Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-11-10, 10:51 AM   #13
dk75

Default Re: NVidia ION lockups in MythTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by primerib View Post
I don't have a desktop/windows/etc on my ION box. The sole purpose is a dedicated htpc running VDR w/mplayer & mp3 plugins. No reason for a desktop and so on. I don't like Mythtv so I have no plan to bother with it. I also run an absolutely minimal Debian install.

Obviously though I have xorg installed.
I was forced to use bare XWindow screen without Composite extension to watch 720p or 1080p H264 video at my old GF9500 256MiB gfx card. With that I had no problem with "no free memory for VDPAU" errors.

So check it out to se whatever you have Composite extension enabled or not (it could be a default enabled with your XServer version):
Code:
if xdpyinfo -queryExtensions |grep -q Composite; then echo "Composite is ON"; else echo "Composite is OFF"; fi
  • Xorg/XServer 7.6+12/1.11.4
  • GNOME 3.2.2
dk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-10, 01:32 PM   #14
Stephen Warren

I'll try a local repro just running MPlayer in a loop here, and see if I can repro that easily. I also tried skipping around in an MPEG-2 clip for a couple minutes without success. (Is everyone playing back MPEG, or also H.264?)

One more thing you can try: The kernel has some keyboard shortcuts which may help debug this kind of issue. In all cases below, ALT-SysRq-x means press and hold ALT, press and hold SysRq (may also be labelled Print Screen on the keyboard), press and release x, then release ALT and SysRq.

Before reproducing the problem, press ALT-SysRq-8 to increase the kernel debug level. Afterwards, if some "print screen" window appears, you can just close it.

After the hang, press ALT-SysRq-t to tell the kernel to dump some state. Then, press ALT-SysRq-s to attempt to flush disks.

Now, try killing any processes running on the current terminal; press ALT-SysRq-k. Wait a couple minutes to see if the system comes back to life. You could also try switching to another terminal at this point using CTRL-ALT-Fn where n is a number that isn't the VT X is running on.

Finally, try syncing and unmounting your filesystems: ALT-SysRq-u.

After rebooting, hopefully, there will be some debug spew in /var/log/messages (or wherever such kernel messages are sent on your distro; perhaps /var/log/syslog or /var/log/kern.* are alternatives, or maybe others). If so, can you attach that file, and also generate a new nvidia-bug-report.

See http://linux.about.com/od/linux101/l/blnewbie5_1.htm for reference.

Thanks.
Stephen Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-10, 06:10 PM   #15
Stephen Warren

I've run an MPEG-2 clip (that I believe is a DTV recording) on my ION for using both drivers 190.53 and an unreleased driver for 2 hours each without issue.

Possibilities:

a) Something specific to various users' clips that isn't in my clip is causing the problems. Can somebody please upload a clip that has experienced the problem on their setup; see stickies for upload info.

b) Something specific to the playback method (e.g. MythTV, vdr/xine doing something different than my MPlayer build). I suspect this is not the problem, since somebody in this thread mentiond MPlayer also causes the problem for them.

c) Something different in your ION HW to mine. I'm not quite sure what this might be though, other than general system instability problems. Have you all run e.g. a memory and hard-disk diagnostic on your systems to rule out any bad HW?
Old 05-11-10, 07:15 PM   #16
primerib

I am playing h264 content here. IIRC I did not experience this problem with mpeg2, only h264. There are no problems with the ram, harddisk, heat, etc.

I also don't believe the problem is within xine-lib, mplayer, vdr/xine, etc. as I can run the exact same versions of everything on any of my non-ION boxes and there's no problem what-so-ever. From all appearances this seems to be an ION problem rather then anything else. Whatever it actually is, hopefully it will finally be resolved so our ION's don't have to sit collecting dust. ;(
primerib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-10, 06:32 AM   #17
Osho

OK,

I have hard lockups too, but this happens on a DFI LP JR GF9400 Motherboard which basically is ION too. I hope to provide some additional observations I've made. I have had the box freezing on me since I built it i November 2009. The box is mainly for MythTV and XBMC.

At first I tought the MB was bad, but after several clean sessions with Memtest86 and kernel-compile loops i discarded that. I also noticed that the box always froze when some kind of video-activity was going on. It never froze on compiles or transcoding. When I say "freeze" I really mean hard-lockup, no network, no keyboard no nothing - I have to press and hold the powerbutton to get out of it.

Upon investigating this I first disabled composite and twinview - this helped a lot. I went from one freeze per 1-2 days to about once a week. Next thing I did was to completely disable VSync in nvidia-tools and in MythTV:s settings. After that - no more lockups...unless - I also use XBMC and have VSync set to "let the driver choose" (without it I get horrible tearing), and If I play a lot of h264 AND pause/ff/rewind a lot - a lockup will occur sooner or later. That lockup can also happen in MythTV but only after using XBMC. I have to play some h264 first (XBMC is the trigger number one here).

I noticed while trying to pinpoint this that while I had lockups in MythTV (with VSync on), those would occur more often if I watched HD-channels (which are h264 where I am), rest of channels are mpeg2.

To summarize, VSync makes the problem occur more often. H264 makes the problem occur more often. Disabling twinview makes the problem occur less often. It has happened with all driver-versions, the first I used was in the 185-series.

Hope this helps. Attaching a bug-report also.

Regards
Magnus
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (34.4 KB, 111 views)
Osho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-10, 06:12 PM   #18
Stephen Warren

I've played back HD H.264 content on ION now for 6 hours without issue.

Osho, VDPAU doesn't use any of the "sync to vblank" settings that xorg.conf or nvidia-settings set. Any relation between those settings and repro frequency is probably a fluke. Alternatively, perhaps some API other than VDPAU is causing the issue; does MythTV only use VDPAU for all display operations when configured for VDPAU acceleration, or does it also use OpenGL or regular X rendering for menus, OSD, ...?
Old 05-13-10, 01:14 AM   #19
primerib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Warren View Post
I've played back HD H.264 content on ION now for 6 hours without issue.

Osho, VDPAU doesn't use any of the "sync to vblank" settings that xorg.conf or nvidia-settings set. Any relation between those settings and repro frequency is probably a fluke. Alternatively, perhaps some API other than VDPAU is causing the issue; does MythTV only use VDPAU for all display operations when configured for VDPAU acceleration, or does it also use OpenGL or regular X rendering for menus, OSD, ...?
I myself use VDR, not MythTV. But if what you're suggesting is the case, why is this problem only manifesting on the ION box? I have a few boxes, all of which running the same software versions of everything, all using VDPAU. Between the ION, 8400gs's, and GT220, only the ION experiences this.

I'm not ruling out sending you my ION box if it means getting this resolved!
Old 05-13-10, 09:45 AM   #20
Stephen Warren

There are differences between GPUs at a HW level, so various different code-paths are taken in the driver. Equally, since ION is also a chipset, this may even cause the kernel itself to act differently.

If shipping me your ION is something you're willing to do, that might expedite a solution, since it'd at least allow us to reproduce the problem.

Old 05-13-10, 12:14 PM   #21
Osho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Warren View Post
Yes, thats my understanding about VDPAU and vsync too. MythTV:s GUI use OpenGL from what I hear.
I guess XBMC use OpenGL too. But what about playing non-VDPAU material in XBMC?

While trying to solve my hangs I have noted the following:

* "Out" of the box install of Ubuntu 9.10, MythTV, X/Nvidia hangs about every 1-2 days
* My current config is the best so far, very few hangs. It never hangs unless I use XBMC.
* Disabling Twinview and/or Vsync was my biggest stability improvement so far.
* All hangs involve some kind of video activity. Box do other heavy processing and there
have been zero hangs while idle, just compiling, transcoding, commflagging, recording etc.
* When it hangs it can be while playing any content, VDPAU, non-VDPAU material.

Today I let the box run some Unigine Heaven and Tropics benchmarks for a couple of hours.
No problems. Then I switched the setting to use "Vsync" and still no problems after a few hours of that...hmm.

Only thing I got from Unigine-test was a vertical tear in the picture that wont go away. Never seen that before. See attached pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	corrupt1.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	203.7 KB
ID:	40233  Click image for larger version

Name:	corrupt_livetv.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	216.0 KB
ID:	40234  
Old 05-13-10, 12:53 PM   #22
dk75

Strange thing then - my ION never locked up.
Thought I've stopped using XBMC two months ago and now use SMPlayer/MPlayer (too mutch hastle to load up XBMC and search for file when I have GnomeCommander in that directory opened already).
And I never seek while watching so I might never meet requirements.
And my ZOTAC MoBo have BIOS with VIDEO memory configuration settings.
And I have 4GiB memory in slots...
  • Xorg/XServer 7.6+12/1.11.4
  • GNOME 3.2.2
dk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-10, 01:11 PM   #23
Osho

Interesting, I just had another lockup!

This was while showing a friend some holiday-pictures in XBMC. So this was not really while playing video.
First time this happens. Also it was just after a fresh reboot to get rid of the nasty tear after running Unigine.

So I can run Unigine for hours, but I can't display a few pictures in XBMC...

It would be very tempting to call this an XBMC-problem, but the OP has hangs in MythTV and I have too...only very rarely now after all the tweaking.

I too have 4GB memory and set BIOS to allocate 512MB for graphics.
Old 05-13-10, 02:08 PM   #24
primerib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osho View Post
It would be very tempting to call this an XBMC-problem, but the OP has hangs in MythTV and I have too...
I don't see how that would be very tempting considering that other people, myself included, have these hard lockups and don't use MythTV or XBMC. I think it's far more likely what Stephen recently touched on. I may be sending him my box to help get this sorted out.