Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-11-10, 05:59 AM   #121
sammy sung

Default Re: Alpha Protocol

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
The AI running at you to fight rather than shoot you is a weird issue it has, that is true. I saw that happen 5-6 times through the game and every time I was like "WTF?" That said, the AI in other areas I never thought was bad... most people rag on the enemy detection in stealth, but that is stat-based like the aiming. At high stealth levels and stealth equipment, I was never seen basically. When the enemies are in alerted mode they see you quickly, but that makes sense because they are alerted.

His complaints about the aiming are completely non-factual and retarded, as it is stat-based aiming, not broken, and pistols are the most accurate weapons in the game once you level up. Most reviews make this mistake, which tells me they are fundamentally incapable of understanding the system at play or did not play long enough to level up their weapons (or leveled up poorly).

He is also factually inaccurate in saying the stealth is broken and you can't finish missions stealthily, which is just a lie and I completed I would guess 9 out of 10 missions without being seen once.

The texture pop-on/too much depth of field complaint is not relevant to the PC version.

What else did he list? Bugs and glitches? These seem prevalent for some people but honestly I only encountered a couple minor ones.

The biggest negatives of the game are crappy, rough graphics and horrible mini-games, which he barely/doesn't mention.

So I say crappy review, and I am trying to justify nothing. The game is in the 7 range I would guess, which is what most of my more trusted review sites, like say Eurogamer, gave it. For RPG lovers and people who dug Deus Ex I would say up that by two points. I certainly had a 9 out of 10 experience with it myself.
I'd give it a 6+,i think a lot of what he said is true but not all of it,it does however vary a lot because not all people experience bugs and if you do it will definatly bring down your impression of the game as a whole.
Old 06-11-10, 09:11 AM   #122
nomec

I couldn't fix my game so I had to wipe it from my hard drive. I'm sure it will work if I reinstall it but I don't feel like going through the damn training tutorial part again so maybe one of these days I'll get back around to it if it gets patched.
Old 06-11-10, 09:19 AM   #123
Vardant

You can skip the tutorial. I've never played it actually, skipped it by accident on my first playthrough.
Vardant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-10, 08:21 PM   #124
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Alpha Protocol gets an 81 in PC Gamer: http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/06/10/al...otocol-review/

Maybe that will convince some people it's worth playing. That's a brand new PC Gamer site too, by the way, if anyone cares.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-10, 01:16 PM   #125
wollyka
From the Land of Cedars

I just purchase it.. will try to play it this weekend or the weekend after
-G.SKILL SNIPER SERIES / 1600MHz
-evga Geforce 680GTX
-X-fi Fat1ality FPS
-Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W PSU
-LG LED E2380
wollyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-10, 12:24 AM   #126
AdamK47

Bought it off eBay for $28 with free shipping. Seems pretty good so far.
AdamK47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-10, 02:06 AM   #127
breathemetal
*BANNED*

Send a message via AIM to breathemetal

im my 2nd playthrough right now
seems like ill be replaying this a lot
there are so many different paths you can take

first time played through as a paragon, tried not to kill, etc etc. it was rewarding. good story, good gameplay.

now im being as aggressive as i can, run and gunnin, and killing everyone.
breathemetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-10, 02:22 AM   #128
sammy sung

Finished my third playthrough now as a veteran and again had a different ending.

This time i chose Sie as my handler last mission,i convinced Parker to help me instead of him trying to kill me with turrents while i had to defuse bombs, i now had to defend him while he secured evidence.I did NOT save Mina,this time since i didn't have to kill Parker i had to fight Westridge where i the 2 previous ones fought Leland. Westridge told me that Mina was in on it and led me on (this game has more twists than a slalom course) I then confronted Leland and Scarlet showed up and shot me,she then killed leland and i left the island alone on the Boat.This ending surprised me though because the second playthrough i had Heck as the handler and he then was on the boat with me .First time i saved Mina,had Sie as the handler (Sie's sexscene was included),killed parker,didn't have a Westridge confrontation and left the island with Mina.I'm sure there's a lot more twists to be had but 3 times is enough for me.

Some things are annoying with the outcome of a conversation being the same regardless of wich options you choose,When you intercept and kill the guy with the USB stick in the taipei subway you have to choose between evidence regarding the asassination or the riots.
Then whataver conversation option you choose you cannot convince Sung to cancel his appearance,there's others similar to this and that made the whole conversations feel redundant when you still cannot affect the outcome.

All in all i enjoyed it a lot,it's still a ugly mothe****er though
It really pays off when they hire real pro's for the voice acting,that part was exceptional in this game and checking the Alpha Protocol cast on imdb http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1249406/fullcredits you see that most of the voice actors have pretty extensive experience.I'm playing heavy Rain on the PS3 now and compared to AP the voice acting is subpar in that game.

Old 06-20-10, 05:16 AM   #129
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

I hope they make a AP2. Despite the bad early reviews from mislead Gears of War fans it's a great game and it seems to be selling well.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-10, 08:32 AM   #130
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

I purchased this game during the steam sale, and i want my money back.

So far this is the biggest mess that Obsidian released, seriously how did this game pass QA testing?

AI is beyond stupid.
Camera/Controls feels weird, movement feels unnatural, its like a game from mid 90s with better visuals.
And WTF is up with that computer hacking, move one side with WASD (or arrows) second side with a mouse, who invented that crap.

Oh, and during conversations, when its time to respond, I only see 3 or sometimes 4 dots, there are no words, just dots, how the hell am i supposed to know what to say.
Old 06-28-10, 10:24 AM   #131
LurkerLito

I thought the camera controls were fine (you want to see unnatural buy Avencast and try playing it with expert controls), and I never ran into the problem where there were no words just dots on the dialog picking screen. Maybe an install or steam problem? I have retail and IIRC it's using some Uniloc DRM, and when I upgraded my video card, AP would still run and get to the menu, but the sounds on the menu items were screwed up and loading save games would fail, eventually it figured out that the computer changed and asked me to activate the game again and the problems went away, so I am thinking maybe your install has an issue with it triggering the hidden DRM features.

Yes the computer hacking is the worst cause they just direct ported it from the console gamepad controls, WSAD + Spacebar = Left Stick + Left Trigger, Mouse + left mouse button= Right stick + Right trigger. It's funny cause I hated it so much at first I would pause switch it to game pad mode with a xb360 controller plugged in and use that for the hacking and switch back, but I eventually got use to it and now can deal with the KB/mouse but it still feels unnatural.

Main PC: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe ; Intel i7-3770k ; GSkill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 (2x8GB) ; Seasonic X Series X-1050 PSU ; Corsair H100 ; EVGA GTX-670 ; Mushkin 240GB SSD system drive
Old PC: ABIT IP35 Pro ; Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ; Patriot 6GB (3x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM ; EVGA GTX480 SC ; Antec P190 Case ; EnzoTech Ultra120 CPU Cooler
LurkerLito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-10, 10:42 AM   #132
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
Oh, and during conversations, when its time to respond, I only see 3 or sometimes 4 dots, there are no words, just dots, how the hell am i supposed to know what to say.
Stop forcing AA.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote