I've been using the following machine for quite some time now:

Corsair HX-620 PSU
ASUS Rampage Formula
Q9450 @ 3.6Ghz
8800GT 512MB @ stock
ASUS Xonar D2X
4GB DDR2
Fedora 12

The machine's been rock stable, and folding 24/7 all this time, I scored a new 9800GT card to add to the system in the second PCI-E 16x slot.

The new card is an ASUS 9800GT 1024MB.

I couldn't get the machine to boot into X at all previously, but then found the VGA_ARB patch and installed the rpmfusion drivers which have the VGA_ARB patch applied, which allows X to start, but then I get problems.

On the 9800GT I can run 3D (seemingly continuously)

On the 8800GT I can start 3D (in this case glxgears) and it will hard lock the system (SSH sessions into the machine freeze as well) after 3 seconds of glxgears. Sometimes it goes as long as 10 seconds, sometimes it is immediate.

Now both cards work perfectly individually, and under Windows 7 both cards work at the same time with full 3D just fine.

I bought the 9800GT because I was aware that mixing card generations can cause 3D problems, but in this case I was under the impression both these cards use the same core anyway, which would not present that issue.

My aim is to get two monitors to work on either card. I do NOT need 3 monitors. The reason I want the second card, is that I want to fold on two GPUs 24/7, I don't need to use the second GPU at all, and if I could hide it from X and still run cuda / GPU2 I'd be happy.

I've attached an nvidia log run just before starting glxgears (can't get it after due to hard lockup) and an xorg log with verbose 6.

I've tried the pci=nommconf kernel arg and that had no effect. I'm running 64 bit Fedora 12 with 195.36.15 through rpmfusion rpm on kernel 2.6.32.

Anything else I can provide, I'd be happy to get asap. Thanks in advance
Attached Files
File Type: gz Xorg.0.log.gz (15.8 KB, 57 views)
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (59.1 KB, 60 views)
dsio is offline   Reply With Quote