rdblacklist=nouveau|' /boot/grub/grub.conf
Already tried that.
Old 05-11-10, 02:30 PM   #17
haiduced

Default Fixed!

I finally got it working. The problem was that I had an additional video card built-in to the motherboard. I disabled the onboard video in BIOS and the problem with the nvidia driver went away.