Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-03-10, 02:19 PM   #61
|MaguS|

Default Re: Alpha Protocol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroy View Post
I'd bet lack of quicksave is more due to its console roots than anything.
Actually no, The lack of quicksaves is to prevent people from rolling back on choices they made. Thats why they even put a timer on conversation choices because they want you to make a gut reaction to situations, not pick the best outcome like in Mass Effect.
Old 06-03-10, 03:24 PM   #62
Destroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Actually no, The lack of quicksaves is to prevent people from rolling back on choices they made. Thats why they even put a timer on conversation choices because they want you to make a gut reaction to situations, not pick the best outcome like in Mass Effect.
Do you know that as fact or just making a good argument? If true, that's bad forced game design. If someone wants to short change or cheat themselves, that's their prerogative. Tons of fun I have in games are quicksaving then seeing the various short term outcomes. Long term outcomes I'll never see since I never have time, interest or patience to replay whole games to test like that otherwise.

Vista64 Home Premium
Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R
CPU E8500 with Corsair H50 cooler
HIS 6970, always 19x10res
Memory 8 Gig OCZ 1000@1024
Display Westinghouse 37" LVM-37w1 LCD monitor
Destroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-10, 03:35 PM   #63
LurkerLito

I just got the game from Amazon today. It looks fine so far but I only played for a short while. But OMG the computer hacking interface with the mouse is just horrible, you can definitely feel the needs two analog sticks from the console controller with that mini game.

Main PC: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe ; Intel i7-3770k ; GSkill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 (2x8GB) ; Seasonic X Series X-1050 PSU ; Corsair H100 ; EVGA GTX-670 ; Mushkin 240GB SSD system drive
Old PC: ABIT IP35 Pro ; Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ; Patriot 6GB (3x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM ; EVGA GTX480 SC ; Antec P190 Case ; EnzoTech Ultra120 CPU Cooler
LurkerLito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-10, 03:43 PM   #64
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroy View Post
Do you know that as fact or just making a good argument? If true, that's bad forced game design. If someone wants to short change or cheat themselves, that's their prerogative. Tons of fun I have in games are quicksaving then seeing the various short term outcomes. Long term outcomes I'll never see since I never have time, interest or patience to replay whole games to test like that otherwise.
I remeber reading it in an interview. They want players to go back and play again differently which provides a different experiance. You can see them forcing this design choice in many aspects of the game.
Old 06-03-10, 03:57 PM   #65
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
I remeber reading it in an interview. They want players to go back and play again differently which provides a different experiance. You can see them forcing this design choice in many aspects of the game.
Don't bring LOGIC into this MaguS! It was also on console, so ALL problems with it are clearly because it was ported from teh conzolez.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-10, 04:19 PM   #66
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

I got the game for my birthday. I'm playing SC: Conviction right now. So I'll give you my review when you no longer care about it.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-10, 04:28 PM   #67
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
I got the game for my birthday. I'm playing SC: Conviction right now. So I'll give you my review when you no longer care about it.
LOL. That would be now. The graphics in this game looks like a 5 year old game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-10, 04:51 PM   #68
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Wow, I love this game.

Playing it stealth the game mechanics are basically Splinter Cell... if you play it as a soldier perhaps it is more Gears of War, I don't know, but the "Spy" class plays just like Splinter Cell. Everything is stat-driven though, so headshots are harder to get with low accuracy, hiding is harder with low stealth, etc. I put a lot of points into pistols and stealth and I am a freaking ninja!

The lack of quick saves can be a pain, but Magus is right, it's a design choice. You cannot go back in this game, even if you load your previous checkpoint it always saves quickly after a choice or critical moment... if you got spotted, you got spotted, and you have to deal with the penalty. If you flubbed it with a girl, you flubbed it, and you have to deal with the fact she likes you less. It's awesome in a way, as it really makes those 4 seconds you have to pick a dialogue option tense... and sneaking is made tense. It's counter to how PC RPGs played in the past, but it's cool in a way.

mailman is right about graphics, it looks fugly at times. The textures are actually really good, especially when you force AF on it, but the geometry is very boxy and it has no AA and you can't force it right now. It's got that usual UE3 smoothing on close by objects, so the jaggies are not too, too bad, but you definitely will miss AA.

If you could replay Deus Ex today and not be frustrated by the mechanics, and you like spy genre stuff, then I would definitely suggest a purchase of Alpha Protocol. It feels old in a lot of ways, like a lost classic from 5 years ago.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-10, 05:02 PM   #69
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Sounds good to me. I just have such a back log of games. Bah...

I just finished Cryostasis two nights ago and that's the first single player game I've completed in several months.
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-10, 05:42 PM   #70
Destroy

Don't you guys feel at all ashamed at buying and supporting such a blatantly, rough finished product? I see it like buying a new car for full price with a bunch of dents and loose bolts all over it.

Vista64 Home Premium
Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R
CPU E8500 with Corsair H50 cooler
HIS 6970, always 19x10res
Memory 8 Gig OCZ 1000@1024
Display Westinghouse 37" LVM-37w1 LCD monitor
Destroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-10, 05:58 PM   #71
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
mailman is right about graphics, it looks fugly at times. The textures are actually really good, especially when you force AF on it, but the geometry is very boxy and it has no AA and you can't force it right now. It's got that usual UE3 smoothing on close by objects, so the jaggies are not too, too bad, but you definitely will miss AA.
Is there a way to force AA through an .ini file like you can with most UE3 games that don't have the option outright?
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-10, 06:01 PM   #72
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnotaku View Post
Is there a way to force AA through an .ini file like you can with most UE3 games that don't have the option outright?
You can force AA on it, but it messes up the dialogue system. Honestly if no one ever finds a way around that this could be a game that can never be played with AA! I can't see them patching it either, since AA is not supported in the first place.

Arg.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote