Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-01-10, 08:56 PM   #1
hewlett

Unhappy Brother fryed his CO 920

He was running a ga-EX-58 Extreme water cooled @ 4.3 no HT for 4 day's.
He called me last monday 4-26 and told me about it that it would not boot up, Man was he bummed.

So we did a little testing in my board and sure enough it would instantly shut down when trying to boot it! tested board with my DO in it, instant shut down.
well that was a pita. We both thought the same,borked 'em.

Well today i was thinking about a few trends i've read resently on the internet about people Resurrecting their video cards in the oven for a short period of time, and get them working,

So anyways i called him up asked him to try it with both board and processor in the oven 200 deg. for 5-10 min. and then in to the fridgerator freezer with the processor for 2 min. and let it air dry for 10 min.
LOL, guess what it booted and is still running as i type this thread!

So don't throw out that fryed processor-Board just yet before you try this, anyway glad it worked for him since he has been layed off from his job for 2 months now,
and could not afford the expence of replacing them.

Last edited by hewlett; 05-02-10 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Miss spelling
hewlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-10, 05:33 PM   #2
hewlett

Default Re: Brother fryed his CO 920

Has anyone ever tried this oven and freezer with there dead processors yet ? The board i suspect was revised because of the burnt memory controller and adding heat from an oven on the Caps ?
Old 05-07-10, 05:39 PM   #3
Drolfrawd

Send a message via MSN to Drolfrawd

Has anyone ever tried planting magic beans then wait for a magic bean stalk to appear
Drolfrawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-10, 11:26 PM   #4
hewlett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolfrawd View Post
Has anyone ever tried planting magic beans then wait for a magic bean stalk to appear
Ok troll on and out !
Old 05-07-10, 11:27 PM   #5
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewlett View Post
He was running a ga-EX-58 Extreme water cooled @ 4.3 no HT for 4 day's.
He called me last monday 4-26 and told me about it that it would not boot up, Man was he bummed.

So we did a little testing in my board and sure enough it would instantly shut down when trying to boot it! tested board with my DO in it, instant shut down.
well that was a pita. We both thought the same,borked 'em.

Well today i was thinking about a few trends i've read resently on the internet about people Resurrecting their video cards in the oven for a short period of time, and get them working,

So anyways i called him up asked him to try it with both board and processor in the oven 200 deg. for 5-10 min. and then in to the fridgerator freezer with the processor for 2 min. and let it air dry for 10 min.
LOL, guess what it booted and is still running as i type this thread!

So don't throw out that fryed processor-Board just yet before you try this, anyway glad it worked for him since he has been layed off from his job for 2 months now,
and could not afford the expence of replacing them.
I can see how this would fix cold solder issues with the motherboard. But I really have no idea how this process helps a CPU...

EDIT: Re-read the OP, my bad...
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-10, 11:35 PM   #6
hewlett

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
Well, YMMV. But be sure something is broken before trying this. Because one component might not be broken, but it will be after it spends too much time in the oven. Also, this generally works for cold solder problems. Doing this with CPU's is not recommended. If you heat the silicon too much or too long, you may cause the dopants to diffuse, then it's proper ****ed.

Also, from the way the OP sounds, it sounds like your motherboard was the source of the problems, not the processor. If his board doesn't boot with his CPU, and it won't boot with your (working) CPU, then how do you come to the conclusion that his CPU is the one that's borked... lol.
Because we took his CPU and put it on my board first and it would shut down instantly ? which btw my do is running fine on my board.
Old 05-07-10, 11:41 PM   #7
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewlett View Post
Because we took his CPU and put it on my board first and it would shut down instantly ? which btw my do is running fine on my board.
I know, it's late and I re-read the OP and saw I misread it
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-10, 11:58 PM   #8
hewlett

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
I know, it's late and I re-read the OP and saw I misread it
hey , np... just thought I could save someone some money on a replacement one day
if something like this happens to someone else .
PS we both fly the sim with many addons and he is still able to clock it @ 4.2,and still to this day it seems fine.