Go Back   nV News Forums > General Forums > Archived News Items

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-11-10, 04:00 PM   #1
News

Post myPaint: A Free Painting Application With Photoshop-Like Features

I was in the market for a new simple painting application. Microsoft Paint was getting on my nerves and Photoshop was too large and bulky to open every time I needed to do some simple work.

Plus I wanted something simple I could open for my daughter to draw on and I wanted it to automatically open a new document the entire size of the window.

So I went looking for a new free painting application. I found something called myPaint.

The good part about myPaint is that it has an endless canvas that you can put into fullscreen mode. You can just draw on the entire screen and that was exactly what I needed. I downloaded the 9MB file and installed it.

Now you can start painting or use the menu items to change your color or brush. You can use a eyedropper-like tool to sample colors and it even has layers like Photoshop. It has a lot of options and it is lightweight, but wait! There is more!

It can do pressure sensitive drawing on a tablet or touch enabled machine. This means that if you hold down your finger or stylus the ink will get darker, just like you were holding down a marker or pen.

Let's take a look at the color picking tools. It has a color wheel which they call a color ring. You can select this by going to Color '> Color Ring.

You can choose colors off the wheel or you can choose Colors '> Color Triangle.

From here you can really drill down the exact color that you would like to see.

Now that you have selected your color, let's see what brushes are available to us. As you can see below there are a lot of different brushes like Sketch Pencils, ink, charcoal and more. For example the charcoal brush will look like a piece of charcoal and a sketch brush will look like you are using a pencil.

You can see some of the included brushes below:

I decided to play around with the ink brush and these were my results:

As I was drawing I noticed that if you right-click, you can cycle through your color history. So by accidentally right-clicking I changed my color mid-stroke. That is awesome. And a color history? Adobe should be taking notes from this little lightweight free painting application. Oh and did I mention that it was free yet?

Moving onto layers. For those of you who do not know, layers is what Photoshop uses to differentiate between something being on top of or below another object. For instance I can have a text or image layer on top and then add a layer below it and paint.

The paint will stay behind the top text or image. To add a layer click on Layers ' New (below current). This is what I did and then I painted a little:

So as you can see my yellow lines and sun stay behind my first layer. This is very cool stuff!

Is anyone out there using this as a full fledged graphics editing application? We would love to hear from you in the comments.

Similar MakeUseOf Articles

More...
News is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-10, 04:10 PM   #2
Bman212121

Default Re: myPaint ' A Free Painting Application With Photoshop-Like Features

Paint .Net

/Thread
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-10, 07:20 PM   #3
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman212121 View Post
Paint .Net

/Thread
LOL I was just about to post the same thing verbatim.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-10, 10:35 PM   #4
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
LOL I was just about to post the same thing verbatim.
Verb ate 'em, IMHO.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-10, 10:44 PM   #5
ragejg
nV News Alumni

Send a message via AIM to ragejg

Quadruple verbatim.

I freaking love Paint.NET.

I think this was featured on Lifehacker recently. I was gonna try it out, but... meh...

Paint.NET.

And staek.

[/thread]

2010-2011 Reviews: GTX 570 | GTX 580 | GTS 450 | GTX 460 | GTX 465
Pre-2010 Reviews: 6600 GT | XMS 4400 DDR | SilenX Cooler | 6800 | 5900 XT | Personal Cinema | 5900 NU

Phenom II x6 1090t @ 4.0 ghz | Asus M498TD-EVO Am3 SLI nForce 980a | 2x EVGA GTX 560 SLI | 2x4gb DDR3-1333 | Antec EarthWatts EA650 PSU | 60gb Mushkin Calisto Enhanced Sandforce SSD | 2x WD2500KS RAID 0 | Sunbeam Tuniq 3 case | 24" Asus 19x10 LED LCD | 26" Panasonic 720p TV | Sidewinder X5 mouse | Logitech MX5500 & Revolution mouse | Altec Lansing 5.1 THX-Certified audio | Win 7 Ultimate | desk | couch

ragejg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-10, 04:36 AM   #6
betterdan

I just wish Paint.Net had a lasso with auto edge detector. It would make it much easier to trace around an object to crop it.