Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-30-10, 06:58 PM   #1
LydianKnight
Registered Knight

Default Cold Fear - Is it possible to ensure correct aspect ratio (4:3 on widescreen)?

I'm trying to make the game show its natural aspect ratio (4:3) with no luck, doesn't matter if I specify the scaling to be done with correct aspect ratio in the NVIDIA Control Panel.

Not much of a worry, but... still, would like to know if any of you managed to get it working correctly in that sense... patch or config file edit, maybe?
LydianKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-10, 09:37 PM   #2
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero
Default Re: Cold Fear - Is it possible to ensure correct aspect ratio (4:3 on widescreen)?

nVidia's "keep aspect ratio" has been broken for months now, sadly. Who knows when they will fix it.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-10, 02:13 AM   #3
HiCZoK4

Default Re: Cold Fear - Is it possible to ensure correct aspect ratio (4:3 on widescreen)?

You are wrong. Nvidia aspect ratio option DOES work(At least for me). but it a little tricky.

It work normal under XP

Under 7 it goes back to default if You change it to anything else. But it can be done right... somehow( its like a trick). You have to set: Use nvidia scaling with fixed aspect ratio

What I did was turning it on while Futuremark menu was on in the background. It somehow made cp not too turn back to default. Also try turning it on while some 3D apps are running. Try restarting. then switching..... IDK it just switch sometimes even if it says "monitor scaling" it might be switched.

Maybe its only a case with me but try doing anything.

I am using whql drivers from last month
HiCZoK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-10, 04:12 AM   #4
LydianKnight
Registered Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
nVidia's "keep aspect ratio" has been broken for months now, sadly. Who knows when they will fix it.
No, no, that's the point... I mean... the NVIDIA scaler works well, I have some older titles like the Quake 1 Pack and the first Shadowgrounds which work well with the scaling mechanism, I have it set up like HiCZoK4 said, with the 'Use NVIDIA scaling with fixed-aspect ratio'.

Cold Fear is the only game that refuses to work under that configuration, rest is ok, so I suspect it has to do more with Cold Fear rather than the drivers themselves, hence why I asked for a patch or something like that.

The funny thing is... if I go to Ubisoft website they don't even have Cold Fear listed bwahahahahahaha FAIL xD
Old 05-01-10, 05:06 AM   #5
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

So wait, you just keep messing with it and eventually "keep aspect ratio" sticks?

Hmmm.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-10, 05:50 AM   #6
LydianKnight
Registered Knight

Exactly, but I'll be a bit more specific.

For Quake 1, I tried to set the maximum possible resolution close to my display height (1050), so I tried 1280x1024, close enough, and it works, I get (of course) black bars on the sides, but that's exactly my purpose, having the intended-to-be aspect ratio, which displays correctly.

Same goes for Shadowgrounds, custom quality (all to the max with AA+AF) at 1280x1024 and exactly the same, correct aspect ratio.

Even tried (just for testing purposes) adjusting F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin and Grand Theft Auto IV at 1280x1024, and voila! black bars and correct aspect ratio.

So in my own experience, the driver works as it's supposed to work. The only game not adhering to the aspect ratio correction is Cold Fear, doesn't matter if I choose any resolution (640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1600x1200), it stretches, so my thoughts are about that... the game must be using something in-code to adjust aspect ratio in relation to selected resolution, which is crap.

Heck, even the first video sequence (the Ubisoft logo) is stretched, so the 'offending' code must be running on video mode allocation, I think, that's why I think a patch would be more than welcome :S
Old 05-01-10, 06:27 AM   #7
omzig
Comfortably Numb

Hi LydianKnight

I replayed Cold fear a few months ago and was looking for a way to stop the stretch while running in 16:10 after a little bit of looking i came across this thread a WSGF

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com...d+fear#p190600

Its a pretty stright forward Hex hack of the exe all the info you'll need to set your res is included in the thread

Hope that helps
Gizmo
omzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-10, 07:40 AM   #8
LydianKnight
Registered Knight

I'll try it, thanks