Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

View Poll Results: What brand sound card do you use?
Creative (Live, Audigy) 26 60.47%
Turtle Beach 4 9.30%
Hercules 6 13.95%
Integrated sound (CMI, nForce, etc) 6 13.95%
Other, not listed 1 2.33%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-09-02, 07:19 AM   #13
SavagePaladin
info*****

nforce doesn't NEED new drivers all the time...since 1.05 they've worked perfectly.
I was in the AE beta program, and it took what 7 months after I bought the card for it to have GOOD drivers (even with betas)
You know actually, it wasn't entirely 'fixed' until 1.89, the new officials. Make that 8 or more months?
BTW Creative Labs reworked their driver arch, they're releasing a lot more regularly now it seems. I still can't be bothered.
SavagePaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-02, 09:48 AM   #14
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally posted by SavagePaladin
they're releasing a lot more regularly now it seems.
Yeah, every 8 months as opposed to every year.

Now that I've sent my rebate form in, my Santa Cruz is going to be free, hehe
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-02, 10:44 AM   #15
Gehenna_CA

Well, I don't know what's up with the rest of your guy's boards but, as I've already said, my AE worked perfectly since day one. My AE didn't NEED any new drivers either since everyone I've tried has worked perfectly since the day I bought it. Almost a year ago now. No pops, no clicks, hums, etc. Just good, clean sound and smooth speaker transitions. I guess its the same as video cards, the same card can work perfectly for some people since day one and for others its buggy. Go figure.
Visiontek Geforce4 Ti4400@305/650
Pioneer Slotload 16x DVD-Rom Optowrite 40x12x40 CDRW
20gig 7200rpm ATA100 HD, Philips A.E.
19" Daytek Perfect Flat, Inspire 5300s
WinXP PRO/w SP1
Gehenna_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-02, 11:54 AM   #16
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Sound cards are no different than video cards or any other piece of hardware.

I did have an AE once, but no matter what driver set I tried, I could never get it to properly detect my Sidewinder Game Pad under Win 98 or 2000. It was too bad, too because the AE had awesome sound quality.

As I look back, though, the best sound card I ever owned, IMO was my Aureal Vortex 2. Great hardware, solid drivers and digital output. Too bad with my VIA chipset it would refuse to function under Win 2k.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-02, 04:28 PM   #17
SavagePaladin
info*****

Quote:
Originally posted by Gehenna_CA
Well, I don't know what's up with the rest of your guy's boards but, as I've already said, my AE worked perfectly since day one. My AE didn't NEED any new drivers either since everyone I've tried has worked perfectly since the day I bought it. Almost a year ago now. No pops, no clicks, hums, etc. Just good, clean sound and smooth speaker transitions. I guess its the same as video cards, the same card can work perfectly for some people since day one and for others its buggy. Go figure.
It wasn't so much sound bugs with me specifically, but EAX bugs. Go figure.

I heard WinXP suppot was pretty bad for a long time, though.
Old 09-09-02, 05:11 PM   #18
Gehenna_CA

I've been using it on XP since I got it and have never encountered a problem. I've also used two different game pads on it without flaw. A gravis Digital Exterminator and some cheapy. The only game I've had EAX problems with was SOF2 and that was fix by some download of the SOF site or something. It wasn't a driver problem it was a flaw in the game.

The only complaint I have about their drivers is that you have to manually install. Unless you are completely useless that isn't hard either. Maybe people are botching their installs, I don't know.
Visiontek Geforce4 Ti4400@305/650
Pioneer Slotload 16x DVD-Rom Optowrite 40x12x40 CDRW
20gig 7200rpm ATA100 HD, Philips A.E.
19" Daytek Perfect Flat, Inspire 5300s
WinXP PRO/w SP1
Gehenna_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-02, 05:31 PM   #19
volt

I use C-media. Aint bad for onboard and my cheap speakers
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]
volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-02, 08:47 AM   #20
SavagePaladin
info*****

I had an issue in Max Payne where some of the sounds (like the washers in the laundromat) would be significantly louder than they should be. I don't think it was fixed until 1.89

Anyway, it ticked me off since I loved that game

That same bit affected other games, but I don't know which offhand.