Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-28-10, 07:17 PM   #1
Tatsh

Default 195.36.24 + 8200m + Laptop HDMI output, nothing on either screen

I am using an older 190.xx version driver until this is resolved. That is where everything works, but as kernels get updated often old drivers lose compatibility.

Distro: Gentoo
I install like normal from Portage.

My (HP G60t-243cl) laptop has an HDMI port. After upgrading from 190.xx series to 195.36.24 (or ANY 195.xx version), and with the same exact configuration, if i run X either with /etc/init.d/xdm or startx I get NO video on my LCD or my laptop screen. Not a computer lock-up as I can go back to a getty console and close, etc. Once I unplug the HDMI cable, startx works and shows on the laptop screen (as expected).

I am just wondering if anyone else has come across this issue. It seems the old driver initialises the screen (and can read the EDID information fine) while the new one just does not.

Strangely enough, in the GUI, the monitor is seen (start X without HDMI plugged, plug it in, click Detect Monitors in GUI). What's strange is if I go to its information there is nothing about its refresh rate, etc. This information is there with a 190.xx driver.

Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nvidia-settings.jpeg
Views:	120
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	40129  
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (78.2 KB, 81 views)
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report-190-working.log.gz (41.4 KB, 82 views)

Last edited by Tatsh; 04-28-10 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Added nvidia-bug-report.log.gz; Added report from 190.xx in working state; Added screenshot of nvidia-settings 190.xx
Tatsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-10, 09:30 PM   #2
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: 195.36.24 + 8200m + Laptop HDMI output, nothing on either screen

Thanks for the report, Tatsh. I filed bug 681585.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-10, 02:46 AM   #3
smagic

Default Re: 195.36.24 + 8200m + Laptop HDMI output, nothing on either screen

Hi,
Any news on the bug?
I have a similair problem appearing both in windows and ubuntu/fedora.
On my compaq cq60-130ew laptop with 8200m g graphics, the hdmi port can only be used under 190.xx driver series. any newer driver does a blank screen on anything connected to the hdmi port (I have tried a few tv's both directly hdmi and through hdmi to dvi-d connector)...
have tried the 257.15 driver in windows yesterday and still no go - blank screen through hdmi, vga cable is ok (but not optimal, as no 1080p on my tv through vga). I am quite sure the same thing will happen in linux...
keeping my fingers crossed for you guys to get it solved
smagic is offline   Reply With Quote