Newegg Daily Deals

View Poll Results: Vote!
Retail 27 27.55%
Steam 71 72.45%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-26-10, 08:39 AM   #1
Kain

Default Retail vs. Steam

Generally, which "format" do you prefer to buy your PC games?

One more thing! Is it true that once you install and use any recent PC game, you cannot sell it because the key has been used?
Kain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-10, 08:42 AM   #2
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Re: Retail vs. Steam

Steam. Less crap in my house and I can install/uninstall as many times as I want.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-10, 08:43 AM   #3
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
Steam. Less crap in my house and I can install/uninstall as many times as I want.
ok, but some games still have activation limits.
Old 05-26-10, 08:58 AM   #4
grey_1

I'll usually go for whatever has the best price. If they are both the same, then I'll get it off steam.
Old 05-26-10, 09:14 AM   #5
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
What does Steam have to do with the latter part of that? They have activation DRM on Steam as well, in many cases when the retail copy does not like Risen and Batman: AA.

Anyway, I prefer retail. Steam is very convenient, but you pay for that convenience with extra DRM and an annoying client, which is not appealing to me. If a game is Steamworks I don't avoid it, and for multiplayer games I actually like Steamworks, but for a non-Steamworks game I don't see why I should pay the same amount of money for more DRM, more hassles and less product (i.e. no packaging, manual or perhaps extras).

Plus on principle I feel like people are throwing consumer rights out the window for the convenience of downloading things from home, be it games on Steam or movies on iTunes, and I dislike the road that is leading us down. One day we will own nothing, ever, and everything will be streamed and service-based, and people who support Steam and iTunes and other such things are paving the way for that. I don't want to be a part of it when I don't have to be.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-10, 09:15 AM   #6
Lfctony

Retail. The 50-100% extra that you pay when buying from Steam... MEH!!!
Fafnir: Intel Core 2 Quad 6600@3.2Ghz|eVGA 780i SLI|PNY GTX480 |Kingston DDR667 4096MB|WD Black Caviar 500GB|Seagate SATA 250GB|Seagate SATA 200GB| Seagate SATA 160GB|OptiArc AD-7173S DVDRW|Nec 3351 DVDRW|Creative X-FI XM|LG Flatron W2261V|Logitech X-530|Thermaltake Armor|Amptac 850W SLI PSU|Logitech G9 Mouse|Xigmatek HDT S-1283 CPU Cooler|Windows 7/FW 257.21

PS2 - Wii - Xbox - Xbox360 - PSP - GC - PS3 Owner

Boycott Starforce...

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?
Lfctony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-10, 09:21 AM   #7
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lfctony View Post
Retail. The 50-100% extra that you pay when buying from Steam... MEH!!!
True, cost on Steam is actually higher most of the time, even in the US. Steam may have weekend deals that are nice, but so does Gogamer and Amazon, and on new titles amazon often sells at much lower prices, often with $10 gift certificates toward your next purchase.

On Alpha Protocol I got the game for $6 off when I pre-ordered it, which is $44. Then I got a $10 gift certificate for amazon.com with purchase, which makes it $34. I get free release-day shipping as an amazon prime member as well, and anyone can get free shipping of the 3-5 day delivery variety.

Steam wants the full $50.

So, $34 versus $50, and the cheaper copy gets packaging and a disc, so you don't have to download it all or burn a backup, and also you are supporting point of sale rights for consumers, rather than account-based ownership.

Seems like a no-brainer to me.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-10, 09:22 AM   #8
ViN86

Steam. No CD's, no keys to worry about, and I can access/install my games anywhere and on any of my machines even if I forget to bring the disc with me. (I shuttle back and forth between Boston and Albany often)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
Anyway, I prefer retail. Steam is very convenient, but you pay for that convenience with extra DRM and an annoying client, which is not appealing to me. If a game is Steamworks I don't avoid it, and for multiplayer games I actually like Steamworks, but for a non-Steamworks game I don't see why I should pay the same amount of money for more DRM, more hassles and less product (i.e. no packaging, manual or perhaps extras).
When you never play online I can see how you would find the client annoying. But I use the client to connect with friends and chat. Also the overlay in game is extremely convenient, but that can be used with any game.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-10, 09:24 AM   #9
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
ok, but some games still have activation limits.
The only games I have with activation limits blow, so I've installed once, played and uninstalled.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-10, 09:25 AM   #10
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
Steam. No CD's, no keys to worry about, and I can access/install my games anywhere and on any of my machines even if I forget to bring the disc with me. (I shuttle back and forth between Boston and Albany often)

When you never play online I can see how you would find the client annoying. But I use the client to connect with friends and chat. Also the overlay in game is extremely convenient, but that can be used with any game.
Yup, I love steam. I rather have the "annoying" client over a physical media.
Old 05-26-10, 10:16 AM   #11
WeReWoLf

Send a message via MSN to WeReWoLf

steam for me, because in most cases, the games are cheaper than in stores.
WeReWoLf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-10, 10:22 AM   #12
Yaboze

A mix of both, depending on price and such. I like the no-cd thing, but sometimes the prices are full MSRP on Steam and discounted elsewhere.
Yaboze is offline   Reply With Quote