Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-09-11, 02:29 PM   #1
NebuK

Default Forcedeth on MCP67- jumbo-frames and 50% packet loss on 2.6.38?

Heho,

i've got a MCP67-type ethernet connector which worked fine so far. I just recently upgraded to gigabit ethernet which led me to try to increase the my mtu to increase throughput. I found that on 2.6.35 this didn't work with a "SIOCSIFMTU: Invalid argument" with all values >1500. So i browsed the commits to forcedeth.c in the mainline kernel a bit and something led me to believe that it'd work in kernel after 2.6.37 - so i've tried a few recent kerneles, in fact almost all from 2.6.37 upwards. All of them exhibited a a problem with the forcedeth driver (or something else) - they lost over 50% of the packets, regardless of linkstate (i've tried all link speeds/duplex configs via ethtool) and remote station or cable (i've tried a few combinations). In all cases over 50% paket loss - that can't be right...

so my question is - is that a known problem? If so, is there a fix yet? And more importantly - can the MCP67 do jumbo frames at all? (i'm not that sure anymore - but why would anyone build a gigabit ethernet controller without jumbo frame support ... doesn't make that much sense, wasting so much throughput-potential...).

Thanks in Advance, and Kind Regards
- Dario Ernst
NebuK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-11, 07:12 PM   #2
Deanjo

Default Re: Forcedeth on MCP67- jumbo-frames and 50% packet loss on 2.6.38?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NebuK View Post
Heho,

i've got a MCP67-type ethernet connector which worked fine so far. I just recently upgraded to gigabit ethernet which led me to try to increase the my mtu to increase throughput. I found that on 2.6.35 this didn't work with a "SIOCSIFMTU: Invalid argument" with all values >1500. So i browsed the commits to forcedeth.c in the mainline kernel a bit and something led me to believe that it'd work in kernel after 2.6.37 - so i've tried a few recent kerneles, in fact almost all from 2.6.37 upwards. All of them exhibited a a problem with the forcedeth driver (or something else) - they lost over 50% of the packets, regardless of linkstate (i've tried all link speeds/duplex configs via ethtool) and remote station or cable (i've tried a few combinations). In all cases over 50% paket loss - that can't be right...

so my question is - is that a known problem? If so, is there a fix yet? And more importantly - can the MCP67 do jumbo frames at all? (i'm not that sure anymore - but why would anyone build a gigabit ethernet controller without jumbo frame support ... doesn't make that much sense, wasting so much throughput-potential...).

Thanks in Advance, and Kind Regards
- Dario Ernst
Have you bothered asking on the lkml since nvidia is not the one coding forcedeth?
Deanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-11, 04:08 AM   #3
NebuK

Default Re: Forcedeth on MCP67- jumbo-frames and 50% packet loss on 2.6.38?

Uh, you really do have a point there, i've somehow thought that here might be the better place ... - i'll as there too. Does - maybe - anyone have a idea nevertheless?
NebuK is offline   Reply With Quote