Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-21-10, 03:12 PM   #1
jesmith

Default How to Maximize Performance of GTX 285M

We are benchmarking a new Clevo laptop with a GTX 285M and are getting some pretty pathetic performance numbers. Just about 25% of the performance of a desktop GTX 285.

When I connect to the machine with the benchmark running, it says the current clock frequencies are just 275,301, and not the maximum 600,1000 I would expect.

I've tried disabling PowerMizer:

Option "RegistryDwords" "PowerMizerEnable=0x0"

and I've tried enabling it:

Option "RegistryDwords" "PowerMizerEnable=0x1; PerfLevelSrc=0x2222; PowerMizerDefault=0x1; PowerMizerDefaultAC=0x1"

but neither has any effect.

When I open the nvidia-settings GUI, the PowerMizer tab shows the higher 2 perf levels grayed out. Why would that be?

What do I need to put in my xorg.conf in order to ensure the GPU runs at its maximum performance level?

(I don't care about battery life or fan noise.)
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (48.2 KB, 83 views)
jesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-10, 05:08 PM   #2
jesmith

Update: Running the benchmark under Windows 7, performance is much, much better. So I'm pretty sure that this powermizer thing malfunctioning in Linux is my problem.

I've found many more workarounds on the web (modprobe options, running nvidia-settings -q all in a loop, etc.). But none of them change performance in Linux.

Help?
Old 04-22-10, 12:04 PM   #3
gio___

Default Re: How to Maximize Performance of GTX 285M

hi... read that one: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=141116
gio___ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-10, 12:30 PM   #4
jesmith

Thanks for that link. However, my problem seems to be a little different, in that I get crappy performance when plugged in, and ultra-crappy performance on Battery.

Here's what I know so far:

1) This page: http://http.download.nvidia.com/XFre...ppendix-i.html while somewhat old, seems to imply that I can put those mysterious NVReg_RegistryDwords params into either the xorg.conf OR the modprobe I use to load the driver. I'm using the modprobe.

2) Running "strings" on the driver binaries turns up a bunch of params that I might try to mess with:
PowerMizerDefault
PowerMizerDefaultAC
PowerMizerEnable
PowerMizerHardLevel
PowerMizerHardLevelAC
PowerMizerLevel
PowerMizerLevelAC
PerfLevelSrc

3) None of these seems to have any effect whatsoever. For example, this does not help:
Code:
modprobe nvidia NVreg_RegistryDwords="PowerMizerDefault=0x1; PowerMizerDefaultAC=0x1; PowerMizerEnable=0x0; PowerMizerHardLevel=0x3; PowerMizerHardLevelAC=0x3; PowerMizerLevel=0x3; PowerMizerLevelAC=0x3; PerfLevelSrc=0x2222"
Nor does this:
Code:
modprobe nvidia NVreg_RegistryDwords="PowerMizerDefault=0x1; PowerMizerDefaultAC=0x1; PowerMizerEnable=0x0; PowerMizerHardLevel=0x1; PowerMizerHardLevelAC=0x1; PowerMizerLevel=0x1; PowerMizerLevelAC=0x1; PerfLevelSrc=0x2222"
Nor any of the other permutations I have tried. I have also tried several of these in xorg.conf, in case point #1 was wrong, but they did not have any effect there, either.

4) In Windows, my benchmark gets 60FPS on A/C, and 15FPS on Battery

5) In Linux, my benchmark gets 30FPS on A/C, and 15FPS on Battery

6) On the other thread, NVIDIA said:
Quote:
Unforunately, at this time we do not have a fix yet for the issue that affects some 2X0M GPUs, which has a different root cause.
but then said:
Quote:
Further, if you're seeing differences in behavior with and w/o the power adapter plugged, you are likely seeing a different problem.
So I believe that I must be seeing a different problem.

Hey, NVIDIA guys, what more can I do to help you diagnose this?

BTW: I'm using a Sager 9285 which is really a Clevo D900F.
Old 04-27-10, 06:29 PM   #5
lordmundi

Having the same issue!!! We are getting much lower than expected performance out of the GTX 285M in linux... to the point where we were recommending that all of our customers avoid them. Then we realized that the powermizer appear to be keeping them at less than half their clock potential.

Any way to disable the powermizer or force it to move to max performance? I'm running dual GTX 285M with:

[2:43:33pm - laptopatron - gui] cat /proc/driver/nvidia/version
NVRM version: NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module 185.18.36 Fri Aug 14 17:35:21 PDT 2009
GCC version: gcc version 4.4.1 (Ubuntu 4.4.1-4ubuntu9)

Thanks for any help!
lordmundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-10, 09:45 AM   #6
mrn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesmith View Post
Thanks for that link. However, my problem seems to be a little different, in that I get crappy performance when plugged in, and ultra-crappy performance on Battery.
I have the powermizer bug linked to above. On battery I get the lowest performance level, on power I get the two bottom ones. That would explain your performance issue.

Unfortunatly nvidia hasn't come up with anything in the 6 months the bug has been active...
mrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-10, 10:08 AM   #7
jesmith

Well, at least its a well-known problem. I guess we'll hold off selling thousands of these things until NVIDIA fixes it.
Old 09-05-10, 04:29 AM   #8
mrn

Powermizer issues have been around with geforce 6600 atleast, I doubt you'll see a proper fix for this any time soon. It's been broken for me since I got the laptop about 9-10 months ago.

X crashes randomly with the nvidia driver on battery power, and never scales past powermizer level 1.
mrn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-10, 04:01 PM   #9
jesmith

Just a quick follow-up on this: Using the 256.53 drivers, the performance problems we saw are gone.