Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-14-10, 05:20 AM   #25
piotro

Default Re: NVidia ION lockups in MythTV

I'm really glad this issue pops up !

I have production system with 3 different Myth FEs: 8200IGP(GA-M85); 9400IGP(GA-EAUM) and ION(AsRock).
All are using the same network boot image (0.23-fixes 24609, 195.36.24; 2.6.33.3).

Basically 8200/9400 based FE are rock stable in daily use (weeks uptime with many daily suspend-resume and few hours of SD/HD video, web browsing, RSS reading etc).

Rock-solid stability fortunately it is not a case for ION FE.

With ION I have random freezes - but only in MythNews (so far I wasn't able to catch up freeze in other myth functions)

Symptoms:
  • freeze in ALWAYS during the same phase (graphic operation just before Myth enters MythNews screen).
  • it is independent on kernel/nvidia versions.
  • when freeze occurs, sys is virtually dead. No ping, no reaction on kb. HW reset is needed.
  • Hang is ALWAYS in the same place (entering MythNews). Other functions (multi hour BluRay, LiveTV, etc playback are rock-solid).

What I think:
  • as hang is always in the same place - I believe it is not stability problem in sense of bad MEM or overheating CPU.
  • as FEs based on 8400IGP hasn't this issue since months - I don't believe it is Myth or my boot image issue. (now I swapped most frequently used FE (salon) from ION to 9400IGP (GA-EAUM) - will see how it is stable (but I believe it will be stable).
  • I do torture test for MythNews (macro which launch/exit/launch/exit MythNews. 1000 cycles - ho hang - so probably hang isn't my software issue (Qt,Nv,Xserver,kernel).

Currently I consider 2 theories:
1.my ION has very subtle HW design defect which combined with NVdrivers manifests only in very specific code patch.
2.ATOM's low speed exposes code races which are not catchable when CPU is faster (my 8200IGP has X2 4400 and 9400 has E5300).

Described issue is so annoying that I was forced to swap ION to another FE in salon room. (I don't mention strongly decreased WAF).

I'm wonder opinion of Nv engineers - especially how can I progress with debugging this issue. Unresolved, causes my investment in ION is simply lost money.

br
piotro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-10, 05:31 AM   #26
piotro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsuetholz View Post
Hello,
The folks at the mythtv-users irc channel have indicated that VDPAU does not play nice when it is running at less that 512MB of video memory.
Well,
It is not true in my case. Mem requirements are directly proportional to screen resolution and indirectly to used nv features (deinterlacest, loop-filters, etc)

For fullHD (1080x1920) definitely 512M is required for video (also myth in peeks requires over 512M - so my sys has to have 2G RAM total).

For halfHD (1360x768) 128M video is enough. I'm able to build system with 1G RAM - but video/sysmem has to be splited to 128/892. (256/768 gives crash for 1080i HD programs when preview is generated)

br
Old 05-14-10, 10:31 AM   #27
Stephen Warren

FYI, I ran some tests with XBMC, which uses OpenGL together with VDPAU, and glxgears (An OpenGL application) with sync-to-vblank enabled. I ran for 3-4 hours yesterday with compiz enabled, and overnight with compiz disabled. I see no issue. I'll see if I can set up MythTV soon.
Stephen Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-10, 01:53 PM   #28
piotro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Warren View Post
FYI, I ran some tests with XBMC, which uses OpenGL together with VDPAU, and glxgears (An OpenGL application) with sync-to-vblank enabled. I ran for 3-4 hours yesterday with compiz enabled, and overnight with compiz disabled. I see no issue. I'll see if I can set up MythTV soon.
Stephen,

Thx that You are keeping eye on this issue.
At some point of time I was suspecting Qt4. I'm on 4.6.2. I was trying downgrade Qt to 4.5 - no diference.
As XBMC isn't using Qt (I think so) and myth uses - maybe issue is code races within Qt which are manifesting only on specific CPU speeds ?

For me issue is quite difficult to catch. At some point of time I ran macro which 1000 times enters/exit MythNews. Idea was to stress gfx operations as I was suspecting Qt. All was OK.
NythNews code at entering MythNew checks how old cached feeds are - it they older than defined period, Myth starts download them. On my ION FE, freeze is always after long time (many hours) and I think it is in downloading phase. So maybe freeze is when system is doing gfx and net operations in parallel ?
As sys is diskless appliance, gdb on serial is not easy to setup....
Old 05-16-10, 02:47 PM   #29
piotro

Stephen,

I have to review my issue report: today I had also hang on 8200IGP.
So hang issue is rather not ION issue, but Myth+Nvdrivers one.
Interesting is however, that it it happens, only power-off can bring sys to usable state.
Pressing hw RESET restarts system but I'm unable to enter any gfx mode (black screen).
For fully functional system I have to pull power for +5 sec. This is observable on ION, 8200IGP/9400IGP
br
Old 05-17-10, 11:52 AM   #30
Stephen Warren

Is there a way for MythTV (MythVideo) to play back a video in a loop (i.e. keep repeating it forever) so that I can run a long-running MythTV test unattended?
Old 05-17-10, 03:26 PM   #31
wsuetholz

Quote:
Is there a way for MythTV (MythVideo) to play back a video in a loop (i.e. keep repeating it forever) so that I can run a long-running MythTV test unattended?
I believe that you can queue videos to play.. And you can tell it to play all videos in a directory. Make sure that you test switching modes.. Switch from 480i all the way through 1080p.

It could also be something in the way that MythTV is always muting and unmuting the audio...
wsuetholz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-10, 02:03 AM   #32
piotro

Quote:
Stephen,
Some time ago I wrote crude scripts for testing stability of various myth functions. It is using myth telnet remote control interface for simulating user behavior in form of series of repeatable actions like: arrow right;enter;arrow down;enter.
Now I'm on business trip - on Tuesday I'll be back and I'll be happy to forward them to You (if You are interested of course)
br

Old 05-18-10, 10:29 AM   #33
Stephen Warren

piotro, yes that sounds useful. Thanks.
Old 05-20-10, 02:32 PM   #34
piotro

Quote:
piotro, yes that sounds useful. Thanks.
Here are test scripts.
They are crude but usable for me.
For any questions pls PM me.
Good lack !
Attached Files
File Type: gz tests.tar.gz (2.3 KB, 108 views)
Old 05-21-10, 10:52 AM   #35
piotro

Stephen,

I already fill bug report for MythNews issue. See
http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/8467

I still think root cause lays in Nvidia/Qt, not in myth, but anyway - maybe myth devs can investigate this more deeply.
In bug report I attached SQL dump with RSS sites set which hard freezing my ION.
I'm wonder will You be able to reproduce hang in You lab ?

br
Old 05-21-10, 11:01 AM   #36
primerib

I'm convinced the problem is related to what Stephen suggest earlier, code paths in the driver or so. As I've mentioned in previous posts, I do not use Mythtv or Qt for that matter so unless there is more then one cause producing these system hardlocks, Mythtv or Qt can't be the root of the problem as neither is a common denominator with users experiencing this problem.
primerib is offline   Reply With Quote