Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > General Software

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-08-10, 09:25 PM   #1
onmikesline

Default Raid 0 Stripe Recovery

just wanted to Start over and Get a thread going to see anyone has any Knowledge about how to recover from a Virtual Raid 0 Linux base system.
i know i should not keep doc that is very important. all i been getting is that im screwed. and i feel that there's always a solution with out spending $3000 to send them out. any help will be great guys.

The Drives Work fine they are samsung 2 500gbs.
It was on a D-link DNS323

this is the list i tried

tried every software program that Said reaid0 recovery
Installed them back in the d-link, it says ( Please Format )
installed them on my windows pc. i can see the drives but it wants me to format them

this is my next steps on recovery

not to sure on how Hardware Raid controller would react on them
3ware 9650SE-4LPML KIT PCI Express Lanes: 4 SATA II Controller Card??

Format them back to raid0 and Have a program find them like Quick Recovery. i have done this when one of my friends format there drives and i can recover his Files but not to sure on Raid0?

Thinking of something
onmikesline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-10, 10:08 PM   #2
ViN86

Default Re: Raid 0 Stripe Recovery

Can you recover RAID 0 drives? There's no parity bit and no redundancy...

I thought that was the reason people run RAID 01 or 10 which have redundancy, or RAID 3-6 which have parity bits.

From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

Quote:
RAID 0

Striped set without parity or mirroring. Provides improved performance and additional storage but no redundancy or fault tolerance. Because there is no redundancy, this level is not actually a Redundant Array of Independent Disks, i.e. not true RAID. However, because of the similarities to RAID (especially the need for a controller to distribute data across multiple disks), simple stripe sets are normally referred to as RAID 0. Any disk failure destroys the array, which has greater consequences with more disks in the array (at a minimum, catastrophic data loss is twice as severe compared to single drives without RAID). A single disk failure destroys the entire array because when data is written to a RAID 0 drive, the data is broken into fragments. The number of fragments is dictated by the number of disks in the array. The fragments are written to their respective disks simultaneously on the same sector. This allows smaller sections of the entire chunk of data to be read off the drive in parallel, increasing bandwidth. RAID 0 does not implement error checking so any error is unrecoverable. More disks in the array means higher bandwidth, but greater risk of data loss.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-10, 01:39 PM   #3
frenchy2k1

The problems in your case are multiple:
- RAID is not a standard, it is a concept. So, although you can RAID in multiple fashions and using multiple hardware/software, they are rarely compatible with each other (ie: 2 disks in a hardware raid0 will most problably not be recognized in a software array)
- RAID0 uses stripping to gain access speed and bandwidth. So, technically, only a part of your data reside on each drive. Worse, only a part of each data map reside on each drive... (1/<number of drives>).
- Why did your array fail in the first place? If you have a defective HDD or bad sectors, some of your data is probably lost.

As stated by most, RAID0 is risky. It sacrifices reliability for performance. If you cannot accept that sacrifice, don't use it. You can try to place it back in the array, do a quick format and a data recovery but make sure that each drive is in the same position (drive1 as disk1 and so on) and even so, recovery chances are slim. You need your sectors to be perfectly aligned with the old ones to have a chance to read them.

Sorry for your loss. I guess this will be an expensive lesson...
Old 05-10-10, 03:04 PM   #4
onmikesline

yes, and i will never do Raid0 ever again. i had over 300GB of music and 50 gigs of Doc File. im not going to give up just yet, i have a few things to try first
onmikesline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-10, 09:02 AM   #5
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by onmikesline View Post
yes, and i will never do Raid0 ever again. i had over 300GB of music and 50 gigs of Doc File. im not going to give up just yet, i have a few things to try first
If you liked striping, then buy a third drive and run RAID 01. That will give you striping and a mirror image to prevent data loss.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-10, 05:45 AM
johndrem
This message has been deleted by CaptNKILL.