Go Back   nV News Forums > Website Related > Feedback Forum

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-19-03, 12:17 PM   #13
The Baron

Quote:
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
ROFLMFAO~~~~~

Y'know, even when I worked there I was against the necessity of registration to read the forums and I still am....but they don't "have their collective heads" up their asses over there about it, they know it annoys a lot of people but feel it is required to keep the bandwidth costs down. (When DH started out it became a lot more popular a lot faster than anyone anticipated, and the way the costs kept jumping was astronomical! )
I wonder what takes more bandwidth.

1. Letting some people load a single page

OR

2. Letting 75% of those people ignore it while 25% go through the process of registering, which is 3 or 4 different pages, an email, another page, and then FINALLY the right one. And then all of those promptly forget that DH exists, and reregister when they want to read something else at the forums. Oh, and in the process, you piss those 25% of people off.

A good way to reduce bandwidth costs? No Flash. Especially no Flash where no one will see it at the very bottom of the page.
Old 07-20-03, 10:03 AM   #14
Midnight blue

as far as im aware I dont think it has anything to do with bandwidth....... thats what I read last time, just a personal decision to get more active members, and from what ive seen it works.

incidentally the news forum all these articles are posted in, are open to non members for reading. (and didnt you see the flash )
Midnight blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-03, 10:22 AM   #15
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by Midnight blue
as far as im aware I dont think it has anything to do with bandwidth....... thats what I read last time, just a personal decision to get more active members, and from what ive seen it works.

incidentally the news forum all these articles are posted in, are open to non members for reading. (and didnt you see the flash )
And Blue joins the ranks of the multi-forum wanderers....

(Hi Blue! )
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-03, 10:25 AM   #16
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Midnight blue
But what percentage of those who register to read info actually become "active" members? I'm not trying to flame, I'm really curious.

I'm sure DH is just like most other forums where you have a lot of members but only a small percentage post with any frequency.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-03, 10:31 AM   #17
Midnight blue

Thank you digital i think this thread is a little off track for the title, but who am I ?

I have been coming here for a while, never posted, but I felt it would be good to post as I know the owner and he is really a nice man, I think its really unfair that people just flame others without knowing facts or reasons (not saying everyone is before I get flamed!) , I mean DH is a nice place why cant people just leave it at that, or not go there, all this posting how other forums arent good for this reason or that, is it really needed?

you are right I would say there is only a small percentage of active users just like everywhere else.

**runs back into shadows**
Midnight blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-03, 10:56 AM   #18
digitalwanderer

Wink Jeeze Blue, MikeC too?

Do you know every cool webmaster around the net or what?!?

I actually agree with both of you on this; there is room for argument either way. (I know I've argued it enough! ) Bottom-line is it's Zardon's call to make and his reasons for doing so are valid and justified....not to mention they work.

I agree there are no where near as many active posters as there are members, but the same is true for most forums. Also, it does tend to encourage return visits once you've registered as well as cutting down on the spam/flames/crazy-weirdness. (Although I'll be the first to admit that we had our fair share of that too, and they probably still do. Someday I'll write a book.... ) You have to admit, DH is doing alright for itself for only being about 14 months old.

"Vote with your wallet!", if you don't like it don't go there....but you'll be missing out on a truly great and unique site.
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-03, 09:07 PM   #19
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Default Re: Jeeze Blue, MikeC too?

Quote:
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
"Vote with your wallet!", if you don't like it don't go there....but you'll be missing out on a truly great and unique site.
That's pretty much what I do. I've maybe visited DH 10 times total. Not that I have anything against it, it's just not in my daily website repertoire.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-03, 10:54 PM   #20
sbp

I dislike it when forums require you to join to read threads. Also like to lurk to get a feel for how a forum is and see if its worth joining.

Having 195kb avatars doesn't help reduce bandwidth costs.

As has been pointed out...folks can run their forums and sites. People can also choose to patronize or not.

Last edited by sbp; 07-20-03 at 10:58 PM.
sbp is offline   Reply With Quote