Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-01-10, 06:46 PM   #1
xlegs

Default Help with Configuration!

When a Macbook Pro 4,1' s screen broke, I decided to get an external monitor in order to make the laptop useful, as that would be cheaper than a screen repair. I have a dual boot OS X/Ubuntu 10.04 system now. The Ubuntu 10.04 default driver worked well, but I am a sucker for wobbly windows, and so I decided to install the NVidia restricted driver.

I had three choices: 2 of them were NVidia and I chose the one tagged "(version current) [Recommended]." The It asked to reboot and I did. The problem was that the video stopped showing up on the big external display connected to the laptop. I was able to discern that the NVidia driver disabled my external monitor. Changing this was a simple matter of changing preferences.

Unfortunately, the actual laptop's display is broken. Therefore, I cannot change the preferences with the laptop itself. I have since reinstalled Ubuntu and I am back on the original driver. Is there any way to make sure that the driver will put the video on my external monitor before I restart the computer?

My graphics card is an NVidia GeForce 8600M GT
My display is a Dell VGA monitor with 1600x900 resolution
My Ubuntu version is 10.04.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks
xlegs is offline   Reply With Quote