Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-04-10, 06:43 PM   #1
pauljohn

Default Three monitors, NV420 quadro from dell with a 4 monitor dongle

I'm checking on the state of the art for more-than-two monitors.

I've got some Dell workstations and lots of monitors. They have the NV420 Quadro video card. The output from the card is DP, but I asked for DVI connectors, so they gave me this neat "two headed" dongle, in each end of the dongle there are 2 DVI plugs, so I can connect up 4 monitors altogether.

In MS Windows (what Dell provides, what my students like ), we get more or less "automatic" use of 3 or 4 monitors. We have to fiddle around with which monitor is plugged into which plug, but in the end we have a desktop that spans 3 monitors. The Nvidia Windows config tool does not let us arrange the monitors at all, it is rather stubborn. But we can see and use them.

In Linux, I have more trouble. I have set up twinview with one of the two-head dongle plug thingies, and those 2 monitors work together well. I can also run a separate X server on the other video dongle thingie. I have followed the documentation and many of you seem only able to start a wholly separate X server.

From watching the Windows thing 'just work', I know the hardware is capable of seeing all this monitor space as one desktop/viewport/workspace (choose your jargon, I don't see a difference)

I'd like to fix the Linux side because:

In use, the two separate X server setup is BAD because programs can't work together across all displays. The Gnome desktop/panel does not seem to understand the fact it is interacting with two separate X servers. So sometimes you hit the panel to create a program on the 3rd monitor, the one that is on a monitor and X server all by itself, and that program opens on the other Xserver. I know, it sounds impossible, but it happens.

I have found some posts here from last year about ways to "cheat" to make the 3 monitors work together in 1 X server. The essence seems to be to make one device with Twinview, and then use something else to knit the other monitor onto that collection. But I can't exactly understand how this would work, so I came here to ask "what is the state of the art in 2010"?

pj

Paul Johnson
Center for Research Methods
University of Kansas
pauljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-10, 11:40 PM   #2
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Three monitors, NV420 quadro from dell with a 4 monitor dongle

Just to clarify the terminology, an "X server" is a single instance of the Xorg process. What you're describing sounds like two X screens on a single X server.

The feature you're looking for to combine multiple X screens into a single big X screen is called "Xinerama". You can enable it by running "nvidia-xconfig --xinerama". It has a few caveats, most notably that you lose the Composite extension, which means no desktop effects like wobbly windows or the desktop cube.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote